Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

I would just like to point out how loving hilarious it is that the second Starfire's breasts are completely covered, Dark_Tzitzimine says he's lot all interest in the character.

Just for the record, since she won't be around Jason or Roy anymore and I mentioned before, I don't like Harley Quinn. I don't have the slightest interest on her book, specially since it seems will be similar in tone to how she was on the TT cartoon.

Major props to everyone who wanted that character back though.

Anyway, STOKED AS HELL for Red Hood/Arsenal. Their bromance was the highlight of RHATO and having them stuck together having adventures is pretty drat awesome. shame we lost Starfire but bette her than Roy (now just add Crux and we're golden).

Lobdell keeps writing duties and the book is just RHATO with a new coat of paint so characterizations will be the same and that is what I was more interested in.

Is also a shame that Silva isn't sticking around but Denis draws a mean Red Hood (and without the stupid expressive helmet!)

Amusingly, I've been watching his work on Deviantart for a while now

Other than that, very interested on the Bizarro and BatMite minis and I'm utterly baffled at "We are Robin". Definitely checking out the first issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but if you wanted to bring in new comics readers, especially female comics readers, that's pretty much exactly what you want to do.

And good for them, hope the book sells. Palmiotti and Conner are great writers but the wacky angle they took with Harley Quinn didn't worked for me add that I didn't stand the cartoon version of Starfire and my interest on the series is zero.

I'm still gonna check the first issue to see if they adress her relationship with Roy and friendship with Jason though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

It's a total Deadpool rip off. I'm biased though because I cannot stand Harley as a character anyway.

I dunno, I enjoy greatly Duggan's run on Deadpool. Is more that Harley is way into the nose for my liking.

In any case, the worst part of the news is the fact that Roy and Kori are going seperate ways. Their romance was amazing and it was always cute to see them togther. Most likely Roy will willingly step aside for Kori's sake but is gonna break my heart if issue 40 ends with him seeing her go.

:smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

Starfire and Roy's relationship was so cute, Lobdell is just a brilliant writer.

Indeed

C'mon dude, you surely can give a better argument than a page from four years ago.

Anyways, Denis Medri is the guy who designed Steampunk Lady Spider

And did this awesome Rockabilly Batman redesign

So stoked to see work his magic with Jason and Roy

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

On the other hand, this page also sucks balls.

Why exactly?

It certainly isn't one of Rocafort's best but it perfectly conveys through the dialogue and the corporal language the characters' personalities.

Jason being the resenter, Roy the optimist and Kori the troubled one. Roy's dialogue it also perfectly shows how much he cares for Kori and how much he loves her (even if at that point is a little one sided on his part).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

It perfectly shows that the man writing that dialog cannot actually write and it's also a million words and unless we're suddenly back in the era of Claremont/Byrne X-Men I don't really feel the need to read a million words.

And having long dialogue is bad because?

Lobdell sometimes does have some weird composition on his sentences but overall the way the characters talk fit their personalities and also is in line with the setting of the series.

Besides, Lobdell isn't even the "wordiest" writer on DC, that honor correspond to Snyder.

WickedHate posted:

I went out and picked up the last couple of issues of Outlaws. Not as bad as the last issues I read ages ago. If Lobdell is bringing his A game and the artist is way better then the one on Outlaws(as seems to be the case) then I'm hype.

Lobdell has really brought his A game for his return at RHATO. He managed to turn an editorial mandate plotline (the drug addiction) into a very compelling one with tons of great characters moments.

He also turned Crux into a great character with just one issue

Hell, just give me more interaction and banter like this one and I'll be extremely happy

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

I'm loving almost all of the new books, but incredibly frustrated that Venditti is going to still be crapping up GL and Flash. I've been buying Flash just to make sure if there was a post-convergence change I wouldnt have to be out of the loop on this Wally and future flash business, but if this is just the ongoing direction for a while then I'm totally out like I've been with GL.

Last GL's issue was pretty decent though.

As long Venditti stops with the crossovers and never touches the reservoir bullshit again I think it will be fine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FutureFriend posted:

DT can you please tell me how this drawing is actually real good

Nope, that is not a good drawing but since the rest of the issue is incredibly strong I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it (and the weird Blackfire at the end)

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the name of a demon from the SMT series, as well as the name of an Aztec god with Dark in front of it.The fact that so many tits puns can be done with it is merely happy coincidence, I believe.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who gives a poo poo.

