Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I've been reading DC since like '03, and if there's been a more interesting roll out of announcements I must have missed it. It's a lot of books that are up in the air in terms of quality, but you know what that's pretty drat exciting and most of these books are backed up by real talent or at the very least an interesting artist in the case of books like Bat-Mite and Dr. Fate.

Not only that, but it's the only announcement suite I can think of in the longest time that isn't punctuated by a bunch of dead on arrival duds. I mean you have those Lobdell books that will probably blow, but really even then you still have Dan Jurgens on the absolute last thing you'd ever expect him on. That's got to count for something.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

The editorial control part makes me wonder how long that many of these people are sticking around; even if the individual editors have their heart in the right place, DC seems way less like a place where up-from-the-indies guys stick around. Remember when the Batbokos brought in like, Dylan Horrocks, Eddie Campbell, Jon Lewis, Damion Scott, Andersen Gabrych, James Jean, Mike Huddleston, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Cameron Stewart, Javier Pulido, Brian K Vaughan and a bunch of other people to shake things up after like a decade of Chuck Dixon and his crew? Within a few years (almost) all of these people were gone from DC and guess who was back writing Batbooks (hint: Chuck Dixon).

There's actually a lot of new-ish/cool creators on that list, but I'll be more excited when you see Ming Doyle/Becky Cloonan/Annie Wu/Babs Tarr/Sonny Liew/Gene Yuen Yang/Brenden Fletcher/David Walker/Steve Orlando getting actual runs on books with clear support from DC.

I think the difference here is that this is the result of a from the top-down mandate that encompasses almost the entire line, rather than a single editor's attempt to bring in all his indie buds. This is a clear response to unseen success in the form of books like Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn all of which were proof that there actually is an audience for a more visually and tonally diverse line instead of JUST the grognards they've been pandering to for over a decade.

I mean this is DC, and who the gently caress knows is really going on in their head, but all of these announcements have been presented under the guise that they are looking for creator-first continuity loose stories that celebrate diversity. I mean this is exactly what people have been asking for and the idea that they're immediately going to go back to their old tricks sounds a little unlikely even given DC's history.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Also, does it seem that DC is finally starting to drift from the house style they were so adherent to immediately after the relaunch?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: DC has been moving away from a unified house style for a while now and even the early parts of the New 52 showed more range than say mid-00's DC. This is probably the most visually diverse group of DC books, in just about forever.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Minis sell less than ongoings. Labeling them as such, unless they're an event series, is willingly losing money.

It's as simple as that.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

This is a fantastic idea.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Shut up about DT holy crap.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So does the new Dr. Fate book have any chance of being good?

This is the artist for Dr. Fate, Sonny Liew.

It will probably be very good, yes.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm really curious to see how many characters end up with a redesign when we start seeing more details on the new books in the coming months.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

The new Suicide Squad roster mercifully devoid of Harley Quinn and Joker's Daughter. But also apparently they're fighting ISIS now because uh

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

He's been like that for a couple of years now?

I don't really have any issue with the Suicide Squad being thrown into foreign turmoil, but yeesh, just give them a different name are something. Having a bunch of Americans clown on ISIS is just in bad taste.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I am so loving on board with this

Yeah I was kind of iffy about this one, I love Gleason a whole bunch but artists who end up writing at DC more than often end up being awful. This however sounds like a total loving delight.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Not going to bother giving Rich traffic, but apparently a recent retailer convention revealed that Geoff Johns is only going to be writing one comic from this point forward.

How the times change.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe if GI Combat featuring army dudes and dinosaurs didn't sell around two copies.

First thing I'm doing after my global takeover is banning all comic book writers from ever using dinosaurs again. It is the loving laziest shorthand for "WUH-HOOO LOOK AT HOW WACKY THINGS HAVE GOTTEN!" in their repertoire.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Sinestro is a book I like a lot even though it's not very substantial and its greatest strength is having a character I like.

