Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence Suicide Squad turned out pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stop da presses!!!

Kyle Baker's Plastic Man is on Comixology now and on sale!!

!!

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-8-Sale/page/6738?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That is a good series. And it does not play nice when it comes to mocking DC later on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well there's $19.80 well-spent.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why is that Red Lanterns never did anything like this with Atrocitus?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, the Lantern symbol on his tie is pretty great, not gonna lie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I love the picture of himself, his wife and his daughter in the background.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why is that Red Lanterns never did anything like this with Atrocitus?

How do you do a luchador themed DC art piece and NOT use Bane?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You need to get across that this is a world where everyone is a wrestle-man, not just the one guy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This week's Sneak Peeks, y'all https://www.comixology.com/FREE-DC-Sneak-Peeks/list/6845
Batgirl, Black Canary, Constantine: The Hellblazer, Cyborg, Earth 2: Society, Harley Quinn, Justice League United, Sinestro, Superman/Wonder Woman, The Flash, We Are Robin and Batman, Justice League and Superman which were in the FCBD comic.

e: We Are Robin looks great :)
ee: Whoa at JL United. It seems completely influenced by Jonathan Hickman's Avengers, but that's all good!
eee: For the hilarious fart that was Convergence (main series,) The E2:Society book spinning out is gorgeous. The new E2 Batman's cowl has an upper lip protector.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...Convergence #8 came out.

I have no idea what happened.

Did they somehow undo Crisis on Infinite Earths? Are there still 52 Earths or are we still going full hypertime? Also what was the point of the old Earths coming back if it turns out that they got overwritten into new ones anyway?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Was Constantine always this cavalier regarding the whole getting ladies skinned alive by demons from another world thing? Because if so, I think the new Constantine book will be alright.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...Convergence #8 came out.

I have no idea what happened.
The band aid indeed...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a summary that's clearer that the actual comic.
http://www.newsarama.com/24643-major-spoilers-dc-s-convergence-concludes-undoes-crisis.html

e: God damned am I excited by Parker/Foreman JLU.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 27, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Convergence had a good ending but it was obviously padded to fit on two months. The story could've been told on half of the issues with ease. Other than having Deimos (who could've been replaced with another baddie) the whole plot about Skartaris was pointless.

And rather than making every universe available to writers I'd say it only made canon (as in actually referencing them) the 52 universes introduced by Morrison on Multiversity.

The Convergence tie ins on the other hand were all over the place, for the event the only one that mattered was Booster Gold (neat twist about Waverider by the way) while all the remaining ones were of varying quality and interest.

Now about this week Sneak Peeks

Cyborg presents an interesting if somewhat convulted premise, definitely gonna pick up to see what's up with that.

If JLU can deliver at least half of what is promising on the sneak is gonna be one of the best series ever.

Earth 2 was terrible, is such a massive shift on tone to Convergence's ending (that is supposed to be a follow up to) and it seems to be grim and gritty just because. New Batman was cool though.

Superman Wonder Woman, lost me. The idea is interesting on paper but the execution is weird and seems unnecesarily dramatic. Then again, Tomasi work on the series hasn't been of my liking

Sinestro was solid but I'm not really keen on another "the GLC is utterly hosed up " story. We'll see, I guess.

As expected, Constantine was awful Tynion just doesn't know how to put subtlety on its writing. A shame really, N52 Constantine (and its most recen apearances) was one of my favorites.

I just can't buy We are Robin's premise. Is just absurd in the context of the wider DCU. Again and again writers have made a point of vigilantism not being something to take lightly (and we've seen Bruce fail plenty of times to drive the point home) and suddenly a bunch of kids are such badasses that can be effective vigilantes? Bullshit.

If it was a story set apart of the DCU it would be really good but as it stands now, meh.

Didn't care for Harley Quinn, Black Canary or Batgirl

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You hated literally every book I liked. Even Earth 2 was pretty cool I thought. I didn't read Sinestro because I don't give a gently caress about green Lantern.

The whole point of Divergence is to make good books, continuity be damned, so you criticism of We are Robin is pretty off the mark.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The 52 Constantine was awful and I hope he gets back to awesome character he was. The last time he was good was his appearance in Swamp Thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

The whole point of Divergence is to make good books, continuity be damned, so you criticism of We are Robin is pretty off the mark.

If the story would be self contained you'd had a point, but they've made clear is fully involved with the rest of the Batman books (they've hyped the meeting of the robins with Gordon for example) making the premise incongruent with the setting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Black Canary was fun and I am now looking forward to the title if there are more rock and roll shenanigans. Always got love for rock and roll shenanigans.

We are Robin seemed solid enough. Kind of an update on the whole Sons of Batman thing, and I am curious to see how it works with the other Bat-titles there.

JLU seems kind of bonkers. Might be in for a fun ride, but I agree with some posters about Foreman's art. I like his more body horror stuff but his stuff in JLU just seemed off, and not a good fit for the book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If the story would be self contained you'd had a point, but they've made clear is fully involved with the rest of the Batman books (they've hyped the meeting of the robins with Gordon for example) making the premise incongruent with the setting.

Yeah but I got the idea that this is a result of Batman's "death" and people are trying to be Robin, and Bruce is not here to stop them.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Black Canary is the closest thing we will ever get to a Corin Tucker comic, and I want all of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but I got the idea that this is a result of Batman's "death" and people are trying to be Robin, and Bruce is not here to stop them.

That it makes it worse actually, because it also means Bruce is not there to protect them.

See, my problem with this kind of concepts is that these character can be either normal kids ot}r someone that by bullshit comic book magic are able to fight muggers withot getting killed but not both.

Specially on the N52 Gotham.