That is correct

At first it was just a name I pulled out of my rear end for the first board I ever participated but then I grew fond of the name and started using it everywhere (so if you see a D_T or Tzitzimine on the wild, chances are is me). Thinking about it, I have nearly ten years with it :corsair:

McSpanky posted:

Normally you'd be right but D_T always turns a deaf ear to earnest attempts to engage him in a dialogue about the troublesome elements of the things he likes. In posts like this and this there's no no malicious tone and are pretty clearly just some guys trying to better understand him and his, charitably, unusual tastes, but he ignores them without fail and plays everything off as a general difference of opinion on quality. That's suspiciously evasive at best and cowardly at worst.

I actually believe that is just a difference on opinion in quality, people just have different tastes.

Still, I'll humor you.

I answered at Yvonmukluk comment already so I'll just focus on Gaz-l's

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty tangential, but seeing that first page reminded of the original controversy, and I was wondering what our resident Red Hood fanatic's feelings on those pages and posts like this. were then, and are now?

My feelings haven't changed, back then I find the whole scene as setup for the characters development over the series and pretty in line for Kori's new backstory. Opinion that it was confirmed as the book progressed.

A follow up article on the controversy analyzing the book after, let's say, a year it would been interesting, everyone who did keep reading the series came to understand that the situation was overblown.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

The art is definitely Outlaws' biggest problem right now, which is why I think the Scott Lobdell that wrote the recent issues I read today teaming up with a better artist is going to be great. Red Hood/Arsenal all the way. I really hope it ends up being better then Outlaws was for so long. It was the book I looked forward most when the New 52 was first coming...before the entire thing turned out to be horrible. But now the New 52 is over and I couldn't be happier. Maybe everything is getting better?

I wonder if the new book will ever get around to reintroducing Lian? It looks like she's gonna be involved in the Titans issue of Convergence.

Starfire controversy aside, RHATO was a very fun and well put book. Lobdell has a strong grasp on this version of the characters and he knew how to balance them adequately. Logically, the team up shouldn't work due how different the characters are but he managed to make it work.

Rocafort's pencills were also vibrant, colorful and detailed (so much that even the book harsher critics accepted RHATO at pretty to look at)

And yes, the art has been the biggest issue for the book from the longest time. After Rocafort left it was stuck with Green II that it was the replacement guy for every artist back then. While the guy does have talent, he's a better fit for horror comics so his style clashed too much with RHATO's tone.

After him there were issues with various artists sharing art duties and Kirkham's excellent work with Lobdell's final issue.

When Tynion came on board they hyped Mico Suayan as the new artist (and he certainly seemed a great choice) but the guy didn't even deliver a single issue!

Julius Gopez was then appointed as the book artist and his work was, well, horrible. Tynion's script were bad enough already so having such lovely art it only served to drive away the readership.

There were some bright spots though, Jeremy Haun on the Zero Year tie in and Stephen Segovia on Tynion's final issue. Shame that the writing still sucked balls

Then Rapha Sandoval was announced as the book new artist but he only did a full issue and just vanished letting RB Silva as the de facto artist for the book.

While Silva has some issues, his style is perfect for the book and the best artist the book has had since Rocafort.

I see difficult for Liam to be introduced but who knows?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

Aside from the stuff with Starfire, I really disliked that stuff with that secret society Jason was connected to. I don't really remember much of it at all because my memory is just piss poor and that was years ago, but I kept with it for a little while and I just thought it was all very silly and poorly explained. I don't know if those elements are connected to the current storyline and the issues I read today, but I'm hoping that's ignorable as possible.

The All-Caste

Personally I found them fascinating since they added a whole new layer to Jason and potential for tons of new stories. They weren't that developed because Lobdell's plan was to have them and their fight against the Untitled as a long term arc revealing more about them as time passed. Then he was removed from the book and the idea was cut short.

Tynion tried to retcon them away by using the League of Assasins and dealing with the Untitled at once. As you can imagine, that went extremely poorly. He did managed to lay waste on the concept so I don't believe is gonna be prominent any time soon.

