Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman Beyond has me hyped for a kid I saw at NYCC last year at the DC Digital panel.

After Batman Beyond 2.0 was announced as canceled, a boy somewhere around 10-12 years old approached the mic during Q&A and asked when it would come back.
"Uhh... it's canceled, it's not coming back for now," the panel told him.
"But he was my favorite character," the boy said, not on the verge of tears, but clearly disappointed.
The panel gave prizes for questions, and gave him a Nexus 7 to make up for shooting down his favorite book... which kind of adds insult to injury, right? "Sorry your favorite digital title is ending, here's a tablet that won't bring it back!" Oh well, the kid was happy about it and the value of the prize turned the audience away from a downer moment.

There was another just-can't-let-go question regarding Smallville...
"So, you said Smallville would end after this season, but when will the next season come out?"
"There won't be a next season, it will be over when this season ends."
"But there are still some loose ends."
(everyone in the audience telepathically projects) "GET THE gently caress OVER IT GEEZ"

Anyways, that kid is going to be so excited when he sees the new releases this summer. Don't disappoint, Terry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Travis343 posted:

He's so goddamned earnest about the things he likes and even if he's got the taste of a 13 year old perpetually trapped in 1995 I just can't stay mad at the lil' guy.

This is how I feel about the man I call The Puerto Rican Stan Lee.
He's a big fanboy who wants to spread his love of DC through reviews and event summaries. In one video his cell phone "rings" by announcing that his son is calling, which just reinforces my projection of his life as an empty nester who's reconnected with comics and wants fellow readers to share in the love.
There's not a cynical bone in his body and I enjoy his videos for that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Seconding (from experience) that most of Futures End is skippable, although I am digging this Brainiac-as-Galactus development.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did I miss something important in a non-GL book regarding Hal Jordan and his drama-bomb turn in the main series? That sort of "I must become the villain" self-hate is usually reserved for terrible YA fiction and people who don't know how to sever a relationship properly (like I'll be doing to Green Lantern...). What's Hal's logic, again? The past few story arcs have cast the Corps in a bad light with the rest of the universe, ok cool, and Hal is leader of the Corps, right gotcha, and his solution to cosmically bad PR is to... steal a construct generator and go on the lam so that the Corps will band together to catch him? And he makes sure to beat his best alien friend to a bloody pulp in the process?

"It's tough being chief of police, everyone's down on cops these days... I know, I'll steal a tank and drive it into the woods, my squad will feel united when they're forced to gun me down! Better cap my lieutenant in the knee on my way out so everyone knows I'm serious."

Wasn't the Corps just united against a common, love-to-hate-them enemy (New Gods) during Godhead? The event where Hal saved the day twice over? Making the latest turn of events even worse, he just had that bro-time issue at the bar with Guy, and I was led to believe he announced a comeback of sorts in another series with some full-page "guess who's back" reveal. If Hal wants to take a heel turn out of some bent sense of duty, at least be consistent about it, DC.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

WickedHate posted:

It's Dan Slott's entertaining and fun Doctor Who fanfiction.

DC content: I hope the Chris Pine rumors of being Hal in 2020 don't lead to every Green Lantern having Pine portraits on the covers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For anyone wanting a great recent one-and-done Flash story, #26 from the latest run features everything I love in a Flash story: a criminal who enjoys her job, exploitation of super-science aka Flash Facts, and colorfully rendered motion. It's pure adventure that's designed to be fun to read, and goes nowhere near grit or grime.

It's a buck on Comixology while the sale lasts!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This series is fun, looks cool, and each episode of the TV adaptation will come with a title card by Allred. Give it your money.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*enters thread scratching arms, twitching*

Look man, I know Futures End was no good for me, but uh, what about World's End? I need a hit, man, don't take this from me...

For what it's worth, to anyone like me who couldn't sort out Final Crisis to save their lives back when it was released, Multiversity has done a great job of tuning me to Morrison's combination of silver age concepts colliding in a postmodern narrative, and FC reads much more clearly to me today (years of mainlining superhero comics helped, as well).

Zero Hour is the only older event in the sale I haven't read, how is it? And please, I trust the Daily Planet way more than that Bugle rag. It's like they're reporting news from a completely different city! (Give me Perry White hating on DC's weeklies. That will break the cycle. Yeah, man... just one more hit...)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I gave in to the call of Zero Hour, which is a huge reset button of an event with the minimum amount of character/motivation needed to keep a story propped up. At least it had Waverider and the Linear Men, a set of characters I met as a kid via World Without A Superman and always wanted to see again but secretly didn't in case their main series/appearances sucked.

Anyway, a few interesting pages caught my eye, specifically as cues for what would happen in comics to follow, like Starman, Futures End/Convergence, and multiversal concepts in general...