Thank you all for listening.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 25, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Grayson is good actually.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

"I'd know that rear end anywhere" is the single best panel of the year thus far and it physically hurts me that anyone could feel otherwise.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

DiDio and Lee saying literally all of the right things.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Hal has been the best Lantern for at least 5 years now. He's an idiot cowboy and that schtick works perfectly when writers acknowledge that he's an anachronistic dumbass instead of lionizing him.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Batman Beyond has been confirmed as Terry if there was some concern here.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm curious where Paul Levitz earned this sub-Scott Lobdell reputation as the worst the industry has to offer. Because outside of a couple of ho-hum runs on Legion and World's Finest (Both of which actually had a couple of solid issues and were marred by lame casts and constantly shifting edicts) I can't think of a single thing he's done to earn him this title. In fact, I specifically remember Superman/Batman Annual #4 being a solid Beyond story and the LOSH Annual he did with Giffen a few years back being every bit as good as his original run.

He ain't no loving Marv Wolfman.

Sonny Liew right off the bat is good enough to justify a purchase, and not only that but it's being edited by DC's newest hire Andy Khouri. Formerly the EiC of Comics Alliance. I'm willing to stake whatever miniscule reputation I might have that this will be a good book.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Geoff and Dan hate Kyle.

That's why he's led his own title for almost a decade now.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm digging the poo poo out of this new Green Arrow costume. That new Wonder Woman costume just doesn't work for me at all, get rid of the pauldrons and the hilarious katars and it might be alright.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

It's hard to see the actual costume past Brett Booth's terrible loving art, but it looks alright far as I can tell. It certainly is a Flash costume.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I hate that Finch Wonder Woman costume almost as much as I love the new Fabok Wonder Woman. This look is the one they're using in Justice League, which I assume is the look they'll use any time she makes a guest appearance and will be the "default" look for merchandising and such.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Huge huge ups to DeMattias' Phantom Stranger series. It's a perfect blend of supernatural occult, human drama, and the occasional twinge of gallows humor.

Don't let the Judas retcon scare you away, it's a fantastic book.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

That Wonder Woman costume looks absolutely nothing like Captain Marvel's new costume. For gently caress's sake that thing has 3 god drat layers to it.

quote:

DC Comics: It looks like they just swapped the [randomly selected] bits from [successful Marvel thing] to make [lame rehash].

It's cool that DC is putting together a line that is almost completely legit across the board outside of a couple of potholes, one that's been birthed almost entirely by listening and responding to virtually every criticism that's been leveled at them over the last 5 years and it's still greeted with this bottom of the barrel ax-grinding. This thread is such a chore to read sometimes, I swear.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Who was complaining that the Flash's costume wasn't Brett Boothy enough? Give me their addresses.

Yeah it's awful that you'll have to deal with Flash having a bad costume in the book you're already not reading.

Flash has his original New 52 duds on the Justice League covers, and the idea of DC's loose continuity rules means that at least in terms of the Justice League characters, you have an established look that rests as their default.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 13, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Marvel's had order-all variants as long as DC has been doing them, the problem is they're usually also a match-order as well. What that means is usually to qualify you have to make some stupid order level on the normal cover before you can order as many of the variant as you want. DC actually copied Marvel in this respect, they just dropped the match requirement.

It's almost like framing these discussions in terms of copying and rehashing instead of both companies capitalizing off of success they see in the market is really loving stupid and reductive!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Do you think that's how DC feels when they do things like this? Do you think that's their reasoning for it?

Taking a risk and allowing the creative team to personalize the book to their tastes while having a back-up plan to fall back on that suits a more traditional taste, yes I imagine this is precisely how they feel and why they have justified looser continuity. Were you like trying to trap me in my own logic or something?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Both books are garbage, and alongside Lobo its baffling how they survived the relaunch unscathed.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Wow.

I am legit shocked at the speed and determination in which this was addressed. Maybe they are learning.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Stewart clarified on twitter that by threats and harassment DC wasn't referring to people being abusive towards Albuquerque, but rather people harassing and threatening people who objected to the cover

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Hell yes Green Arrow is finally good again. Zircher's art looks great.