Since you're checking out the most recent issues, I'd love to read your thoughts on the reviews I've made about them

http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/search/label/RHATO

I started reviewing with issue 35.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

See man, this is what's cool about you. You put so much effort and thought into this stuff. You're a fanboy in the coolest way because even if it's not high art it means a lot to you and that's awesome. You make it high art from caring about it so much. That's what being a fan is all about, man. You put a lot of effort into what you say about comics and I really appreciate that.

I read 38, 37, and the Future's End tie in. I don't really care for Oliver Stark, but the rest of 37 was good. Of the three my favorite was the Future's End issue, because I love the idea of Jason going back to his "kills criminals" beginings. That's my sort of super hero. And the "It didn't." bit was heartwrenching. Definitely a little hard to follow, though.

Yeah the Future's End issue was great, although I have to wonder how viable that take on Jason is on the long term. Seeing him killing dudes seems easy to become boring after three issues.

The fact the interaction between Roy and Jason is so heart wrenching (despite being a few pages long) speaks tons of how good is Lobdell grasp on both characters. You CAN believe the internal struggling between them.

Red Hood/Arsenal is gonna be SO good.

And yes, I tend to be very passionate about stuff I like. :v:

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So apparently Scott Lobdell's hot new book Doomed is about the adventures of a teenage Doomsday clone....

Who is green lighting this stuff and why are they even wasting the paper?

I wouldn't give a lot of weight to that info.

I've only seen it reported by BC and that was pretty much Rich pulling out of his rear end.

The single piece of art makes me think that is more of a creator oriented thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

The Punisher Red Hood MAX. It could totally work, and if I ever get a job at DC it would be my personal mission to at least write mini of that.

Actually, everyone should read Ennis' Punisher MAX. It's awesome.

That's something I've argued for a while. For a full no mercy Red Hood antihero it would need to be a Vertigo series, completely outside of the regular DCU.

Drop any supervillians, superheroes and superheroes and just have Jason as a incredibly trained guy willing to bring justice to the world. Having him traveling all around the world going after drug cartels, slave trade rings or corrupt politics would be awesome as hell.

His current direction is perfect for the DCU though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

I was excited when Nicieza was attached to the book for all of a second (I distinctly remember it was either this or Teen Titans, tell me I'm not crazy). Speaking of, the fact that Nicieza wasn't given any books is kind of a crime, but so is Bryan Q. Miller being relegated to Smallville poo poo, so whatever.

Nicieza was never attached to neither TT or RHATO, they were always Lobdell's gigs since the reveal.

Nicieza did some dialogues for both though, maybe that is what you remember.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

I think during the very, very, very first promos of those books, Nicieza was attached to one of them, and then pretty immediately got scratched out and my enthusiasm dropped out of the sky and hit concrete.

Teen Titans is the most likely then, RHATO came absolutely out of nowhere (among Batwing) and left most people scratching their heads about their existence :v:

EDIT: Tomasi says that he isn't leaving the Bat books

Peter Tomasi posted:

Will talk more about Batman and Robin after the DC Burbank meet! But I can say that I am not leaving the Batman Family!

So I guess we will see more new books on its due time.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
drat, "We are Robin" sound pretty good. I'll pick it up for sure

I'll also check Son of Batman, hopefully Damian will be powerless there.

And here are all the Convergence's May solicits

Interestingly, the N52 will get involved on the main series after all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Mortal Kombat X keeps being pretty good. And Kotal Kahn is becoming my favorite new character.

Still (and I know is kind of a silly thing to get upset by), I'm incredibly dissapointed at Netherrealm for taking the Matyinctec route with him.

As I mentioned before, the guys obviously did their research while designing him. So it baffles me the decision of making him the Mayan god of sacrifice (and of Mayans in the middle of the loving Amazon to boot) :cripes:

The only thing they needed to do was to change Mayans for Aztecs and Buluc for Huitzilopochtli.

Why Netherrealm, why?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Superstring posted:

Whoaaaa Chinese ninja warrior
With your heart so cold
Sub-Zeroooo

Well, they tried to improve things over the time (making the brothers sons of a chinese family, the change of names and so on).