DC needs more rainbows in its cosmic events, colored rings notwithstanding.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Edge & Christian posted:

Was this covered by Zero Hour? I thought it was part of Gerard Jones's post-Giffen/DeMatteis run on Justice League __________.

Yep, Zero Hour! Hawkman offers to help with the birth, Wonder Woman refuses because she needs no aid with a "natural event." Power Girl is holding a bundle of joy by the end.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ooh boy. Futures End is going to piss people off.
The five year future got prevented, but everything's still eventually getting OMACed. Sorry Terry.
I liked the ending :D

It sure pissed me off, especially when Comixology delivered it really early, hours before everything else that came out today.

At least Godhead took its "Gods among space tribes" vibe seriously and was fun to look at, making it worthwhile in spite of its near-total status quo reset. Meanwhile, about a quarter of Futures End was any good and it all dissolved at the end anyway. Just write "Futures End" on top of any issue of Astro City and it would've been a better event comic.

I'm going to treat Convergence like I did the Futures End one-shots: keeping an eye out for fantastic reviews and only picking up the bits that will be good.

By the way, I think I said this in another thread, but Justice Riders is only $2 on Comixology for over 60 pages of JH Williams III goodness and an entirely appropriate wild west reimagining of the Justice League. The only thing that bothered me, even though it ultimately didn't matter to the story: Why is Flash genuinely super-fast in all things when everyone else's powers have a subtler touch? Why can't he just be the quickest draw on earth?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 1, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've been lucky enough to read some friends' Convergence comics and... goddammit, now I want more. Some of it's pretty stupid, but some of it's got nice character moments, and I like how these could be read out of order and still create the larger impression of city showdowns. Issues 0 and 1 of the main Convergence story have yet to say anything beyond the basic premise.

Nearly all of the Part Ones really, really depend on satisfying their cliffhangers in their Part Twos. I hope their endings have as cumulative an effect as the beginnings.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between my friends and I, I've been able to read a lot more of the minis than I thought I would, and a few stand out over the others, at least at this stage of the event. Some personal highlights include...

Wonder Woman defending some old lady's right to religious delusion in the absence of her much-needed pain medication

Steel whacking Gen 13 with a giant hammer

Renee Montoya in anything, period

Supergirl as a bright, positive influence on Superman instead of her constant anger-torture throughout New 52

Ted Kord bringing the banter

Oracle revealing her badass edge in a fight just in time for the cliffhanger

Antagonizing Aquaman by knocking a goldfish out of a bowl and stepping on it

I've still got a ways to go, but Catwoman/Supergirl Matrix/Parallax/Shadow of the Bat/Teen Titans/Atom/Harley Quinn/Justice League/Batgirl/Batman & Robin were all stylistic placeholders that all felt like cutouts of each other. Still a lot of this week's minis to catch up on.

The main Convergence series was doing okay (Jeff King's godawful narration notwithstanding) until the scene imitating The Killing Joke plopped in for no reason.

Then again, The Killing Joke is soaring up the NY Times Bestselling hardcover comics chart, so I guess dashes of grimdark are aimed at that bloodthirsty audience?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space_Butler posted:

Superman hasn't been written that shittily since Lobdell left the title.

I generally dislike Lobdell too, but drat his Blue Beetle issue of Convergence was surprisingly decent.
Then again, the Convergence bar has been consistently low...

(Do space butlers dream of serving space fish?)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Injustice Year Four started today - and it's pretty good!
I'll gladly take a year's worth of seeing the Greek pantheon get dicked over.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Travis343 posted:

In the recent Action preview he's mostly depowered and fucks his hands up pretty bad fighting some ninjas who are hiding in the Arctic for some reason.

I'd love to see supervillains just camping outside the Fortress sharing a thermos of hot coffee, each comparing stories of how THEY will be the one to break in and defeat that no-good savior of humanity. Bonus points if it involves Justice League Antarctica getting reassigned to the North Pole for all of an hour before Superman boots them right back.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Why isn't my robo-cleavage stunning them?! Curse the maker!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bad day posted:

After Batman Eternal (AWESOME), Future's End (ALSO VERY AWESOME), and World's End (REALLY PRETTY ARTWORK) capping off a full year of fantastic weeklies, we get.. This. In the final issue Brainiac gets freed and explains a bunch of stuff. No dramatic tension, no reason to care. Such good characters, such a terrible two months of DC comics.

Future's End was very awesome? I drank that vile potion and can attest it did not fulfill any prescription worth ingesting.

Also, I keep seeing "everything was destroyed!" reactions here and elsewhere. Didn't Didio straight up say Convergence would "leave every door open?" I think Brainiac's line about some going to their deaths is a reference to how some will die in the course of their post-Crisis continuities....

...speaking of Crisis, will DC be putting out a remixed version of that book with Parallax blasting Anti-Monitor in the face?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread