Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

Pretty hype for JLA. Loved Hitch's work on Heaven's Ladder he did with Waid.

Potentially the key words, here. How is he as a writer? I'm only familiar with him as an artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't know if he's ever written anything before, but if he can take the best parts of his previous work on JLA and The Ultimates we might have something special.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, I don't think I realised that art with the girl and the bubblegum is for Prez? That's neat, if Prez is a girl now? I guess it's a different concept, like maybe she inherits a bunch of shares and becomes president of a company or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, I don't think I realised that art with the girl and the bubblegum is for Prez? That's neat, if Prez is a girl now? I guess it's a different concept, like maybe she inherits a bunch of shares and becomes president of a company or something?

I do wish they just set it here:

I'll hope for the best, but I'm afraid it'll be another Green Team.

e: Looks Ming Doyle is co-writing Hellblazer with James Tynion 4.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 6, 2015

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness, Dinah's been shown to be in a band in Batgirl (I dunno about BoP) already, so it's probably just one of those convergent inspiration things. And Gwen's band look more Josie & The Pussycats compared to Dinah's "probably gets half-empty beer bottles thrown at her while drunk bros yell at her to take her top off" gigs.

Annie Wu's also responsible for this JLA punk rock art:
:allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Die Laughing posted:

Pretty hype for JLA. Loved Hitch's work on Heaven's Ladder he did with Waid.
I also am "hype" for the year 2028 when we will be able to read the first arc of it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

She's a great artist (Pretty Deadly, The Kitchen). I don't know if she's written a major series before.

Uh, Ming Doyle didn't work on Pretty Deadly. That was Emma Rios. She's doing The Kitchen currently, and previously did Mara with Brian Wood, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Black Canary should be good with Fletcher writing it and Wu on art, I can't believe that DC are still giving Lobdell work though. That Red Hood/Arsenal book may have been good otherwise.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 6, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just for the record, since she won't be around Jason or Roy anymore and I mentioned before, I don't like Harley Quinn. I don't have the slightest interest on her book, specially since it seems will be similar in tone to how she was on the TT cartoon.

Yeah, but if you wanted to bring in new comics readers, especially female comics readers, that's pretty much exactly what you want to do.

This is how not to do that. (Warning: Shortpacked)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but if you wanted to bring in new comics readers, especially female comics readers, that's pretty much exactly what you want to do.

And good for them, hope the book sells. Palmiotti and Conner are great writers but the wacky angle they took with Harley Quinn didn't worked for me add that I didn't stand the cartoon version of Starfire and my interest on the series is zero.

I'm still gonna check the first issue to see if they adress her relationship with Roy and friendship with Jason though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And good for them, hope the book sells. Palmiotti and Conner are great writers but the wacky angle they took with Harley Quinn didn't worked for me add that I didn't stand the cartoon version of Starfire and my interest on the series is zero.

he said, without a trace of self-reflection.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair to him, not liking Amanda and Jimmy's style on Harley isn't a crime. It's very Deadpool-ish.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair to him, not liking Amanda and Jimmy's style on Harley isn't a crime. It's very Deadpool-ish.

It's a total Deadpool rip off. I'm biased though because I cannot stand Harley as a character anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

McSpanky posted:

he said, without a trace of self-reflection.

Come on, his avatar is from a video game series built around how much everyone loves tits with the least realistic tits imaginable, as if they were designed by shut ins who've never seen a women in person. Self-Reflection is not exactly something you should expect,

More on topic though, do we know who and what from pre-52 is being folded into the new stuff? I really want The Question to be an actual thing, be it Vic or Renee. Maybe Wally will show up and we can have a good Flash related book again?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why the Red Hood/Arsenal book does not have some glorious, shameful stupid sub-title, like "No homo" or "Bros before hoes", holding out until the ads, eh? Stop going in a decent direction, DC!

It does not look that much promising, but I hope that DC is going to ease up on editorial control, maybe offer better contracts and the good authors would come back.