Maybe for the next reboot they will also improve Kotal :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All that research of looking at Tekken long enough to steal Ogre's design. No seriously, fight games research goes as far as "What did I see in other fight game that looked cool" then pulling a few photos for reference of what they're based on from GIS and then drawing.

Fight Games character design is incestuous to the point of in jokes making fun of this have become full fledge characters who were then ripped offed or parodied in another fighting game.

I find that hard to believe when Kotal shares so many elements with Huitzilopochtli: blue skinned, Sun deity, feeds on human hearts, incredibly protecting of his people/family, the Macahuitl is a weapin only found within the Aztecs.

There's also the fact that Ogre it is a mix and match of Mesoamerican/south american elements while Kotal's overall design retains a lot of influence from Aztec elements (the helmet, the bones, the marks on his chest).

I might be giving them way too much credit but they got so many things right to be pure coincidence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You 100% are. Like all that 'research' can be done with a 2 minute look on GIS for "Aztec Warrior".

To be fair with the "Ken Masters" thing, that was an internal joke.

And well, I wonder what kind of Google search they did to get Buluc Chabtan, it is a pretty obscure deity. I'm an archeologist and I didn't knew of him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for reminding me!

Tom King gave a small interview to EW about Convergence

quote:

It’s an idea that’s always been integral to the DC Universe, and one of the strongest differentiators between the publisher and its chief competitor, Marvel: legacy. DC heroes are more often than not about upholding a mantle that’s passed on from hero to hero—the Green Lantern Corps, the family of characters that form around Batman and Superman, all the people who have taken on the role of The Flash—the heroes of the DC Universe are bigger than the people who wear their masks. But they’re also part of a family, which is something that resonates strongly with King.

“I always look for family, somewhere,” says King. A” father-son story, a father-daughter story, relationships between parents and children. Every one of us on some level connect to those stories, because we are a parent or a child … ultimately, it’s a story of survival, and good triumphing over evil in the compassionate sense, rather than the jingoistic one.”

The interview also includes this awesome spread about the multiple deaths of Superman

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Superman was kind of a letdown after the previous issue although it was nice to see the Phantom King making good on his threat from Doomed.

Wonder Woman is pretty uneven, there are some great moments here and there (like the bit with the Amazon men) but it feels directionless and the art is all over the place.

Trinity of Sin was finally good, it helped a lot that it was an introspective issue focused on the Question. Shame that is too little, too late.

Teen Titans was also pretty entertaining, Manchester Black is an interesting character and I'm curious to see what is his agenda. So it seems Pfeifer's weak point is character focus stories.

Future's End was pretty drat awesome. Things have improved for the heroes for once. Loved the moment between Superman and Shazam

Earth's End on the other hand, was dissapointing. Total filler issue. We did met E2 version of Obsidian though.

Supergirl was fun although it set too much of a plot to be satisfactorily resolved on just one issue. We'll see I guess.

Justice League was pretty good, although the arc feels like it could've solved on less issues. It did introduced a change to the status quo (the oubreak created new metahumans) that I guess it will reintroduce characters and kick off some new series on June. But honestly, I'm more pumped for this:

HAL IS BACK! :neckbeard:

And finally, Red Hood.

Oh man, this issue was so good.

The drug arc has finally come to a close and everything fell perfectly into place: Jason proving himself stronger than Venom, Kori taking a huge gamble to dismantle a intergalactic drug ring and Roy's trust into his friends being rewarded.

In fact, that is what I liked the most. See again how strong is the friendship between the three of them, the tender moment between Roy and Kori was also fantastic. I sure hope Starfire doesn't throw the relationship over the window.

Highly unlikely though, I can't see of a way to explain the split up of the Outlaws aside of the team being completely ignored by Conner and Palmioti

I'm glad to see that just like Crux, Blackfire is more than meets the eye, and despite everything pointing for her being a villian, ultimately she just wants the best for her dear little sister (and the banter between them was adorable). It does seem Blackfire will kick the bucket next issue, hope I'm wrong.

Crux playing the straight man to all the craziness was hilarious while Rose was a fun addition to the story. Shame about the lost of his ship though.

However, Rose is certainly the weakest part of the issue. Both because her apperance lacked proper development and is highky unlikely we'll see her again (anytime soon at least, given she's in Daniels' toybox )

Although it was fun to see Jason having a thing for white haired girls.

