Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Convergence prediction: Watchmen is totally going to be involved somehow and it's going to be the worst thing ever.

e: I stopped reading World's End after about issue 8 or so. I don't really agree that it continues in the vein of Tom Taylor, because he used his abilities of "pacing" and "good dialogue" to make the whole thing not-bad. Without him...well, it's something of a slog. I think I gave up after the third or fourth "Earth-2 Superman is back!" fakeout, which for me just kind of highlighted how stale the whole thing had become.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

There shoulda been a 1985 Hex two-shot :colbert:

The odder stuff there has me way more interested in the main series.

I would love to read something with Cap's Hobby Shop World effortlessly triumphing against a procession of grimdark universes, but expect to see the exact opposite happen because DC.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Just to check that I've got this right, the Elseworlds that are represented in the Multiversity aren't the same worlds that are in Convergence, right? For example, the Muliversity's Earth-22 that's based on Kingdom Come is completely different from the "Kingdom Come Universe" in this event, even though they are exactly the same?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It seems like a bit of an own-goal for DC that at least some of the universes involved in Convergence are from trades that are long out of print; you'd think they'd have reprinted as much as they could in the run-up, and done dollar issues of things like the first bit of Kingdom Come. As it stands I quite want to give them some money so I can read about the Justice Riders, but I have absolutely no ability to do so.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 1, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Space Fish posted:

By the way, I think I said this in another thread, but Justice Riders is only $2 for over 60 pages of JH Williams III goodness and an entirely appropriate wild west reimagining of the Justice League. The only thing that bothered me, even though it ultimately didn't matter to the story: Why is Flash genuinely super-fast in all things when everyone else's powers have a subtler touch? Why can't he just be the quickest draw on earth?

Wait, what!? It's online? Well, I rescind my earlier post.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Seeing presumably several years worth of comics summarised in a matter of fact way like this really rams home how ridiculous their plots often are.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I should probably start Gotham Central, finally.

Spend all the money you're spending on this on that instead.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DudeDeuce posted:

Convergence: Superman was awesome. I think it was the perfect "mash-up" of Pre-Flashpoint and Flashpoint universes - especially with their Supermen. And as a comic book guy that got into comics when the very popular Death of Superman story was introduced - I was SO HAPPY to see my Superman back.

I feel like the world's biggest nerd for even caring about this, but it bothered me that Flashpoint Batman is even trying to save his city from destruction in this comic. Wasn't his whole character arc in the comic he's from about destroying his own universe so that his son can live again? It's a bit rubbish to have all these characters coming back for hardcore geeks if they then behave in ways that aren't anything like what the hardcore geeks would remember.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence #2 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/24097-preview-dc-s-convergence-2.html
Click for a bunch of wasted pages of Worlds End recap, though the solicit promises Futures End Vs Stan Lee's Just Imagine!

In the actual issue this turns out to just be a two page spread of them zapping lasers at each other rather than anything really resembling interaction, while the bit with Superman Red and Blue is almost literally a character running past them and saying "Gosh! There are two supermen who are Red and Blue". It's really not very good at all; whoever said it was just toys smashing together was on the money.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 15, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

It'll be blown up on my bedroom wall.

It's not a very well drawn or composed spread.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Superboy also wasn't good at all, in case somebody thought it might have somehow been okay.

e: I did think The Question and Superman were good last week, though; it's not all been bad.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 16, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shazam preview:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/convergence-shazam-jeff-parker-and-doc-shaner-make-golden-age-magic/

I would happily read ten ongoings like this.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I have really wanted to like Convergence, because I love multiple universe poo poo, but god it's all so boring. I was hoping we were going to see like every version of the hero's and villains getting together and doing things. Like I wanted to see full spreads of every different superman version standing next to each other. If you are going to make a clusterfuck make it a goddamn clusterfuck. It all just feels safe.

In a weird way, the book that seemed closest to what I'd hoped Convergence would be turned out to be Squirrel Girl 4: Galactus and Squirrel Girl are from different enough genres of comic that seeing them interact is genuinely appealing. Seeing 90s Superboy say "look at that fast man" at Kingdom Come Flash is...well, less so.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I quite enjoyed Plastic Man and the Freedom Fighters, even though the Nazi-run New York is unintentionally hilarious and has products like "Nazi Nibbles" and "Hitler Pops" to illustrate how the Reich has won. The problem it had to me was that the issue's premise of Nazi-fighting superheroes losing their powers and being forced to turn into terrorists was a lot more interesting to me than "and then they get their powers back and fight robots from the future", so I suspect it might be going downhill in issue 2.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really don't like Scott Snyder's writing; is that just me? It always seems so clunky and full of unneeded words, and the characters always seem to have monologues where they go "I am explaining the obvious subtext of this scene in case you may have missed it". It's like reading someone who hasn't realised there will be pictures around their words. I wouldn't really mind the need for every story to be the biggest one ever if I felt any of them were actually good at the nuts and bolts level.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

DeMatteis already had his shot on JLD and it was pretty eh.

But his Phantom Stranger is one of the best books from the New 52, by far.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought New 52 Booster Gold was the pre-Flashpoint Booster Gold; am I hopelessly confused?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

We spent some issues with Harper trying and failing to be a vigilante, Eternal devoted a lot time to (poorly) chronicle Steph's grew into the Spoiler so the idea of a bunch of kids being able of to make a difference by themselves in a world where super villians exist is absurd.

Batman doing this is also absurd in a world where people like Superman and The Flash exist. I don't see why it's impossible to have a sort of sliding scale of disbelief in place for We Are Robin given one effectively already exists with reference to everything else in DC.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really enjoyed Shazam!, and would have more interest in a monthly book of forties-style adventures from him than I do in literally any of DC's books going forward. The fact it has a preview for the new Hellblazer in the back is just bizarre, though. I don't understand why DC's marketers aren't even capable of putting previews of books aimed at certain demographics at the back of Convergence tie-ins those demographics might be likely to be reading, and have arranged them seemingly literally at random instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's all for this September's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" gimmick month :)

The one thing I really wanted from the New 52 was a month when each of the titles was set on a different one of the 52 Earths. This was back before it was revealed that loads of them were just Elseworlds with the serial numbers filed off, so I imagined basically all of the comics getting to invent crazy status quos and going a bit wild. I'd have bought all of them if it had happened, I expect.

• Locked thread