Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just for the record, since she won't be around Jason or Roy anymore and I mentioned before, I don't like Harley Quinn. I don't have the slightest interest on her book, specially since it seems will be similar in tone to how she was on the TT cartoon.

Yeah, but if you wanted to bring in new comics readers, especially female comics readers, that's pretty much exactly what you want to do.

This is how not to do that. (Warning: Shortpacked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

Maybe he can go be bffs with H'El and NuLobo and they can be "The characters nobody demanded". He'll get jealous that he's the only one in the trio that hasn't made out with Supergirl yet.

Lobdell's attempts to make H'El the new Bizarro before Editorial, of all things, told him "no way" is still one of my favorite stories of Nu52. Both because anyone turning down Lobdell is great, and it's also the one example of Editorial doing anything worthwhile since the reboot started.

They can have a crossover with Marvel and Silk plus whatever other of Hopeless' donut steels survived Arena/undercover.

Beefstew posted:

Conner and Palmiotti are going to save Starfire the same way they saved Power Girl back in the day. Really excited.

I genuinely hope some of their research is just binge-watching Teen Titans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Interview with Alisa Kwitney on Convergence:Batgirl

The one story I was most looking forward to is actually the one I'm least enthused by the interview. I mean, wheeling out the Steph & Tim relationship again? Seriously? They both moved on from that. Tim & Cass were clearly, if not actually getting together, moving in that direction in Gates of Gotham, hell Daimon Scott noted that tension back when he was doing art for their solo books. It feels like a regression of all three characters.

I get Steph is the headliner, but dammit could they maybe make the romance subplot something that's not revolving around the lead for once?

I'll still buy it, though.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 10, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

I think people read way too much into the Tim and Cass stuff in Gates of Gotham. I never got the impression that they were heading toward romance.

I was kind of hoping for more of a cool ensemble adventure and a little less "STEPH AND HER AMAZING FRIENDS," but I guess Steph is the one that headlines nowadays and Cass is the sidekick. It still sounds mostly good to me, and I just want to see these characters interact one last time.

Maybe you don't see it (after all it was mainly subtext), but Steph and Tim had closed off their own romantic relationship at roughly the same time.

And I suppose I'm slightly more sensitive on the Cass front since she still hasn't made a New 52 debut outside of an alternate future one-shot, so her getting marginalised is that much worse.

As for seeing them one last time...well, Gates of Gotham and The Lesson were good sendoffs for Cass/Tim & Steph respectively, so this had better be good. I'd rather they ended on a high note than gently caress it up with a godawful continuation (see also: Avengers Academy & everything that happened to them after their book ended, Spider-Girl in Spider-Verse).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't think of a particularly good thing Paul Levitz has written lately, but him getting a gig from a company that in 2015 has given writing gigs to veteran ciphers/shadows of their former selves like Scott Lobdell, Ron Marz, Frank Tieri, Tony Bedard, Larry Hama, Marv Wolfman, Ann Nocenti, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Len Wein, Adam Beechen, etc. seems utterly unsurprising.

And don't get me wrong, I like or even LOVE work by several of these writers, it's just that none of it has been produced in the 21st century. I have a hard time singling out Paul Levitz as the weird aberration here.

Actually has Adam Beechen written anything good? All I know him from is ruining Cassandra Cain (:argh:). A bunch of those others have at least historically done good work, but he seemed to vanish from the face of comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Did they ever establish why Tom Taylor stopped writing Injustice? Maybe this had something to do with it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

He got a Marvel contract.

Oh. I wonder if it worked the other way around then.

'Gone to work for the competition, eh? We'll show him! BURN IT DOWN!'

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, for gently caress's sake. 'The Love song of Stephanie Brown'? This is going to be full of Tim & Steph angst. I didn't sign up for that! I signed up for Steph being awesome & Tim being awesome & Cass being awesome.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm guessing that the voice in Ray's head is Ryan, having undergone some kind of Firestorm Fusion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

She does not.

I didn't really like it. There's some stuff I like, like an extended part where Cass and Steph are living together. But then there's a scene where Cass threatens to eat their pet hamster unless Steph beats her in a fight. Basically, Cass's characterization is what I'd expect from someone who admitted to reading one issue about her before writing the book.

Wait, what?

Still, I think that's still one issue more than Adam Beechen, I think.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

The issue she read, by the way, was the Red Robin one with Cass pretending to kill Tim. Not exactly the best issue to use, though Cass' characterization in it wasn't bad.

Anyways I got Question and Justice League and was happy with both. I talked to some friends who got the others and the consensus seems to be that the majority of all the books are just straight set-ups for the second issue. They tease, but don't do much past that. Question I think worked because it didn't tease much, it was just a solid issue about Renee and Harvey and the teasing comes at the tail end. Justice League, likewise, established their set-up toward the end and left the first two-thirds as character interaction.

Argh, she should have at least read Gates of Gotham.

Actually I'm kind of surprised there was nobody who had a Cassandra Cain story in its own right lined up (since apparently it was writers coming up with stories for this and not the other way around). But then I guess DiDio might have forbidden it because he has an irrational hatred of her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

From the way creative team interviews indicated, Didio and co. made up a list of characters they'd like to see star in Convergence stories and creative teams bid for who would get what. Certain characters/teams were straight up offered to creators right away (Rucka and Wolfman both said they were requested to write Question and New Teen Titans respectively) and others were allotted based on wants/needs.