And speaking of Jason, that scene with Rose. While somewhat corny was great because showcased the talents of both equally. In fact, I love the way Lobdell can balance all the characters so everyone have its time to shine.

Never cared for Hellspont myself but is great to see that plotline finally coming to a close, having The Otlaws the ones in charge of that is just the cherry on the top.

And while the art wasn't that good, this is one cool spread.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Another great interview with King about Convergence

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Via Bleeding Cool:

quote:

Bleeding Cool has told you how the Convergence titles from DC Comics will contain new, original preview stories for the June mini-relaunch titles, that won’t be reprinted until the collections of the series they promote. And how those stories will also be made available free on all platforms. Well, on Friday at the DC Retailer Roadshow in New York.

The first issue of the Convergence two-part mini-series will have two page spread detailing that character or character’s history, for those unfamiliar with them.

And then the second and final issue will have an original eight page story to promote June’s books, both new and returning.

That does sound pretty neat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Grayson has been hit or miss with me.

When is focused on Dick and his struggles as character it has been incredibly good (the issue on the desert was fantastic) but there are some issues where the plot takes a back seat and we only got scenes where they gush about how cool Grayson is.

Oh, and the rear end comment by Midnighter was too into the nose for my liking.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp, Grayson was again "see how loving awesome Dick Grayson is" and the Minos' plot line had kind of a lovely conclusion.

Oh well, wasn't that bad.

Green Lantern on the other hand... :cripes:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 4, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Haven't read Grayson and it does seem pretty bad but I feel like most superhero comics could be boiled down to "Look how awesome (the guy whose name is on the cover) is".

Not Green Lantern :smith:

But stll, you're right and don't misunderstand me. It was pretty good (I'm really liking Agent 1) but ultimately I was somewhat dissapointed at how they closed the first "season" of the book.

They set Minos like being this great mastermind and what not, just to be taken down like a chump.

EDIT:

Swamp Thing, HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo

NOW THAT'S HOW YOU END A STORY

Man, why DC didn't snatch Soule when they had the chance? :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 4, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

Did I miss something important in a non-GL book regarding Hal Jordan and his drama-bomb turn in the main series? That sort of "I must become the villain" self-hate is usually reserved for terrible YA fiction and people who don't know how to sever a relationship properly (like I'll be doing to Green Lantern...). What's Hal's logic, again? The past few story arcs have cast the Corps in a bad light with the rest of the universe, ok cool, and Hal is leader of the Corps, right gotcha, and his solution to cosmically bad PR is to... steal a construct generator and go on the lam so that the Corps will band together to catch him? And he makes sure to beat his best alien friend to a bloody pulp in the process?

"It's tough being chief of police, everyone's down on cops these days... I know, I'll steal a tank and drive it into the woods, my squad will feel united when they're forced to gun me down! Better cap my lieutenant in the knee on my way out so everyone knows I'm serious."

Wasn't the Corps just united against a common, love-to-hate-them enemy (New Gods) during Godhead? The event where Hal saved the day twice over? Making the latest turn of events even worse, he just had that bro-time issue at the bar with Guy, and I was led to believe he announced a comeback of sorts in another series with some full-page "guess who's back" reveal. If Hal wants to take a heel turn out of some bent sense of duty, at least be consistent about it, DC.

Well, the whole thing is a plan of the Templar Guardians to salvage the reputation of the corps, from what I can gather. Their plan is to use Hal as scapegoat so the universe trust the corps again.

Somehow.

Maybe.

In short, Venditti's a TERRIBLE writer.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying Lobo. Cullen is taking the core aspects of the character and giving them a spin to make them more serious. And so far, Lobo being a professional ruled by his own code of honor is working pretty well. Suddenly killing all of his supporting cast was a crazy but great move.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, the book is one of the greatest classics of latin american literature and it chronicles the rise and fall of the Buendía Family and their town, Macondo; through the eponymous 100 years

One ofthe biggest themes on the book is the notion of fate. Nearly everything that happens to the Buendías is told on a prophecy told to the patriarch at the beginning of the book and while many members try to defy it, it only sets the stage for the prophecy to come true.

