Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

The one that looks like Batman Beyond might just be Flashpoint Batman? Superman never died in Beyond.
That's a good-size pile in front of him, too.

I'm stumped.

: /

Someone tweet EVS.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beefstew posted:

With that tangent out of the way, I hope that Conner brings back Atlee/Terra for the new Power Girl run. Their relationship was one of the highlights of the old series.
Cheers to that. A Palmiotti/Gray/Conner OGPG/Terra/Harley book is exactly what I want.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

*ignores the multiple Ennis/Parlov Fury and Punisher MAX books that Marvel continue to publish*
:hi5: Anyone who think Ennis is past his prime has not read Fury: My War Gone By. It is absolutely incredible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And while the art wasn't that good, this is one cool spread.
That sure is a whole lot of sweet, sweet copying and pasting of elements all right.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Ennis also wrote a pro-Superman story in one of the 80-page Giants with Sixpack:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

When was the last MAX book featuring Fury or Punisher published?
June 26, 2013. I looked it up. :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: How were the Tangent comics? They're slowly adding them on Comixology.
I think they're pretty cool. At a bare minimum, check out the two Green Lantern issues. The Gary Frank Flash issue is pretty great, too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Gunfire was the best worst character in the "concepts my eight-year-old nephew came up with" running. He can turn anything he holds into a gun! Or a bomb if it doesn't have a pointy end, which is still :krad:! He was the Go-Bots version of Gambit.
His legacy lives on!

Hitman #1,000,000

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Man, that Gym/Jim joke absolutely does not work on the printed page, as written there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Did anything remotely good come out of Identity Crisis? A single thing?

Even the potentially good things like Ralph & Sue: Deadman Detectives didn't last.
Did IC create the idea of Calculator becoming basically the evil flipside of Oracle? That was all eventually wasted as an idea, but I think it was a good one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It looks like something from FLCL.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Oh good. We're retreading the Killing Joke storyline. Again.
It's just a variant cover--means nothing.

VVVV
Yeah, it's not too great.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 13, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's currently mad that all the backups are shoved to the back of the book, but should I get the Simonson Orion omnibus they're putting out? I like all the Kirby Fourth World.
YESSSSSS

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just picked up the Comixology JLA collection #6 to start reading the Joe Kelly/Doug Mahnke run again and realized I'd previously skipped right over Mark Waid's lot between Morrison and Kelly (the comics covered in collection #5 https://www.comixology.com/JLA-1997-2006-Vol-5/digital-comic/101908?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy)

How was that run? I've just Googled for opinions and found a blog post that's pretty down on the whole thing.
I like it quite a bit, but place it beneath Kelly and Morrison. I wouldn't skip it at all, regardless.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is the important bit about the whole situation I believe. The best way people has to drive their point across is to simply refuse to pick that variant.
Or voice their opinions loud enough ahead of time so they don't even release it (which won't happen--it'll be the one that sells the most, I'm sure.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is from like a million pages ago but does anyone know what issue is story takes place in because it sounds rad

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_149

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I just wonder if you replaced Batgirl with Batman, would anyone have even given a poo poo about the variant cover?
It's almost as if context had something to do with it.

edit: for the cheap seats, the context is a new creative team trying to depict a can-do, optimistic, fun comic that new readers can latch onto that pushes Babs even further into her own world to become her own hero, past be damned.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

Look at how angry Goons got when in the recent Grayson books they've been giving shots of the butt, because they know girls (and some guys) enjoy it.
I was upset with the quality of the dialogue. :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

I see what they're trying to go for, and I appreciate them trying, but I think that's really, really poo poo.
Consistent branding within a family (like Justice League, or X-Men) is a good thing (when applicable--offshoot titles that do their own crazy things can go nuts) and I look forward to seeing how the other titles slot in. However, that "A" is just too dang small. Up it 25% more, and then we've got something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

So now they're a super frat?
Bat-chugging

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

God why couldn't they just let him do his final issues out of continuity.
The saddest high-five.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How long is Sensation Comics/WW supposed to go on for?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Bahaha Cry for Justice. Didn't the writer end up defending that book after a being attacked by internet trolls?
Shouldn't have needed to, it's award winning!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dreqqus posted:

Didn't O'Neal intend Azrael to be a parody /condemnation of the 90s anti-hero Image-ification trend in comics at the time? That's always how I read it, but I didn't read it til the early 2000s.
Pretty much. "You want a stabby Batman not afraid to go all the way? Enjoy!" He was never meant to be a perm replacement (this is clear based on every other character pointing out what a loon he was to the reader and to JP himself), and he probably overstayed his welcome, but that costume is a Modern Classic (sez I).