Interestingly, there are no ALL-STAR, LEGENDARY CREATOR type announces, it is going to hurt, surpsingly small amount of Geoff Johns also. A lot of old farts and Lobdell :barf:

Gene Luen Yang on Superman is out of nowhere, got to be interesting. The obvious direction would be some immigrant experience stories, but I am not sure if Yang would want to be "typecasted".

More Travel Foreman is good, he shared some work on the aborted arc of Justice League United on tumblr - http://zuerst.tumblr.com/post/110087457580/some-design-sketches-from-an-aborted-justice Not aborted anymore?

HELLBLAZER (yes!), Black Canary and Prez are going to be worth a look

Section Motherfucking Eight!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

It's a total Deadpool rip off. I'm biased though because I cannot stand Harley as a character anyway.

I dunno, I enjoy greatly Duggan's run on Deadpool. Is more that Harley is way into the nose for my liking.

In any case, the worst part of the news is the fact that Roy and Kori are going seperate ways. Their romance was amazing and it was always cute to see them togther. Most likely Roy will willingly step aside for Kori's sake but is gonna break my heart if issue 40 ends with him seeing her go.

:smith:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The New 52 is dead. Long live the New 52.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

More on topic though, do we know who and what from pre-53 is being folded into the new stuff? I really want The Question to be an actual thing, be it Vic or Renee. Maybe Wally will show up and we can have a good Flash related book again?
We don't know yet, if anything at all. Though these are just the books they're releasing in June, so there will probably be more stuff later on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wonder where Earth 2: Society is even gonna take place, especially with those guys actually taking part in Convergence. Are they back on their wasted shithole planet? Do they get a fresh one out of the event?
The 'Society' could refer to every E2er living on main Earth after moving there (as well as the JSA allusion for the heroes, obviously, ) but that would be Futures End over again.

e: Looking at the Convergence main series solicits closely for the first time, it sounds like they're really the main characters.

ee:

FoneBone posted:

I was excited about Bat-Mite until I saw that Dan Jurgens is writing it (per DC's site, not the list in the OP.) WHY?!
Oops. Fixed.

eee:

fatherboxx posted:

More Travel Foreman is good, he shared some work on the aborted arc of Justice League United on tumblr - http://zuerst.tumblr.com/post/110087457580/some-design-sketches-from-an-aborted-justice Not aborted anymore?

Holy poo poo. I hope so. That Animal Man space suit is amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 6, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I dunno, I enjoy greatly Duggan's run on Deadpool. Is more that Harley is way into the nose for my liking.

Don't get me wrong, the latest Deadpool run is really good, but Harley is more Danial Way Deadpool, which is exactly that, way too on the nose. Over the top "lol I'm so random" stuff. I meant more that the whole idea is a rip off of Deadpool, as having a wacky fourth wall breaking character.

fatherboxx posted:

Why the Red Hood/Arsenal book does not have some glorious, shameful stupid sub-title, like "No homo" or "Bros before hoes", holding out until the ads, eh?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I was excited about Bat-Mite until I saw that Dan Jurgens is writing it (per DC's site, not the list in the OP.) WHY?!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
What stuff did Jurgens write that people don't like? I'm possibly eyeing that Batman Beyond solo (which I am certain the Batman Beyond 2.0 comic was cancelled over) but the comments I'm hearing about him leave me worried.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Brocktoon posted:

Starfire gets her own series but still can't get a pair of pants.

Seems a fine costume to me considering Starfire's general attitude. Giving women sensible and better costumes doesn't necessarily mean to cover up every piece of skin. It's possible to make a sexy/revealing costume without veering into sexist cheesecake if it fits the character. The costume looks not extremely different from what you see women wearing as every-day leisure wear in summer. Not some butt floss tissue paper like before.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The costume isn't bad but like I said in the old thread I'm fairly skeeved by the pre teen in the back looking down her own shirt.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Travis343 posted:

The costume isn't bad but like I said in the old thread I'm fairly skeeved by the pre teen in the back looking down her own shirt.

Conner drew the cover. It's a visual gag. Getting upset by it is just looking to be mad.

I like Stargirl's new costume. The white lines break up the blue really well.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

lotus circle posted:

What stuff did Jurgens write that people don't like?

