Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm curious to know what brought about this "change of face" from DC in regards to loosening up continuity, and getting more experimental creators on the books. Are they using the bat books as a measuring bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they are going to take out Mallory Archer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KaosMachina posted:

I want Hip Young Teen 90's Superboy and his adventures with Supergrandpa so bad.

Make it a road trip comic and you got a deal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dacap posted:

What if they just went for a long walk across America

Well talking down to people seems to be something Grandpa Superman would do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I didn't read it myself but didn't the story retcon the reason Supes was acting like a condescending douchebag into him being alien mind controlled or some such bullshit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. Good news for Prez. Didio is saying that DC are committing to at least twelve issues for each of the new ongoings.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/19/best-stories-become-canon-dan-didio-jim-lee-comicspro/

Sounds like someone has replaced Didio with a human being.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only thing I remember about Bloodlines was the main aliens scaring the living poo poo out of me when I was a kid. That, and Anima was supposed to be the next big thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

His legacy lives on!

Hitman #1,000,000

What kind of idiot wears targets on his kneecaps? That's just asking for it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Colour me intrigued.

The more I read about the post-Convergence stuff, the more things I am seeing DC saying right. I really hope they don't screw it up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Did anything remotely good come out of Identity Crisis? A single thing?

Even the potentially good things like Ralph & Sue: Deadman Detectives didn't last.

It eventually lead to 52 so that was a happy accident. It also kind of led into Jason Rusch being the new Firestorm so that was cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Prez is the one comic I am looking forward to the most out of all of this.

edit: also...

Article posted:

THE OMEGA MEN #1

Written by TOM KING
Art by ALEC MORGAN
Cover by TREVOR HUTCHISON
1:25 Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The Omega Men are back in an all-new series! They’ve murdered White Lantern Kyle Rayner and now, the universe wants them to pay! Who are these intergalactic criminals – and is there more to their actions than meets the eye?

That doesn't sound very nice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mimir posted:

Green Arrow should just go for the full beard, it's hip now.

Especially seeing that he lives in the Pacific Northwest. I imagine him cracking open a bottle of some fine craft beer, sipping away before he gets on his arrow fixed gear bike and peddles away.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

Well look at what Marvel did to the Spider-Woman Manara cover. And compared to the Batgirl cover, that was tame and silly.

DC should shelve that cover and apologize for the very idea of it. It's especially a slap to the face considering how they're pushing the Batgirl comic. It's like some rear end in a top hat's way of saying "try to make a comic that will appeal to girls, huh? Well let's be sure to take this character we've pushed as appealing to a female demographic and bring up the time she was sexually assaulted and paralyzed. Oh, and make sure on the cover she's in her new costume and helpless and crying."

Considering that it's a variant cover that has to be specially requested I doubt people buying the comics will ever really see the cover outside of the internet. It isn't like DC is releasing full sized posters of this for stores to plaster all over the walls.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

I would have gotten a hardcover of the Allred's variants

As much as I said I doubt DC will paste full size posters of the Joker variant's around the stores, I do wish they would release posters for their Allred, Cooke and movie theme posters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

We've been sick of Bane since Batman & Robin.

Never forget!!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a kind of explosive meaningless kind of question here but what are people's thoughts about Killing Joke. As much as I can see people being upset about a variant cover here, and as much as it didn't suit the tone of the book, it still kind of made sense to reference the Killing Joke because when people think of Joker and Batgirl it is probably Killing Joke that sticks out most in their mind.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

To the people who keep saying things like "Those who dont want the cover don't even have to see it" and other nonsense I have a question for you.

What's it like being that loving retarded?

The variant covers are 50/50 splits. Retailers can order as many as they want of these types of variants. We generally order the same quantity of both and shelve them right beside each other. Now I saw the cover and already knew it was going to be special order only but not every store has someone with common sense doing the ordering. This cover was going to be everywhere and if they were still producing it I guarantee you it was going to get hyped as hell and become very in demand, probably overshadowing the Batgirl title.

Thank god they junked it so I don't have to deal with idiots chasing after it.

Thanks for the info. My experience with variant covers at my shop is that I usually request a cover be put aside on my pull box. The stuff that I see on open display is regular cover stuff. I assumed that because my shop does things like this, the only way someone who doesn't want that cover appearing in public would be able to get it would be buy specially requesting it be put aside for themselves.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I just wonder if you replaced Batgirl with Batman, would anyone have even given a poo poo about the variant cover?

Probably not because it changes context. Batman was never in a comic where Joker shot him through the spine and took naked pictures of him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This whole debate should have ended when the fact that the original artist asked for the artwork not to be used, and DC should be applauded for once respecting the artist wishes. You can argue all you want about whether the artist was bullied into making the request or not, but that is all moot because he made the request in the end and DC agreed with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
gently caress this thread is moving at the speed of stupid right now.

Rhyno: Facebook added an unfollow option. It's great for remaining friends with idiots but not having to listen to what they have to say.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Well it wasn't him so much as the crowd from Bleeding Cool that followed.

Are the the opposite side of the coin from ComicAlliance?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Now that's a false equivalency the likes of which I haven't seen in years.