The book is somewhat dense to read since lots of characters share the same name (in fact, their names kind of determine they personality) and there are time skips, flashbacks and remembrances spread through all the story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress DC?

Endgame's final, Superman 40 and Multiversity 2 have been delayed until April 29th.

Oh, and Batman Eternal's final issue has a page and price increase.

EDIT:

New interview with Venditti about Green Lantern

http://www.newsarama.com/23725-green-lantern-writer-on-hal-s-new-ring-free-direction-for-june.html

I...I don't know how to feel about it.

The idea itself sounds good and interesting on paper but Venditti's execution has been pretty bad so far.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 7, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Bleeding Cool, Didio talks about Doomed, Mystic U, Prez and Section 8

Dan Didio posted:

Mystic U by Alisa Kwitney is part of a new look at the mystic side of the DC Universe along with Dark Universe and Hellblazer: John Constantine, and the writers had recently held a mini-summit. His take is, if you are reading Dark Universe ahead of the Guillermo Del Toro project, or Constantine from the TV show, then maybe picking up Mystic U might not be a bad idea either.

Doomed picks up from the Scott Lobdell‘s Superman: Doomed storyline, with the Doomed spores, and you find out what happens when an alien virus infects someone and how they can change in the process. With a big brooding strong character, the kind I love to see in comics.

Prez is possibly my personal favourite, a little book that could, full of incredibly interesting ideas, with a strange voice with a sense of humour, a real bite and edgy sensibilities to how it approaches things

And Section 8 is exactly what people think it is, with Garth Ennis and John McCrea, that everyone has their fingers crossed over, that breaks the office out into hysterical laughter. The staff are not sure if DC should do the book, “but what the heck” , it’s irreverent, the opposite end of the spectrum for DC books. And that’s what makes the line, from Batmite and Bizarro’s all ages titles, pushed to the other side with Section 8 and the dark, biting Omega Men….

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
"We are Robin" sound pretty intriguing, although I have to admit I'm not fully convinced yet about the idea of any random kid getting involved in superheroics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

So I can read Red Hood/ Arsenal without worrying about being derailed by whatever Snyder is doing over Batman?

Sign me the gently caress up.

All in all, June is gonna be fantastic for DC.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First June Solicits

Justice Society, JL, Sinestro, Aquaman and GL: Lost Army

Aquaman is by far the less interesting of the bunch, Cullen has been solid on Sinestro so I'm willing to give a shot to Lost Army, JS and JL sounds amazing.

Just look how badass Hal looks :allears:

New E2 Batman by the way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gene Luen Yang talks Superman

Superman # 41
Written by Gene Luen Yang
Art and cover by John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson
The Joker variant cover by Karl Kerschl
On sale June 24 • 32 pages, FC, $3.99 U.S. • Rated T
The epic new story line “TRUTH” continues with the debut of the amazing new creative team of new writer Gene Luen Yang ("American Born Chinese") and continuing artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson! What will happen when the big secret is revealed?

Guess shaking the status quo is the trend.

Oh, and it seems June will be the Joker variant month.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ming Doyle and Tynion talk about Constantine

Not really liking their ideas, but then again, I'm biased against Tynion.

And Batman Beyond Solicit

BATMAN BEYOND #1
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG
1:25 Variant cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSKY
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
At last, Batman Beyond gets his own ongoing series in THE definitive future of the DCU! But this isn’t the Beyond you think you know! With the Justice League missing and without Bruce to guide him, this new Batman will need to explore this bizarre world on his own while fighting to raise humanity from an opponent that’s already won.
The heroes Batman knew have failed, the world he knew has been turned on its head, and every step he takes will lead him either toward finding home – or further down the road of disaster!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Whoah, plenty of solicits

BAT-MITE #1

Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by CORIN HOWELL
1:25 Variant cover by CORIN HOWELL
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Bat-Mite is here to fix the DC Universe – one hero at a time! Convinced that he’s the imp that put Batman on the map, he’s spreading his expertise all over the DC Universe, eager to boost the careers of heroes he thinks need his “help.” Don’t miss the start of this six-issue all-ages miniseries!

