Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ikanreed posted:

The actual distance between what was a moral concern in biblical times and modern times is so great that only the most basic of moral messages, like the golden rule and murder, still have any meaning at all. The core thesis I'm making is that the solid majority of moral imperatives set down in the bible are either meaningless in the modern era, or now viewed as actively immoral.

Jesus' words don't really matter to the modern world, and have to be stretched extraordinarily to fit much of anything.
I think you'd have to break down what moral imperatives you're talking about.

I think you can draw a lot of lessons about humanity (in the general sense) from the Bible, but the same would probably true of any other similar set of collected writings. When I say humanity here, in order to be really loving explicit, I mean what you might call 'aspects of human nature and behavior, as observed practically.' The same stuff that comes up in Shakespeare.

EXPLICIT DISCLAIMER: I make absolutely no claims for the Bible other than literary and historical value. (Also in anticipation: It has been a seminal influence on European thought for over a millenium. This makes it a historically important set of documents.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ikanreed posted:

I mean if you take literally every statement in the bible that is of one of the following forms:
1. Literally imperative(such as thou shall not worship craven idols)
2. [Class of Action] is an abomination/holy/blessed/etc (such as gay sex, shrimp, women having authority over men)
3. God directly punishes someone for [action] (such as spilling your seed, mocking a bald dude)

The majority of those would be either amoral or immoral guidance.
Yeah but there's a bunch of parables and stories and poems and poo poo in there too. It INCLUDES but IS NOT JUST a legal code.

• Locked thread