Even though I've never read a thing by Ben Percy outside of a pretty decent fill-in for Detective Comics, the way he's been selling his run on Twitter has me pretty god drat pumped.

Ben Percy's Twitter posted:

The Epic Awesomeness of the Lemire Mythology Will Continue

It's a reboot w/ a much darker, more literary aesthetic. True Detective w/ superheroes.

Remember what happened when Daniel Craig took over James Bond? Like that.

Zero connection to the TV show.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Equeen posted:

Are any of your customers complaining about "censorship"?

God this whole thing is such a stupid hill to die on. You have a cover that literally every person involved in the creative process wants nothing to do with, and one that the artist responsible for personally asked to be pulled. At this point the only one who's creative intent is trying to be defended here is the marketing division that commissioned it in the first place.

But I mean these discussions about censorship are the exact same ones GooberGate is having right now, and everyone knows its just another smokescreen for bitching about women.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

My least favorite thing in the world is people who think freedom of speech means you't not allowed to criticize anything and have a magic barrier which means you never have to face any form of response to something you say or do.

I personally love that all of the rallying around free speech is supposed to be meant as a cry of empowerment for creative types, but every single loving time it reduces men like Albuquerque to weak-willed children who don't the fortitude to spend a couple of days listening to people criticize their work. Thank God we have MRAs to tell us how men like Albuquerque really feel.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

Not surprisingly a lot of the people I saw on Twitter complaining about the cover being cancelled were GGers

The hysterical thing is that GG is doing exactly what they claim tumblr folk do and are trying to co-opt a hobby they don't partake in, in order to warp it to their standard.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Dreqqus posted:

Agreed. I sincerely hope a mod comes and banishes all hellthread-worthy discussion back to the hellthread. I just want to know if and when there's a DC comic worth reading again.

Lot of good books on the horizon. I personally recommend keeping your eyes out for Prez, Midnighter, Green Arrow, Detective Comics, Black Canary, and Hellblazer since I think those will probably be the books to blow up the biggest.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

lol like I'm going to read all of this poo poo

Alouicious posted:

Hey BottledBodhisvata what's your favorite comic book series currently going?

Answer the question.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Robin: Son of Batman is going to be the poo poo.

Johnny Quest meets How to Meet Your Dragon is probably the single greatest pitch for a Big 2 book I've heard in years.

Anyway in a desperate attempt to keep this thread from consisting entirely of screaming at morons, I think I'm the only one so far who's expressed any interest in Lost Army. The Green Lantern books have been on the downswing since Johns stepped off, with the exception of Red Lantern and Sinestro, but I'm actually pretty sold on this particular book. It's definitely the kind of book that only someone who's already into Green Lantern could possibly want to read, but the pitch sounds exactly like DnA's Legion Lost and I'm pretty loving okay with that. Jesus Saiz is also hot off of his career defining work on Swamp Thing, so that's cool too.

DC thought they could keep up Johns' good will on GL by trying to match his plotting style and perpetual high stakes without a single quiet moment, but they've completely hosed that up. Taking some time to strip the series down and go in a different direction with a limited story concept is exactly what these books need.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 18, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

I dropped pretty much every DC book like a rock several years ago and those Superman: Domestic Violence edition teaser images had me deciding to steer clear of DC for this dumb reboot too but uh

Yo for real, anyone making this decision based on the fact that Superman looks grumpy and buzzed his hair, please loving reconsider. Greg Pak is writing what is probably the best Superman run since Up, Up, and Away and has been writing Clark with a huge heart and unshakable humanity. Not only that but Gene Luen-Yang is a man known for a string of critically acclaimed and sensitive takes on cultural identity and racial stereotypes. Neither of them are going to write Superman as some fratboy douche who goes around beating up gays outside of bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

No one gives it the praise it deserves, but I'm going to keep repping DeMattias' Phantom Stranger run. Extremely underrated gem.

I also highly recommend the current Genevieve Valentine run on Catwoman, if you dug what Brubaker and Cameron Stewart did with that book over a decade ago. Valentine is doing a great job of turning it back into a good little crime book.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 4, 2015

• Locked thread