Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This isn't intended to be a reply or argument against the other thread, but rather an argument of its own.

Jesus, if he was real, is long dead. Very long dead. And in spite of the many people who would contest that because of various interpretations of the bible, any sincere attempt to answer the question: "Is Jesus (Christ) alive and well?" is going to find nothing. All framings of his opinions, beliefs, and actions are almost entirely irrelevant to any modern discussion of the real world.

People intuit this. Most Christians, though they inform their own values from the bible and the teachings of Jesus, by-and-large recognize that political debates need pragmatic, non-biblical justifications for policies. Even extraordinarily Christian in origin positions, like anti-gay or anti-abortion ones, tend to be surrounded with non-Christian arguments, like the nature of personhood or the traditions of marriage.

The actual distance between what was a moral concern in biblical times and modern times is so great that only the most basic of moral messages, like the golden rule and murder, still have any meaning at all. The core thesis I'm making is that the solid majority of moral imperatives set down in the bible are either meaningless in the modern era, or now viewed as actively immoral.

Jesus' words don't really matter to the modern world, and have to be stretched extraordinarily to fit much of anything.

quote:

“This place is not a place of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
Nothing valued is here.
This place is a message and part of a system of messages.
Pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us.
We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location. It increases toward a center. The center of danger is here, of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present in your time as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.”

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In before CoC and Kyrie show up to spread the good words of poor dears and Catholicism.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh wow another athiest :circlefap: thread. Also another where all us horrible theists are deluded idiots who are no different than some ancap trad catholic who probably reads to much hhh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh wow another athiest :circlefap: thread. Also another where all us horrible theists are deluded idiots who are no different than some ancap trad catholic who probably reads to much hhh.

:shrug: Kyrie get's his Jesus :circlefap: thread.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: Kyrie get's his Jesus :circlefap: thread.

Mostly its you guys telling Kyrie he is wrong. Also most likely he will be posting in this one to. So you're expanding his lovely presence with this thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Mostly its you guys telling Kyrie he is wrong. Also most likely he will be posting in this one to. So you're expanding his lovely presence with this thread.

True. Got me there. I just wanted to contribute :smith:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Most Christians, though they inform their own values from the bible and the teachings of Jesus, by-and-large recognize that political debates need pragmatic, non-biblical justifications for policies. Even extraordinarily Christian in origin positions, like anti-gay or anti-abortion ones, tend to be surrounded with non-Christian arguments, like the nature of personhood or the traditions of marriage.

I don't think being anti-gay or anti-abortion ought to be "extraordinarily" Christian positions, after all there's a lot about those patriarchal, controlling ideas in the Old Testament and the bullshit Paul was making up as he went, but really none in the sayings of this esoteric Master we see quoted occasionally.

In any case, sure, pragmatism is a guide for creating and executing policies; but without the code of ethics provided largely by the words of Jesus, Western civilization would have no framework. Before Jesus, it was a strange idea that people should pay attention to sick people, or poor people, or prisoners or outsiders of any kind, really. We just took it for granted that you butchered those people outside the city gates as you deemed it necessary, and looked after your own family and your own state. But because of the cultural virus of the words of Jesus, we now have a framework of human rights. Liberals in power may only allude to these rights insincerely, or intending that they be applied unequally in practice, but nonetheless they do say the words. In fact most of us as citizens, if we fall for war fever, do so for humanitarian reasons that have been fabricated for us to believe in.

One could even argue that in the United States, all political arguments based in ethics pit two religious worldviews against each other: the first, a Christian worldview that seeks to help others and live a life in balance and free of ostentation, and the second a brutal neo-Roman state paganism where manifestations of strength and power are worshiped as gods, and the weak are to be deplored and further exploited. Very often, self-identifying "Christians" fall into the latter category.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ikanreed posted:

The actual distance between what was a moral concern in biblical times and modern times is so great that only the most basic of moral messages, like the golden rule and murder, still have any meaning at all. The core thesis I'm making is that the solid majority of moral imperatives set down in the bible are either meaningless in the modern era, or now viewed as actively immoral.

Jesus' words don't really matter to the modern world, and have to be stretched extraordinarily to fit much of anything.
I think you'd have to break down what moral imperatives you're talking about.

I think you can draw a lot of lessons about humanity (in the general sense) from the Bible, but the same would probably true of any other similar set of collected writings. When I say humanity here, in order to be really loving explicit, I mean what you might call 'aspects of human nature and behavior, as observed practically.' The same stuff that comes up in Shakespeare.

EXPLICIT DISCLAIMER: I make absolutely no claims for the Bible other than literary and historical value. (Also in anticipation: It has been a seminal influence on European thought for over a millenium. This makes it a historically important set of documents.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bizarro Something Awful is leaking!!