BIZARRO #1

Written by HEATH CORSON
Art and cover by GUSTAVO DUARTE
1:25 Variant cover by KYLE BAKER
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

“Hate HARLEY QUINN? Then you will super hate BIZARRO! Bizarro star of worstest comic ever! Go ahead and miss it! If there’s one thing this issue not have it these two things: Jimmy Olsen and Chupacabras!” Don’t miss the start of this six-issue all-ages miniseries!

DOOMED #1

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by JAVIER FERNANDEZ
1:25 Variant cover by KEN LASHLEY
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

In this startling new series, a Metropolis U student gains the power to transform into the monstrously powerful Doomsday! The power may be the key to fixing his life, but every time he transforms he risks getting stuck forever as Superman’s most heinous adversary! How far can he go before he’s doomed?

DR. FATE #1

Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art and cover by SONNY LIEW
1:25 Variant cover by IBRAHIM MOUSTAFA
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

You thought global warming was bad? Anubis, the Egyptian Lord of Dead, is preparing the flood to wash the world away. Standing in his way? An overwhelmed Brooklyn med student who’s been handed the helmet of Fate, without an instruction manual.

PREZ #1

Written by MARK RUSSELL
Art and cover by BEN CALDWELL
1:25 Variant cover by BRET BLEVINS
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $2.99 US • RATED T

Meet Beth Ross, the first teenaged President of the United States. In a nation where corporations can run for office, the poor are used as human billboards, and tacos are delivered by drone, our only hope is this nineteen-year-old Twitter sensation. But the real question isn’t whether she’s ready for politics – it’s whether politics is ready for her. Don’t miss the start of this new, 12-issue miniseries!

And of course

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #1

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DENIS MEDRI
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
1:25 Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

These brothers in arms face off against incredible odds while burning their way through the underbelly of the DC Universe – and it’s only a matter of time until they get gunned down in return!

Totally on board for Bat-mite, weary of Bizarro (I don't like Harley Quinn). Doomed and Dr. Fate have piqued my interest, they could be fantastic if well handled.

Ambivalent towards Prez and RH/Arsenal sounds perfect. Funny that Jason's new costume is so similar to his Arkham Knight's duds.

The link has other solicits for MM, JL3001, Omega Men and Damian, Son of Batman.

Omega Men solicit claims that they killed Kyle while Booster, BB and Hal are missing from JL3001's cover.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 11, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
June will bring new costumes for Superman and Wonder Woman

Batbunny still looks stupid

Superman looks too similar to 00s Kon. They should've kept the aspect from Future´s End.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy Crap, I'm gonna pick June's Gotham Academy

GOTHAM ACADEMY #7
Written by BECKY CLOONAN and BRENDEN FLETCHER
Art by MINGJUE HELEN CHEN
Cover by BECKY CLOONAN
THE JOKER Variant cover by CRAIG ROUSSEAU
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Special guest student Damian Wayne drops by the academy, and he is not pleased to meet his new classmates!

redbackground posted:

It looks like something from FLCL.

That's the idea, I guess.

Montoya is finally showing up

DETECTIVE COMICS #41
Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL and
BRIAN BUCCELLATO
Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
THE JOKER Variant cover by PATRICK GLEASON
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Following the events of “Endgame,” get ready to ride with the GCPD in a whole new city! Harvey Bullock is leading a Bat task force, but what are his duties, and can he be trusted? And what kind of welcome awaits his new partner, Renee Montoya?

Now I can buy the theories of Batbunny being Gordon.

GREEN LANTERN #41
Written by ROBERT VENDITTI
Art by BILLY TAN and MARK IRWIN
Cover by BILLY TAN
THE JOKER Variant cover by BEN OLIVER
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
“Renegade!” Beginning a new chapter in Hal Jordan’s life as he becomes the universe’s most wanted outlaw! And wait till you meet Hal’s new partner, Darlene. She’s definitely not what you’re expecting!

:cripes:

More solicits here and here

Worth noticing that Tim is missing from the TT cover, the Superboy depicted doesn't look like Kon and Bart is back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

Kon died in the second H'el thing, and was replaced by Superman's son from the future. It's bullshit.

They brought him back on the final issue of Superboy and he was a recurrent character on Supergirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Flash is also getting a new costume

Between this and Tynion's comments about taking away Constantine's trenchcoat, I guess everyone will get a new design for June.

• Locked thread