Stephanie getting a book over Cassandra is not too surprising in that situation because Stephanie is the Pre-Flashpoint Batgirl and is undoubtedly more popular with fans.

I refuse to believe this. :colbert:

FilthyImp posted:

Yup, that's what I remember. I just hosed up the phrasing and made it sound stupid.

Whomever said Convergence was a Countdown:Arena knockff hit it square on the head. The way it was sold made it sound like they would get to close off plot threads in a last hurrah, then blip off to the Convergence event.

What I've read is instead 'we've been abducted from our homes and forced to live in a bubble city for a year, completely divorced from the settings and people that gave our stories context and meaning... Hey there's some random folks, let's punch them!'

Its very Kid Smashing Toys together. Mo wonder they called it the band-aid.

It really IS a take off of the '85 Secret Wars!

(although actually Secret Wars was awesome).

I wonder if Luthor's going to steal Telos' power at some point.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Semper Fudge posted:

I'm actually thinking it might be Batgirl that continues forward. Snyder was talking up the fact that DC has some plans for Cassandra Cain that are going to materialize very soon, and this seems strangely plausible.

Please god, don't have it by Alisa Kwitney. That book is so poo poo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Convergence trip report (spoiler tagged for folks in other time zones):

Batgirl:UGH. Was all about Steph & Tim whining about their relationship. It didn't read like any of the characters at all. The fact that this is where three of my favourite characters are probably taking their final bows is so aggravating. At least in their last appearances before this, they were written in-character. Flashpoint Catman gets points for realising 'Hey my universe pretty much sucks, it's probably better to take the fall so you guys can live'.
Titans:Yay, Lian's back! Plus Roy was clearly torn up about having to choose between her and his friends but they ultimately understood how important she was to him. Also Cyborg and Beast Boy as the calvary was awesome. Also the Titans are apparently showing up in Convergence #6?
Question:It's Rucka writing Renee, of course it's going to be good.
Nightwing & Oracle:I realise a woman in a wheelchair managing to smack the poo poo out of Hawkgirl isn't remotely believable, but I loved it. Not to mention surprise Canary.
Justice League:It was alright. I absolutely dug Mera just up and shanking Flashpoint Aquaman, though.
Speed Force:I absolutely loved it, especially Flash calling out Diana for being one of the worst versions of Diana ever.
Atom:Ryan's back! And he managed to not only save Ray but finally get back at Deathstroke for killing him in a pretty awesome manner.
Superman: I liked how Abin Sur decided to talk it out with Supes after the initial fight. Also baby Kent arriving safe and sound. Not see keen as Kal taking out his Flashpoint counterpart off-panel, I'd prefer Kal talked it out with him too.
Harley Quinn:She beat him with a poisoned carrot. That is all. Also, it sucks she had a nice life that got ruined-but that's par for the course for Harley I guess.

All in all, I liked most of the Pre-Flashpoint stories (except Batgirl, that one pisses me off). Are we sure we can't have it back?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Of all the convergence spinoff titles this week I only really liked JL and Speed Force. My favorite things they both have in common are The Flashpoint assholes getting some comeuppance. Also Fastback rules. He was basically just if Jay Garrick was around and the older experienced guy again. And also a cartoon turtle.

I wonder if the Flashpoint Arthur & Diana are going to kill each other now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

More the point how coul you not love Convergence:Batgirl, aka 'The Love Song of Stephanie Br-:barf:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

This book may be one of my biggest comic disappointments ever. Once I realized that the entire point of the story was just to get Tim and Steph back together, I gave up.

And please, when they bring Cass back, can whoever writes her do more than five minutes of research on the character.

Yeah, Cass felt like a real afterthought in that book. poo poo, everyone felt like an afterthought in that book (somehow). It's especially weird they went for the Tim/Steph angle since they'd kind of laid that to rest in the Batgirl/Red Robin crossover, and Snyder was apparently setting up Cass & Tim in Gates of Gotham.

This is easily the worst of the Pre-Flashpoint Convergence books. Seems like most of the others were written by guys who were passionate about who they were writing, while Kwitney only became a fan after doing her research (now say what you will about fanboy writers, considering these stories are meant to be clearly evocative of certain points in these characters' lives, getting people who were fans of those periods in to write these characters only makes sense), and even then she didn't have the whole picture (somehow she didn't read any book that had Cass & Steph interacting). It feels to me like they didn't have anybody with a vision for the characters and pushed this book out from a sense of obligation, more than anything.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 6, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

Holy hell people were not kidding about Convergence: Batgirl being a steaming pile. This is the worst thing to happen to Stephanie since War Games.

And the worst thing to happen to Cass since Adam Beechen.

And the worst thing to happen to Tim since Identity Crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...Convergence #8 came out.

I have no idea what happened.

Did they somehow undo Crisis on Infinite Earths? Are there still 52 Earths or are we still going full hypertime? Also what was the point of the old Earths coming back if it turns out that they got overwritten into new ones anyway?

• Locked thread