I expect the next one to be a well-thought and eloquent essay by Bizarro Kyoon about the dangers of beliefs without evidence. Don't let me down, alternate universe!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Is there really any difference between someone who worships a God in the Christian tradition and someone who worships the rejection of that same God in the Christian tradition

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nessus posted:

I think you'd have to break down what moral imperatives you're talking about.

I think you can draw a lot of lessons about humanity (in the general sense) from the Bible, but the same would probably true of any other similar set of collected writings. When I say humanity here, in order to be really loving explicit, I mean what you might call 'aspects of human nature and behavior, as observed practically.' The same stuff that comes up in Shakespeare.

EXPLICIT DISCLAIMER: I make absolutely no claims for the Bible other than literary and historical value. (Also in anticipation: It has been a seminal influence on European thought for over a millenium. This makes it a historically important set of documents.)

I mean if you take literally every statement in the bible that is of one of the following forms:
1. Literally imperative(such as thou shall not worship craven idols)
2. [Class of Action] is an abomination/holy/blessed/etc (such as gay sex, shrimp, women having authority over men)
3. God directly punishes someone for [action] (such as spilling your seed, mocking a bald dude)

The majority of those would be either amoral or immoral guidance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ikanreed posted:

I mean if you take literally every statement in the bible that is of one of the following forms:
1. Literally imperative(such as thou shall not worship craven idols)
2. [Class of Action] is an abomination/holy/blessed/etc (such as gay sex, shrimp, women having authority over men)
3. God directly punishes someone for [action] (such as spilling your seed, mocking a bald dude)

The majority of those would be either amoral or immoral guidance.
Yeah but there's a bunch of parables and stories and poems and poo poo in there too. It INCLUDES but IS NOT JUST a legal code.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nessus posted:

Yeah but there's a bunch of parables and stories and poems and poo poo in there too. It INCLUDES but IS NOT JUST a legal code.

That's completely true, but I think you'll find the grand total of implied stances from parables is in the low double digits, and won't shift the balance.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Nessus posted:

These "parables and stories and poo poo" typically act as justifications for or model examples of abiding by/illustrations of these legal codes though, or run in the same thematic spirit. If anything the Transfiguration is the Bible reflecting on itself and proclaiming every law, parable, allegory, or whatever else within it as being part of one whole.
A lot of the stuff we consider really heinous in the Bible Jesus redacted with the New Covenant, however.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 6, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you should read a book or two to familiarise yourself with the object of your critique.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

:gas:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfXzM1o2T2w

also yeah :gas:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lSNctxeB8c

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cool poo poo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ib0e9mU3g

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this is now the bionicdance megathread

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

There are better versions of those parables elsewhere without the bigot baggage. I'll take Aesop over an apostle any day. Better poetry and songs as well.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I come into this thread with severe food poisoning from eating at a poorly-kept mexican restaurant and throw up all over the place

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Jesus got accidentally killed by a drone
Jesus starved in front of a fat man
Jesus was killed by a cop, charges dropped
Jesus choked on crisp Beijing air
God Hates Jesus

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 6, 2015

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

McAlister posted:

There are better versions of those parables elsewhere without the bigot baggage. I'll take Aesop over an apostle any day. Better poetry and songs as well.

My favorite fable by Aesop is the story of Hermes and the Arabs! See, Hermes is transporting a cargo of dishonesty and lies through the desert to distribute to all the nations of the world. But when he reaches Arabia, his cart breaks down, and the locals loot it all. Moral: Arabs are all thieves and liars!

So inspiring!

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Inevitably religion threads here seem to end up a mess. First a few antitheists show up and quote scripture, interpreting it more literally than most fundamentalists. Some idiot will cite Richard Carrier and make a stupid argument that Jesus was a myth. Than CoC and Kyrie will show up, and people start debating their strange idiosyncratic views, which will be taken as somehow representing a position that is worth rebutting. At the very least if we are going to engage in a debate lets pick some interesting religious voices as counterpoints, Terry Eagleton's "Reason, Faith and Revolution" nad his review of the "God Delusion" (http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n20/terry-eagleton/lunging-flailing-mispunching) was a pretty interesting defense of Christianity for instance.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 6, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite fable by Aesop is the story of Hermes and the Arabs! See, Hermes is transporting a cargo of dishonesty and lies through the desert to distribute to all the nations of the world. But when he reaches Arabia, his cart breaks down, and the locals loot it all. Moral: Arabs are all thieves and liars!

So inspiring!

Never heard that one and don't care if its real it not.

The beauty if Aesops 600 + fables is that they don't claim to be divinely inspired and we can toss stupid ones on the rubbish heap. The well known fables are ones like The Boy Who Cried Wolf and we don't have to defend the bad ones because we like the good ones. We can just say - "yeah that ones bullshit" and move on.

Same with coyote tales, Brer Rabbit stories, Anansi fables, etc.

