Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i'm not even joking, think of how much it would suck if there were no gamefaqs updated by insanely obsessive people who dissect games in excrutiating detail... i was playing rune factory 4 and let me tell you there is a LOT of poo poo to know about that game and gamefaqs helped me with giving the proper gifts to my townspeople as well as showing me how the gently caress leveling your soil works

thank god for these gamers... w/o them we'd be up poo poo creek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Actually most of the people on gamefaqs are pedophiles and you're insulting our autistic brothers by lumping them in.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Silver Striker posted:

Actually most of the people on gamefaqs are pedophiles and you're insulting our autistic brothers by lumping them in.

anywhere there is a public forum there are pedophiles, im talking the people that update the faqs section, they fuckin rock

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is comforting to know that whatever random obscure game related question i can ask, someone on gamefaqs has already made a thread for it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
gamefaqs is really great

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

elf help book posted:

gamefaqs is really great

It is. It's also terrifying.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Awesome! posted:

it is comforting to know that whatever random obscure game related question i can ask, someone on gamefaqs has already made a thread for it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
rest in peace, kao megura

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It's really cool that I can go to the Hyrule Warriors board if I have a question and on the first page will be a thread where someone wants to gently caress imp Midna and everyone is defending him.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

It's really cool that I can go to the Hyrule Warriors board if I have a question and on the first page will be a thread where someone wants to gently caress imp Midna and everyone is defending him.

it cums with the territory

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part about old as gently caress games popping up on Steam is that if you ever get extremely stuck, there's definitely always an extremely in-depth 8000 page walkthrough for it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

One of the weird things about Gamefaqs is that once a guide gets accepted there's like little to no quality control, at least from what I remember. Even if your guide has wrong or made up information and dozens of people report it nothing will happen. Most of the guides are good but there are some that are just garbage.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I too appreciate the people invisibly working to keep my game information references up to date.

Sometimes I get the privilege of serving the community this way, but honestly it's because I just want to have the reference handy for myself or to make my teammates be less bad.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

a good indicator of an incredibly thorough faq is how many hours they put into recreating the game's title in ASCII

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

The best part about old as gently caress games popping up on Steam is that if you ever get extremely stuck, there's definitely always an extremely in-depth 8000 page walkthrough for it.

The best part is that there's always several of those. I really want to know what kind of person decides to write the sixth exhaustive walkthrough for some late 90s rpg that somehow still has a robust following of ten people discussing it endlessly.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

The best part is that there's always several of those. I really want to know what kind of person decides to write the sixth exhaustive walkthrough for some late 90s rpg that somehow still has a robust following of ten people discussing it endlessly.

a hero.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

f

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tender Bender posted:

i always click the biggest one, and if that one is bad, the next biggest one

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You gotta feel for DomZ Ninja, I bet he slaved away for weeks on that guide thinking he would dethrone Andrew Testa's opus, which was and still is considered to be the definitive guide to Quest 64.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

elf help book posted:

i always click the biggest one, and if that one is bad, the next biggest one

Biggest usually means the most, and best, ASCII art so I'm behind this plan

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
kao megura read other people's faqs and gave them criticism and new info, it was crazy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

once, i wondered how Rage and the veldt work in final fantasy 6, and gamefaqs had the answer to any question i could possibly have come up with:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/562865-final-fantasy-vi/faqs/35118

i also enjoy the unnofficial elder scroll pages for telling me exactly what time all the people in the game world wake up, eat their dinner etc. thank you, people who are even more obsessive than i am. :patriot:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the new html walkthroughs scare me

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
also lol that Rage guide has an extensive list of useful rages for every boss fight in the game, which is possibly the easiest final fantasy game of all time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

also lol that Rage guide has an extensive list of useful rages for every boss fight in the game, which is possibly the easiest final fantasy game of all time.

but if you ever decided "hmmm. i'm tired of just mashing the blitz combos in.... what if i try using the most useless and uncontrollable power instead?" well, this fellow has an answer for you!!

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

the new html walkthroughs scare me

If done well they're good and a lot better than text only guides, but a lot of them suck.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Strategy Wiki has a really good visual guide for Chrono Trigger but on the whole, I enjoy reading through a huge wall of text filled with spelling errors. i really like that for some games, like Lufia, the FAQs written by some guy from like, Brazil, whose directions are unfathomable and who includes stories about playing it with his friend growing up.

also the names are all like ABSOLUTE STEVE.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I like the part where at they end they thank everyone they've ever met and them threaten you if you post their guide somewhere without permission.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
creative CTRL-F section titles are good

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexters Secret posted:

i'm not even joking, think of how much it would suck if there were no gamefaqs updated by insanely obsessive people who dissect games in excrutiating detail... i was playing rune factory 4 and let me tell you there is a LOT of poo poo to know about that game and gamefaqs helped me with giving the proper gifts to my townspeople as well as showing me how the gently caress leveling your soil works

thank god for these gamers... w/o them we'd be up poo poo creek

Once when I was looking up a guide for prime 1 (maybe 2) there was a series of rooms with nothing in them so the guide author wrote about how cool mst3k is. So yeah totally agree op

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
youtube has sort of become the modern gamefaqs, which is good and bad. unfortunately video doesn't have the equivalent of ctrl-f to find the specific thing you need.

steam has guides and stuff but they usually aren't very good. steam formatting doesn't work with longform stuff very well :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm assuming the Tube ain't far off from having authoring kind of stuff for making chapters or whatever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

You gotta feel for DomZ Ninja, I bet he slaved away for weeks on that guide thinking he would dethrone Andrew Testa's opus, which was and still is considered to be the definitive guide to Quest 64.

Okay.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Doctor Goat posted:

kao megura read other people's faqs and gave them criticism and new info, it was crazy

The dipswitch effects list for Super Street Fighter II X for Matching Service is ridiculous.

Being able to play an arcade accurate port with double fireballs and the Raging Demon added for Akuma is rad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm very glad the op uses his homo powers to make faggy posts and threads all over the forums. gently caress you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
gamefaqs is nice but wikis are better for spergin' out. something like the lovely default pistol in serious sam 3 will get like three sentences in an faq, but a wiki page about it will have detailed information about how it works, it's stats, it's background, where you can find it throughout the game, ways to use it, and any obscure trivia about the gun.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Gamefaqs' stylesheet has been updated like twice since 2001

Which is good

It is exactly what it needs to be, I don't want to click through game reviews or ads to get to my loving walkthroughs

I'm embarassed enough already if I'm there in the first place just let me see what I'm here for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You guys have listed just about everything that's good about the FAQs. I agree.

• Locked thread