Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, Dinah's been shown to be in a band in Batgirl (I dunno about BoP) already, so it's probably just one of those convergent inspiration things. And Gwen's band look more Josie & The Pussycats compared to Dinah's "probably gets half-empty beer bottles thrown at her while drunk bros yell at her to take her top off" gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Robin, Son of Batman book is clearly just your bog standard Robin solo, just with Damien instead of Tim. We Are Robin... I want to know more about the premise. Is it like a social media thing, where people realise there's been a bunch of Robins, so it turns into an informal Batman Inc. kinda thing or what?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

With double duty Gleason? Pfft.
Look at that fuckin' man-bat-beaver thing!

I mean in the sense that it's "comic about Robin doing superhero things without Batman"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, I don't think I realised that art with the girl and the bubblegum is for Prez? That's neat, if Prez is a girl now? I guess it's a different concept, like maybe she inherits a bunch of shares and becomes president of a company or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair to him, not liking Amanda and Jimmy's style on Harley isn't a crime. It's very Deadpool-ish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Starfire and Roy's relationship was so cute, Lobdell is just a brilliant writer.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed

C'mon dude, you surely can give a better argument than a page from four years ago.
Pretty tangential, but seeing that first page reminded of the original controversy, and I was wondering what our resident Red Hood fanatic's feelings on those pages and posts like this. were then, and are now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently DC have asked press to remove the miniseries designation from the books that were announced as such? I guess they're doing the Marvel thing of waiting to see the numbers and if they're good, they'll just make more? I suppose for something like Harley/Power Girl, there's a shot that the readers of the main book will latch on to it. But Ennis ain't doing Section Eight indefinitely, and Bat-Mite won't make it past 6, mini or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

Gotta at least hand it to him for being genuine and not a gimmick account.

Yeah. Dude likes what he likes and he's not hurting anyone. I'm sure we all have dumb comics/games/movies/shows/songs we love.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Wasn't there a Shazam! book by Johns coming or did I just imagine that was something that was going to happen?

He hinted that was why he left Superman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Yes. Dick, Jason, Cass, and Tim after Identity Crisis are adopted by Bruce. Damian is too, sorta. Steph and Barbara are the only ones who aren't legally his children.

And they set up a neat big sister vibe between Stephanie and Barbara. Or, like the cool aunt that buys you booze. Or a rocket-bike.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, but Grounded if I remember correctly he was ignoring everything other than his stupid walk. I meant that it could be a couple of issues of him doing the mundane stuff and then him a couple of him doing the big. However, that ignores an important part of his character as it would involve him being just Superman and not Superman and Clark.

No, he wasn't.

Grounded was dumb, but not that dumb. He said if something major happened, he'd fly off, deal with it, then go back to the exact spot he'd been on the walk, and pick up where he left off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sounds like a messed up kickstarter. 500$ lets you name the next Robin. 800$ lets you name it and Batman will make sure he lasts at least six months.

$1000 and you can customise the race, $1500 and you can pick race, gender identity and sexual orientation.

And at the $10k level you can actually BE Robin and be kidnapped by a maniac in a clown outfit wielding the blunt instrument of your choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I've got to admit, it's a risky move for DC replace all of their New 52 titles with Mortal Kombat books come July, but I guess anything's worth a shot.

Braniac found the DC vs MK universe and decided that was the prime continuity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What're the ones with Power Girl and Batman Beyond?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

The final one looks like Superman's rocket crashed into the ground.

The cosmic equivalent of this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've actually been rereading some of the original Wolfman/Perez Titans during slow periods at work recently, and yeah, while George certainly takes his opportunity to draw Starfire as this curvaceous, skimpily clad babe, and Wolfman slips in some "What are these things you call... bikinis?" stuff, she's always the one initiating intimacy and enjoying it. Like, Dick Grayson is the one who's all "Whoa, why's this chick making out with me for no reason?" and Kory's basically, "Um, you're hot, sweetie, and it's a free planet?"

And even at that, they work in the stuff about her going with her emotions first, and make sure to emphasise her empathy with her new friends before going into the bloodlust stuff when Deathstroke and Ravager (the original) show up. A lot of her early scenes are dialogue with Donna, doing the 'stranger in a strange land' bit. And her introduction is a tense escape sequence, not a HURRLOOKBEWBS page. (that comes like 4 issues later).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is now a good time to mention that I've never read Death Of Superman? I've listened to the radio version a few times, though!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, he just hits the guy and the Superman does all the work. It isn't like Pa Kent went into hell armed with his magic shovel to slay demons.

OK, someone email Gene Yang, I think we have the plot for his first arc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, it's funny, because the whole horror/war comics thing is exactly how Marvel are using him, with their WW1 fighter ace fights dinosaurs book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the more frustrating thing at this point is that Ennis probably could just about anything he wants, in terms of his way/western/crime stuff published. Yet he keeps taking superhero work and the sheer bile that leaks out of him when he does it is very, very offputting.

The Pro basically overstayed it's welcome, and it's like 50 pages, capped off by a monologue about how idealism is bullshit, everyone's a prude or a hypocrite, and we really need badass manly men to slit throats and murder baddies and be the REAL heroes. I can't imagine reading 100 issues of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

First thing I'm doing after my global takeover is banning all comic book writers from ever using dinosaurs again. It is the loving laziest shorthand for "WUH-HOOO LOOK AT HOW WACKY THINGS HAVE GOTTEN!" in their repertoire.