But not with the bible. It ties all its stuff into a single narrative and demands believers honor the bad as well as the good. It puts poo poo in the sandwich and says eat or starve.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Barlow posted:

Inevitably religion threads here seem to end up a mess. First a few antitheists show up and quote scripture, interpreting it more literally than most fundamentalists. Some idiot will cite Richard Carrier and make a stupid argument that Jesus was a myth. Than CoC and Kyrie will show up, and people start debating their strange idiosyncratic views, which will be taken as somehow representing a position that is worth rebutting. At the very least if we are going to engage in a debate lets pick some interesting religious voices as counterpoints, Terry Eagleton's "Reason, Faith and Revolution" nad his review of the "God Delusion" (http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n20/terry-eagleton/lunging-flailing-mispunching) was a pretty interesting defense of Christianity for instance.

Terry Eagleton's article operates on snide attacks and an absurd amount of assumptions that he feels no reason to back up since he can default to the old chestnut that theology is not to be commented on by those who haven't spent three decades studying it. in any event "His transcendence and invisibility are part of what he is" god is conveniently beyond any attempts to see or understand him it seems.

One of the letters in response brings up some points:

quote:

One doesn’t need to have Richard Dawkins’s level of certainty to find Terry Eagleton’s Catholic sermon utterly incoherent (LRB, 19 October). On the one hand, according to Eagleton, God is transcendent, invisible, not a principle nor an entity, not even ‘existent’: indeed, ‘in one sense of that word it would be perfectly coherent for religious types to claim that God does not in fact exist.’ This God is neither inside nor outside the universe, but is mysteriously ‘the condition of possibility’.

On the other hand, Eagleton just happens to know that this God chose to reveal himself in Jesus Christ, that he created the world ‘out of love rather than need’, and because this act was gratuitous God is ‘an artist who did it for the sheer love or hell of it’. This God ‘is free of any neurotic need for us and wants simply to be allowed to love us’, poor fellow. Of course, Eagleton concedes, given the occasional awfulness of man, this God, like Yahweh, might ‘well have come to regret his handiwork some aeons ago’. (Was the Indonesian tsunami two years ago an expression of this God’s distaste for his handiwork, like the original Flood?)

Eagleton mocks Dawkins’s mockery of ‘a personal God’ (‘some kind of chap’), but how is this gratuitously loving and unneurotic but possibly rather cross and murderously neurotic modernist artist who speaks to us via Jesus not a personal God? It would not be obnoxious of Richard Dawkins to ask how Eagleton knows these things. The reply, I think, would be threefold: Eagleton was brought up a Catholic and is reverting to his roots; God or Christ has somehow ‘spoken’ to Eagleton at some point in his life; and Eagleton just has ‘faith’ that his assertions are true. These are all forms of irrationality, however understandable or even magnificent we find them, and it is not overweening for rational atheism to expose this irrationality, as it always has done. Eagleton says that the Old Testament Jews ‘had faith in God in the sense that I have faith in you’. Would these be the same Jews who agree with Eagleton’s confident pronouncement that Christ, with the help of St Paul, has finally shown us how ‘the law is cursed’? Eagleton may have oodles of faith in me but I am free to have not much faith in him, or in his God.

Crowsbeak posted:

Its hard out there for a theist these days...

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 6, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Terry Eagleton's article operates on snide attacks and an absurd amount of assumptions that he feels no reason to back up since he can default to the old chestnut that theology is not to be commented on by those who haven't spent three decades studying it. in any event "His transcendence and invisibility are part of what he is" god is conveniently beyond any attempts to see or understand him it seems.

read a fucken book man.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

To be fair, you do believe in Iron Age fairy stories. That is pretty idiotic.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

McAlister posted:

But not with the bible. It ties all its stuff into a single narrative and demands believers honor the bad as well as the good.

No it doesn't.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

zeal posted:

To be fair, you do believe in Iron Age fairy stories. That is pretty idiotic.

oh dang, look out y'all

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Oh wow look at me I'm so postmodern I don't believe in anything.

E:
Christians: ended slavery
Atheists: ???

Miltank fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 6, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

E:

Christians: for slavery before they were against it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Let's ignore that Christian scripture was used to justify slavery for centuries, in favor of noting that abolitionists happened to belong to the dominant religion.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Miltank posted:

E:

Defeated the Nazis

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miltank posted:

Christians: invented the galley slave

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Starving Autist posted:

Christians: for slavery before they were against it.

Every civilization in the history of the world has had slavery until pious Christians realized how poo poo it was.

E:^the wikipage you linked says otherwise brah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cpaf posted:

Is there really any difference between someone who worships a God in the Christian tradition and someone who worships the rejection of that same God in the Christian tradition

Don't have to get up early on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

OwlFancier posted:

Don't have to get up early on Sunday.

Most Christians I know don't.

• Locked thread