Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

vessbot posted:

Then how can God exhibit emotions, reactions, intentions, and speech acts like the ones produced by our nervous system, without something significantly like it?

I realize this is way back in the thread but: robots and AI in video games and computers are capable of fooling a decent portion of the population into thinking they're real humans, with emotions, reactions, etc. They clearly do not possess something significantly like our nervous system.

Not to mention that they can seem even more humanlike if you're being told a story about one of them by someone who believed it, which is basically what reading in the bible about God is like. Let alone if the story about the one time someone interacted with them was translated through a few other languages before you read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

However, the AI still have rational and logical explanations for their processes versus some mystical explanation of their reactions and appeals.

And again, the AI seem human to us because WE like project our humanity upon things, we tend to anthropomorphize everything we see. Maybe we did the same thing to the idea of a God to make him more relatable, who knows.

You seem to have missed the point completely. Things don't have to think to appear like they're thinking to someone, especially if you hear about their supposed behavior secondhand, let alone thirdhand.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

LESS Relevant? How so? Its been pushed into the public sphere and political sphere even more in the last decade, despite the decline of religion in the population.

It absolutely has not, unless your definition is "when I bothered to pay attention to it".

For gently caress's sake how was adding "in god we trust" back in the 50s, jsut because all the commies were atheist, not that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

The scale has only increased was my point.

It has not, again, unless your only point of reference is not paying attention in the past and paying attention now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

It'd be nice if the Gallup poll had some bearing of the sheer amount of Right Wing theological dumbassery that gets voted in by a vocal minority

Well, consider what I have to deal with is right now, and somehow a vocal minority managed to overwhelm a non-vocal majority....yes? Its all well and good that the majority feels these things are in decline, but it has no real bearing if the vocal minority continues to wield the legislative power.

What do you have to deal with now that you didn't have to deal with in the 2000s or 90s or 80s or 70s or 60s or 50s or...

Seriously, did you just live a sheltered life until 4 years ago or something? Do you literally not remember the Bush administration? Did they never teach you a major factor in why Reagan won? And clearly you've never heard about what went on during and before World War II.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 3, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

I am well aware of what happened prior to World War 2 and Reagan's Partisan political gaming of the system, but religious influenced partisanship HAS been on the rise for the past decade, and sharply increased under George W. Bush and even more so after Obama's election.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/02/02/trends-in-party-identification-of-religious-groups/

Are you denying there has been a significant increased in recent years? Or were you just too busy to watch CPAC.

You're confusing religion moving away from being a solidly bipartisan thing to shifting pretty much wholesale to one side. That doesn't mean religion is increasing its influence.

Remember that it was completely legal for a state to ban teaching evolution as late as 1968. Mandatng teaching creationism in school, alongside evolution, wasn't illegal for a state to do until 1987.

Edit: seriously your link says "everyone is more republican, and some religions even more so". That's it.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 3, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Here comes the metaphysics....

Quit whining about people discussing the literal subject of the thread, guy who thinks America is more religious/affected by the religious now than ever before.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

So you are saying its not a problem anymore. Got it.

:allears:

I'm saying it's way less of a problem than it has ever been to date.

CommieGIR posted:

Its such a strawman that the issues it brings up are currently going before the Supreme Court, meanwhile I'm having to deal with a state rapidly defunding their public education so they can dump it into Christian charter schools. What a strawman!

See this is how I know you're just a dude who hasn't paid attention to the past. Until the 60s, Christianity was straight up taught and mandatory in many public schools nationwide, before about the 1930s it was even a majority of them.

Only a moron would conclude that it's a bigger problem now.

The very fact that churches make active efforts to fight larger society these days, instead of BEING society is why it's so much less of a problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

You can claim its not as much of a problem, but it IS a problem, and one that directly affects me and people around me.

The only real difference between now and then is that it is now controversial to propose such fundamentalist legislation, whereas then it was not. The problem has not decreased, its just become more public.

It affected you and the people around you a lot more 10 years ago, a lot more than that 10 years prior to that, and so on. You really don't seem to understand how weakened the churches are these days.

Remember that it was legal to require creation to be taught beside evolution until the 80s, rather than having to do elaborate dodges to attempt to get money into Christian schools as they try to do today. Which is something they do because about 10 years ago attempting to mandate creationism as "intelligent design" got called for its bullshit. Which is something they did because attempting to skirt the supreme court rulings about creationism proper failed in the 90s. And so on.

You're like the idiot suburban parent who's convinced the black people are about to come out to Whitesburg at any moment to steal things. You lack any ability to comprehend actual risks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: Man, you and the ad hominems.

I am not denying that they are weakened, but if you think that has somehow weakened their push in legislation and education, it has not.

And if you can't argue without making poor comparisons and personal insults, I'm not likely to be swayed.

That's not an ad hominem, it's a description of your sort of outlook. Those people also barely pay attention to what they fear except when they read something alarmist.