The best part of KnightsEnd is the final tie-in issue, a solo JP story from one of the Showcases, where he flails around Gotham, mentally and physically wasted, ultimately just gives up, becomes homeless and destitute, and that's the end. :byewhore:

WickedHate posted:

All I know is that I can't look at that and not think "Jesus Christ, I want to read that!".
Trust me, as one of the biggest fans of mid/late 90s DC here, it's an incredibly piddling series that might only be interesting for the Kitson artwork.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 14, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Well, I think you just have bad taste. :colbert:
You know full well you are not one to talk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Actually it is based on East St. Louis, IL.

lol

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

These are a delight, what the gently caress is wrong with you?
Starfire is covered up, the greatest sin in DT's book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There are going to be so many Harley appearances in the lead-up to the SS movie.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

especially the colouring.
The flat coloring is a nice look, for sure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

They weren't everyone's favorites, but Rocafort's Red Hood and Arsenal redesigns were probably my favorite of the entire reboot.

But holy poo poo are those new costumes loving TERRIBLE.
Flesh-toned chest armor does look pretty damned weird. Also, goddamnit Ray, just take the domino mask off--I'm not sure what you're hiding at this point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

So something cool is happening: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

They all look like Disney Princesses, but I applaud DC for FINALLY expanding its reach to young girls.

The best part? /co/ is already freaking out about this. :mmmhmm:
I'm a 35 yr old grown-rear end man, and that is already more interesting to me than most of what DC's been putting out. Those Disney Eyes are a bit disconcerting, though.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really enjoyed the Justice League Detroit issue today. Is that era worth looking into at all?
Here's the thing--it's the Justice League, but at what has to be it's lowest point in all of Justice Leauging. They're set up in a basement on the shores of the Detroit River for god's sake, Zatanna wears a lobster on her head, and Aquaman is in charge. This is like the complete, polar, magnetic opposite of Morrison's Big Seven. It's an oddity, but I sort of love it. There's a good Retroactive issue that came out in the recent past you might want to check out. Otherwise, start with Justice League of America Annual #2 and then it's JLoA #233–261.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 23, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Selina's thing to the public is "criminal", but Harley's isn't?
Selina also hasn't killed a whole bunch of children.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

DC just tweeted that Frank Miller is doing a new Batman series called "The Dark Knight III: Master Race."
So Azz is co-writing. Isn't this the thing Miller was supposed to be working with Scott Snyder on?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are they not supposed to make new Batman comics in the next two years?
Who, that old relic from the '30s? Shee-yah.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

I thought Frank Miller was dying, or was that just a rumour?
Like, we're all dying, maaan. :okpos:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Do I have to post Raven?
Or Robin's All Feathers, All The Time Carnivale costume?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I like that the Red Hood's costume finally has a hood. That's always seemed like a weird oversight.

This is so true it's not even funny. Going to watch some She-Ra over dinner tonight as a result, and wish that there were (good) She-Ra comics coming out.
She-Ra was always the better show/character/everything compared to He-Man. Fuckin' loved Hordak as a kid.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is that new Power Girl still around that DC introduced earlier this year? Did she actually catch on at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

I think it's in the Preview pages for Convergence Booster Gold #1, but I'm spoiler tagging it just in case:

It looks like 52 Booster's actually a highly competent thief that was hired to steal an experimental military robot called SKTS. He was also going to steal a time machine and use it to deliver the robot to his client, but the guards fired some sort of energy weapon at it, messing up the machine's settings. He also does some dumb Jason Bourne poo poo by using contact lenses to fool a retina scan.

oh.

• Locked thread