We spent some issues with Harper trying and failing to be a vigilante, Eternal devoted a lot time to (poorly) chronicle Steph's grew into the Spoiler so the idea of a bunch of kids being able of to make a difference by themselves in a world where super villians exist is absurd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That it makes it worse actually, because it also means Bruce is not there to protect them.

See, my problem with this kind of concepts is that these character can be either normal kids ot}r someone that by bullshit comic book magic are able to fight muggers withot getting killed but not both.

Specially on the N52 Gotham.

We spent some issues with Harper trying and failing to be a vigilante, Eternal devoted a lot time to (poorly) chronicle Steph's grew into the Spoiler so the idea of a bunch of kids being able of to make a difference by themselves in a world where super villians exist is absurd.

We know that its going to be them growing into it. The Gordon issue will be them getting yelled out. The way that Robin even started out was him doing basically what these kids are doing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

We know that its going to be them growing into it. The Gordon issue will be them getting yelled out. The way that Robin even started out was him doing basically what these kids are doing.

All the Robins have had their origins tweaked to be more plausible within the current context.

Dick is now someone unknowingly bred to be an assasin by a secret order, Jason never stole the Batmobile tires and was on his way to be killed before being picked up by Bruce, Tim loving things up by messing with Gotham's underworld is a HUGE part of his origin now and Damian is a genetically engineered to be Batman's succesor.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I dont see how the idea of Robin is any weirder than Bruce being like 27 and a master of every martial art and genius in every field is. This poo poo is by nature implausible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

I dont see how the idea of Robin is any weirder than Bruce being like 27 and a master of every martial art and genius in every field is. This poo poo is by nature implausible.

And still Bruce was nearly killed the first time he tried to be Batman. Hell, during Zero Year he had more failures than success.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And still Bruce was nearly killed the first time he tried to be Batman. Hell, during Zero Year he had more failures than success.

Do not forget the time he pissed himself!
I also love how this is all coming from a quick preview for the book, and I assume that this very question is a big part of the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget the time he pissed himself!
I also love how this is all coming from a quick preview for the book, and I assume that this very question is a big part of the book.

Eh, I'm just using Snyder's work on the title as frame of reference for my complaints.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eh, I'm just using Snyder's work on the title as frame of reference for my complaints.

So complaining about other books rather than this one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

So complaining about other books rather than this one.

No?

I'm pointing out how We are Robin doesn't fit within the groundwork laid by Snyder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Do you seriously think We are Robin isn't going to address this? Like I'll be amazed if they go a year without killing off at least one Robin. This was an eight page preview designed to get people interested in the book, they're not going to lead with the kids loving up and being awful at crime fighting.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman doing this is also absurd in a world where people like Superman and The Flash exist. I don't see why it's impossible to have a sort of sliding scale of disbelief in place for We Are Robin given one effectively already exists with reference to everything else in DC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No?

I'm pointing out how We are Robin doesn't fit within the groundwork laid by Snyder.

I am just pointing out this is a preview and giving you a taste of what the book is going to be about. This could be the first pages and then going to _ months ago and showing them train. It has also shown them only fighting muggers as a group.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really enjoyed Shazam!, and would have more interest in a monthly book of forties-style adventures from him than I do in literally any of DC's books going forward. The fact it has a preview for the new Hellblazer in the back is just bizarre, though. I don't understand why DC's marketers aren't even capable of putting previews of books aimed at certain demographics at the back of Convergence tie-ins those demographics might be likely to be reading, and have arranged them seemingly literally at random instead.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Constantine is a bit too much of a "HERE IS OUR NEW DIRECTION THAT IS OLD BUT IN TRENDY CLOTHES OKAY", but I am interested in the ongoing, hope for more bastard Constantine.

Black Canary is amazing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Do you seriously think We are Robin isn't going to address this? Like I'll be amazed if they go a year without killing off at least one Robin. This was an eight page preview designed to get people interested in the book, they're not going to lead with the kids loving up and being awful at crime fighting.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am just pointing out this is a preview and giving you a taste of what the book is going to be about. This could be the first pages and then going to _ months ago and showing them train. It has also shown them only fighting muggers as a group.

Fair enough, if/when the story adresses my complaints I'd be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

vegetables posted:

Batman doing this is also absurd in a world where people like Superman and The Flash exist. I don't see why it's impossible to have a sort of sliding scale of disbelief in place for We Are Robin given one effectively already exists with reference to everything else in DC.

Still, the Batman corner of the DC has been pretty isolated from the rest of the universe so it was easier to believe Batman's feats.

And speaking of Flash.

The Sneak Peak surprisingly wasn't horrible (despite some of the worst work I've seen from Booth. Although I'm keeping my expectation very low.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So Bryan Hitch's Justice League of America is set on a different earth like Prez and Society? Or is it set during the Time Skip after 'Origins'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaltab posted:

So Bryan Hitch's Justice League of America is set on a different earth like Prez and Society? Or is it set during the Time Skip after 'Origins'?

I don't think it's that thought out. From interviews, it sounds like he's just using his own idea of a classic JL team which won't be influenced or have an influence on any other book.
Too bad it didn't get a Sneak Peek.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 27, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pfft, wasted opportunity to not show a glimpse of the CW DCTV Universe in that last Convergence issue.

I don't dislike this newest, vaguest, most subjective status quo of the multiverse, but its imprecise and ambiguous nature is probably gonna make it far more prone to being screwed up than anything we've had up to now. I will be utterly shocked if DC doesn't manage to do so within a handful of years, leading them to order yet another reboot.

In any case, Convergence: Shazam ended up being my favorite Convergence thing. Probably even more than The Question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all for this September's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" gimmick month :)

• Locked thread