Again, child, the organizations didn't need to exist when Christian control was an accepted and unchallenged aspect of everyday life. You don't need to lobby to pull back abortion when abortion is massively illegal. You don't need to lobby to put church back in schools when church is in schools. You don't need to lobby to crush the gays when crush the gays is law in all 50 states. You don't need to lobby to put the 10 commandments back on courthouses when pretty much all courthouses openly reference god.

But no, you're a 21st century idiot who thinks that hearing about whiny Christians means they have more influence than when churches literally controlled major aspects of education and civic life directly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost as if you can't put two and two together and realize that with Citizens United, an increased presence of theocratic lobbying groups is not a good thing.

And considering the DECREASE in availability of abortion, how do you explain the increased stigma against Roe Vs Wade?

You act like an increased presence of religious lobby groups is a GOOD thing, regardless of the declination of the presence of the Church in daily life. Frankly, I have no reason to agree with you considering your common stances on nearly everything you talk about and your laughable pedantic put downs.

Citizens United did about jackshit. The lobbying groups exist precisely because they're no longer the default power structure.

Abortion has been in practice heavily restricted in most of those areas ever since roe v wade happened, which is no surprise since those areas were actively banning it in total prior to the ruling.

It is a GOOD THING because it means THEY'VE LOST CONTROL. You don't need a dedicated lobby group when you're in control, like they were for hundreds of years. Wake the gently caress up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kylra posted:

Actually, I kind of like this new relatively recent atmosphere of not being guaranteed to be immediately informed I will burn in hell for eternity for sleeping with a woman or w/e.

Also, I am about 100% sure that Nintendo Kid doesn't actually think the lobbying groups are a good thing in themselves. Just that they're a sign of the underlying progressive shift in (at least) western cultures. There wouldn't be a reactionary movement if they didn't have something to react to.

Precisely. No one opened 500 creationist lobbying groups in say 1960 because in 1960 several states still mandated that evolution was banned from being taught in public schools, and it'd be legal for a school district to do if their state didn't explicitly mandate it. No one needed 500 lobbying groups against the gays in 1980 because they had no rights and it was still legally ok to send people to jail for being gay until 2003.

And the fact that there are so many for each topic tends to flow to the fact that they have toruble working together to implement anything, much like how you have 6000 splitter remnants of the original american Communist party.

CommieGIR posted:

Frankly, I don't care. He seems to think that Church's are going quietly into the night when the complete opposite is happening and they are making people's lives hell while they slowly fall.

But I'm done talking to someone who thinks that no matter what talking down to others will get you taken seriously.

Haha so you're literally incapable of reading? I explicitly said they're going kicking and screaming, not quietly. Also lo loving l at you for claiming they're making people's lives hell now as if they weren't doing it in the past when they were comfortable King poo poo of politics.

You are being talked down to because you believe the opposite of objective truth and have the sociopolitical understanding of a 12 year old child. Deal with it potsie.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Christian Science. And all those whackadoodle groups that rejected vaccines and helped spur a measles breakout.

A quite literally dying group (300,000 people in this country in 1936, well under 100,000 now), and a bunch of groups that have tangential at best relation to religion. Nice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't know 'harm' had to be quantifiable in large numbers to count.

It's kind of important to note that the Christian Science church has been slowly collapsing for a long time and at this point is down to mostly older folks when you're struggling to claim it as a point. And you literally just pulled a claim out of your rear end that the anti-vax fad is due to religion, buddyboy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

You are putting words in my mouth to justify your point. Well done Fishmech. Please help me understand how every state but two has exemptions for religious reasons against vaccines.
You put the words there yourself moron:

Series DD Funding posted:

Being religious doesn't directly endanger other people.

CommieGIR posted:

And all those whackadoodle groups that rejected vaccines and helped spur a measles breakout.

Most of the people using religious exemptions are not doing it because it's actually their religion, it's simply the easiest way to do it where they live. The exemptions existed because many many years ago when most of the laws were written vaccination was opposed by much more of the population.

CommieGIR posted:

Again, not what I intended to imply.

Then learn to write better before trying to argue. Because it is quite exactly what you did imply.

CommieGIR posted:

placebos have PROVEN effects

This is a misunderstanding caused by popular media coverage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

One could argue that you read more into it than what was there, the only thing I implied was religious groups CAN do harm, there is nothing in that sentence that in any way implies that they are solely responsible for the anti-vaccine movement.

Learn to read and interpret better, fishmech.

One could argue that, and they'd be wrong. It's you, you're the only one arguing that to excuse your sloppy writing.

You still won't even admit you were wrong about Christianity having more control of America than ever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Hmmmmmm, its almost as if a vocal minority just took sweeping control of the Senate and Congress. Surely not.

They didn't, child. Also, again, they had undisputed control up til the 60s-80s depending on how you count things. Way to confirm you're wrong for the 50th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I wasn't aware of this. What causes pedophilia then? Genuinely curious.

Is it considered more of a fetish? Can fetishes be innate?

We don't really know, but it doesn't seem to be anything that happens later in life, with the exception of certain traumatic brain injuries.

Also keep in mind that tons of people who molest children are not pedophiles, they're people who choose them as easy targets.

• Locked thread