Most of his stuff that I've read strikes me as dull at best; none of it suggests to me that he's a good fit for a humor-driven book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Travis343 posted:

Why do you think that's a pre-teen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FoneBone posted:

Most of his stuff that I've read strikes me as dull at best; none of it suggests to me that he's a good fit for a humor-driven book.

Read Booster Gold

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Conner drew the cover. It's a visual gag. Getting upset by it is just looking to be mad.

I like Stargirl's new costume. The white lines break up the blue really well.

Conner isn't perfect. She was involved with that absolutely gross Before Watchman thing.

That said, I don't think that's a preteen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Conner isn't perfect. She was involved with that absolutely gross Before Watchman thing.

I thought people liked her's and Cooke's. I was looking forward to whenever that volume had a Comixology sale.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Starfire and Roy's relationship was so cute, Lobdell is just a brilliant writer.

Anyway, Batwoman and Supergirl might as well have been mercy killings. Supergirl had so much baggage with awful mandated crossovers (Like 4 love interests, a red lantern ring, all kinds of awful poo poo) and Batwoman isn't going to be the same without the original team, especially with DC telling them she's not allowed to be gay-married.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I could see Supergirl coming back in the future considering the TV show, but the sales for the new creative team haven't been any better than they were before so no surprise. As for Batwoman, the sales were so pitifully bad that it's not shocking to see them not bringing her back. Maybe at another time we'll see them both again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Damian globetrotting with a Man-Bat is extremely my poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought people liked her's and Cooke's. I was looking forward to whenever that volume had a Comixology sale.

Hers and Cookes has some really really weird gross things with the gay characters being pretty lovely stereotypes and the Silk Spectre is the one where they decided to reuse a rape scene as a 'cool' combat scene. It was overall genuinely really weird.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Read Booster Gold
The original run, or the post-52 stuff? I never cared for the latter - sure, he created the character, but Giffen and Johns did far better work with him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Travis343 posted:

I think you're a little too focused on this, friend. It's nice art with a reference to the fact that Starfire has always been unrealistically proportioned and too pretty for reality. I don't think it's meant to be a pre-teen, though I could see it being a teenager which could still be skeezy. At the same time, it doesn't show any skin at all and is just a reference to someone going 'wow, i wish I had boobs like that'. Whether it's funny or not is hit or miss (when I noticed it I found it kinda funny), but I'm like 99% certain it's not meant to be a preteen or anything meant to be sexy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

Starfire and Roy's relationship was so cute, Lobdell is just a brilliant writer.

Indeed

C'mon dude, you surely can give a better argument than a page from four years ago.

Anyways, Denis Medri is the guy who designed Steampunk Lady Spider

And did this awesome Rockabilly Batman redesign

So stoked to see work his magic with Jason and Roy

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I've been reading DC since like '03, and if there's been a more interesting roll out of announcements I must have missed it. It's a lot of books that are up in the air in terms of quality, but you know what that's pretty drat exciting and most of these books are backed up by real talent or at the very least an interesting artist in the case of books like Bat-Mite and Dr. Fate.

Not only that, but it's the only announcement suite I can think of in the longest time that isn't punctuated by a bunch of dead on arrival duds. I mean you have those Lobdell books that will probably blow, but really even then you still have Dan Jurgens on the absolute last thing you'd ever expect him on. That's got to count for something.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 6, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That We Are Robin cover looks freaking sick. I'm probably gonna dip my toes with it and Starfire and see what else is worth getting into. Probably Bat-mite. This is a pretty good thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed

C'mon dude, you surely can give a better argument than a page from four years ago.

On the other hand, this page also sucks balls.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

On the other hand, this page also sucks balls.

Why exactly?

It certainly isn't one of Rocafort's best but it perfectly conveys through the dialogue and the corporal language the characters' personalities.

Jason being the resenter, Roy the optimist and Kori the troubled one. Roy's dialogue it also perfectly shows how much he cares for Kori and how much he loves her (even if at that point is a little one sided on his part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Are you oblivious to the sarcasm or just combating with an earnest attitude.

• Locked thread