Lurdiak posted:

Now that's a false equivalency the likes of which I haven't seen in years.

Oh forums. My bad. I was thinking that with CA running articles like "Hire this woman artist" and such, and then BC would be the opposite. User comments on both sites probably suck a lot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

What was the last real comic book scandal anyway? Like, for real. I'm not talking about these made up "she's drawn too sexy/rape-baity!" clickbait jobs, I'm talking like dude might go to jail for indecency laws or makes clearly threatening/racist remarks that are MEANT to inflame, not just "oh, this hurts my sensitive tendencies." What was the name of that one independent guy who was self-publishing in the 90s and ended up facing jail-time for making comics about Piss Baby Jesus or something like that. I remember reading about that back in the day and was shocked that not only that laws like that still existed, but that people still actively tried to enforce them.

poo poo like that was what the CBLDF was originally started to combat. Nowadays, people would complain that Frank Miller's CBLDF shirt looks too suggestively predatory, and then it would blindly trend on twitter and inadvertently get CBLDF shuttered.

Would Brian Woods being a creepy gently caress count?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

It's about time Chuck Norris joined the Justice League.

If he did I would hope that Batman one-punches him in the face.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh god the new Superman costume is starting to make sense

Looks like they really want to cast Chris Evans in the next Superman movie.

edit: Context. Here is Evans in Snowpiercer

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bahaha Cry for Justice. Didn't the writer end up defending that book after a being attacked by internet trolls?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

Yup, that's what I remember. I just hosed up the phrasing and made it sound stupid.

Whomever said Convergence was a Countdown:Arena knockff hit it square on the head. The way it was sold made it sound like they would get to close off plot threads in a last hurrah, then blip off to the Convergence event.

What I've read is instead 'we've been abducted from our homes and forced to live in a bubble city for a year, completely divorced from the settings and people that gave our stories context and meaning... Hey there's some random folks, let's punch them!'

Its very Kid Smashing Toys together. Mo wonder they called it the band-aid.

Sounds like someone read Green Lantern: Mosaic and decided the thing the book had too much of was subtlety.

Honestly if DC made Convergence a spiritual successor ongoing version of Mosaic that would be awesome, but they would rather have a Battle Royale stuff go on instead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Probably Magic posted:

I could've sworn I saw a trade for the start, and read the poo poo out of it.

The whole run was collected in a few volumes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chime_on posted:

Love Kelley Jones Swamp Thing. This is the Convergence mini that I care most about. And if you've never read the original Wein/Wrightson run, you really should. "Muck-encrusted mockery" gets dropped like every issue.

I could do with more Jones art and less Wein writing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I had so much hope for JLU when it was Justice League Canada. I thought it would actually, you know, take place in Canada. I will give Parker a shot to see what he turns in but unless it is really good I will probably drop it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

All those kids should be buying Gotham Academy :mad:

Minute the trade comes out I am buying both my nieces a copy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

DC just tweeted that Frank Miller is doing a new Batman series called "The Dark Knight III: Master Race."

Is this a troll job?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Keeping a proud tradition going since 1938.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Prez was kind of amusing though I was hoping to get a better handle on the character (ie who she is and what her personality is like). Still I am on board for this.
The only other preview I read was Midnighter which seems like quite a fun action title.
Any word if more previews will be released?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Good news, DT, I've found the REAL redesigns for the new Red Hood series.

Of course it is Nightwing who would have to do the rear end and boobs pose.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bat-Mite wasn't terrible and seemed to be more aimed at a younger crowd. The humour definitely seems simpler, and it would probably be something I would give my 9 year niece to read.

Edit: I wasn't expecting much with Bizarro but that preview got me hooked. I laughed out loud at the "me will become a bat" line, and the storyline seems like fun and interesting, plus Bizarro America (AKA Canada represent).

edit again: Dr. Fate is another book with an interesting hook but the preview didn't do much except give a brief glimpse of the characters. No real storyline presented yet. Still nice to see some fun art. So far Bat-Mite, Bizarro and Dr. Fate all seem to embrace a more cartoonish fun style of artwork and it kind of reminds me of early 90's DC titles that were more comedic and chaotic. They are definitely going with a more fun tone with these books. Wonder how fans will react seeing as these three books seem to be pretty unique and there probably won't be tons of crossovers done with them.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 13, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Benny the Snake posted:

Someone please explain what an undercut is to the uninitiated? :confused:

It's what only David Bowie alone can make look good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

You should always judge those who buy variant covers :colbert:

Don't judge me because I want kickass Allred and Cooke covers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least with DC covers all I did was ask my LCBS to pull the variants that I wanted. They never charged me extra. Sometimes I see the variants in the stacks as well. Is it still a speculators thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Black Canary was fun and I am now looking forward to the title if there are more rock and roll shenanigans. Always got love for rock and roll shenanigans.

We are Robin seemed solid enough. Kind of an update on the whole Sons of Batman thing, and I am curious to see how it works with the other Bat-titles there.

JLU seems kind of bonkers. Might be in for a fun ride, but I agree with some posters about Foreman's art. I like his more body horror stuff but his stuff in JLU just seemed off, and not a good fit for the book.

• Locked thread