Well, no-one ever topped Judd Winick's use of them in Power Girl, so this is fair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Again, falls apart, considering The Pro has a page-long rant about how the virtue of the Superman analogue and the notion of hope and symbolism is bullshit and what's really needed is the SAS slitting the throats of Al Qaeda and waterboarding terrorists. (And yes, I know that was even broader satire than his other work, but the joke at that point is how useless the heroes are compared to the trigger happy HOORAH SWAT guys) Or the knots he tied himself into when Spider-Man and Daredevil appear in his MK Punisher run, to show that their ways are dumb and they're just naive dilettantes.

All in all, he comes off to me as the guy who refuses to watch Star Trek because the notion of a world without racism is 'unrealistic'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

How is that not actually of substance?

It's basically going "OH BUT THE REAL WORLD DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT SILLY LESSER WRITER" Which is kind of pointless considering he's talking about a power fantasy/adventure story?

I could write a story talking about how laser swords and psychic powers don't topple REAL governments the way they do in Star Wars, but I'm not actually saying anything there, I'm just scoring points by tearing down something else that isn't even trying to say what I'm accusing it of.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, as I understand it, the Wonder Woman analog from The Boys is a comment on that issue of representation, and the pressure that the existing limited representation places on those existing symbols/characters/stories. Wonder Woman is pretty much the only standalone heroine most people know, so she has to represent every kind of woman from all classes, creeds and races.

That's fine and that's a useful point.

Saying that lovely things happen in real life, and writing stories where bad people get punished instead of getting away with it is pointless, is cynical to the point of me pitying the person who feels that way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I've been giving him poo poo here too, but I wouldn't be that mad if he was a hack. Like, Scott Lobdell is a lovely writer, but the only reason to get mad about that is if he writes a series you'd been enjoying. Ennis is capable of really good stuff. He's also capable of petty stuff, and really juvenile dick and no-homo jokes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I've not read Ennis' takedown of Winick's hate crime arc -- hell, I hadn't even known that he'd written one before today -- but is he aware that the character Terry Berg appears in over thirty issues of Winick's GL run and had been a recurring support character in the book for years before the actual gay bashing storyline came around? He was like Kyle Rayner's Jimmy Olsen. We'd already gotten to know him and his life long before that incident, so if Ennis' criticism was that Terry was just a stock sad gay trope to be paraded around for sadness points and then shuffled aside after his sad gay purpose was over (from what I can tell of his critique through the descriptions here despite, again, never having read this story)...well, that's not correct. That is objectively inaccurate.

Also, even if the whole "superhero punching bad guys" solution isn't necessarily a very realistic or effective solution to homophobia and discrimination in the comics world, isn't there something to be said for comics being used as a medium for raising awareness and encouraging activism about these real problems in our real world? Telling a morality play about homophobia in such a dramatic fictional context, at the very very very least, tells people reading it "This is wrong. This is a really bad thing that shouldn't be tolerated." It seems absurd in this day and age that anyone with a functional brain needs to be told that beating gay kids half to death is a bad thing, but even ten years ago the climate was incredibly different and no one was saying anything about it.

No, you see that is a symbolic act of solidarity and hope, and is thus utterly worthless because it doesn't literally beat up bigots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All of that is very true, and as I said, I wouldn't be so upset if I didn't recognise a lot of his talent. It's why people get mad at Dave Sim or Frank Miller. We know they're talented, so when they create stuff that is offensive or deplorable, it's upsetting.

I do think you glossed over another element that tends to be offputting about Ennis, though. The scatalogical, crude and occasionally homophobic humour he's prone to using. Which can certainly be chalked up to some of the same elements of his upbringing, but doesn't excuse them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was more wondering why Dick's coaching a girl's high-school soccer team. He's a spy, right? Is this an EEEVIL terrorist high school? ...I just remembered someone mentioned this in the Batman thread... It's the same school Bruce and Steph broke up in Batman Inc, isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tell me that wasn't an idea to get the girls to stop hitting on him? I don't know what would annoy me more about that. How dumb it makes Dick seem, or how cliche it is that it's backfiring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

"Here's your torturous punishment: YOU HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE GAY" *scare chord*

Stop loving this up, DC.

To be fair, the rest of the dialogue implies it's the other kind of questionable. The 'straight women fetishise gay men' type. Basically, it'd be like sentencing Batgirl to have sexy pillow-fights with her female roommates.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's also kind of absurdly forced. "See, I named his buttcheeks, but in such a way that it can be mistaken for the class we're in!"

On the other hand, teenagers are kinda tryhards. She'd probably been working on it since second period.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

COULSON IS WAID.

If you didn't get this in the Ms Marvel issues, I have no clue how you read the issue with those blinkers on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Beyond's solicit worries me. It sounds like they don't know what the actual appeal of the character is, and just think they can slap the costume on any character and any setting and it'll work.

The Superman one sounds a lot like Yuen's doing the outing story. Which is interesting. There's been stories where Clark's been Superman full-time, but I don't think they've ever really done the 'whole world knows his identity' thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, Prez wouldn't have lasted more than 12 as a full ongoing anyway, but that's still longer than the original book made it. And that sounds like a pretty good updating of the original premise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is DC's Chris Claremont, but unlike Marvel they have not stopped giving him writing jobs.

Claremont had an ongoing title last year.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the White Lantern thing all about life energy? Is Kyle even killable while he has the ring?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cuz jackal heads are cool?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's more accurate to say they like Hal and Barry more than hating Kyle and Wally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The domino mask is probably because that's what he has in the TV show, though. He's been rocking goggles mostly since the New 52. And yeah, the Flash design is obviously going for the TV look.

Also, heh, Maps and Damian make a cute couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Props to the artist on the Batgirl one for nailing 'creeptastic', at least. Not sure it's a look you want to go for, considering the books current branding, but it's a well-drawn piece.

• Locked thread