Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why the Red Hood/Arsenal book does not have some glorious, shameful stupid sub-title, like "No homo" or "Bros before hoes", holding out until the ads, eh? Stop going in a decent direction, DC!

It does not look that much promising, but I hope that DC is going to ease up on editorial control, maybe offer better contracts and the good authors would come back.

Interestingly, there are no ALL-STAR, LEGENDARY CREATOR type announces, it is going to hurt, surpsingly small amount of Geoff Johns also. A lot of old farts and Lobdell :barf:

Gene Luen Yang on Superman is out of nowhere, got to be interesting. The obvious direction would be some immigrant experience stories, but I am not sure if Yang would want to be "typecasted".

More Travel Foreman is good, he shared some work on the aborted arc of Justice League United on tumblr - http://zuerst.tumblr.com/post/110087457580/some-design-sketches-from-an-aborted-justice Not aborted anymore?

HELLBLAZER (yes!), Black Canary and Prez are going to be worth a look

Section Motherfucking Eight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ElNarez posted:

I dunno, I feel like Hitch doing a Justice League book is the Big Blockbuster Book announcement that's gonna sell by the truckload, but DC's thrown it in the middle of every other piece of news because I guess unlike Marvel they don't know how to milk announcements for all they're worth (which to be honest I'm thankful for).

If it was, like "GEOFF JOHNS AND BRIAN HITCH" or "WARREN ELLIS AND BRIAN HITCH" or "[BOOKS-WITHOUT-PICTURES WRITER] AND BRIAN HITCH", I would've believed it, but Hitch without a writer is not hot stuff, his Image book was a bland version of a Mark Millar pitch comic. Besides, everyone knows that he is not going to last past the first four issues.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was just reading the Doom Patrol omnibus and got to the issue where Robot-Man's body gains sentience and decides to live without being ruled by his human brain. The villainous brain-in-a-jar, The Brain and Monsieur Mallah, his ape companion then bust in and transplant The Brain into Robot-Man's body. Overcome , they declare love for each other and kiss. Robot-Man's body then blows up, committing suicide and Mallah's beret flies off and lands on Robot-Man's own brain in a jar. The end.

That might have been the best comic I'll ever read.

It is great, but I think that the Beard Hunter issue is the one true masterpiece.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

quote:

DiDio said that Prez reminds him of a title from his early days at DC, Kyle Baker’s Plastic Man. Which may not have lasted long but was a real creative high point.

And you still have not released the third collected volume of it you poo poo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If they can get gold-armed Arsenal wielding his dead cat as the 8th member, then maybe it'll be in the running for worst. Or best.

Sadly Ennis is probably out of the loop of contemporary superheroics, so he is not aware of all the shameful poo poo that happened in DC.
He has quite some experience writing gently caress-ups whose names begin with "arse"...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why the gently caress Arsenal still wears that dumbass baseball cap

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Not as silly and :black101: as the last time Simonson riffed on "Laughing Fish"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's currently mad that all the backups are shoved to the back of the book, but should I get the Simonson Orion omnibus they're putting out? I like all the Kirby Fourth World.
e: The original comics that is, not John Byrne's Jack Kirby's Fourth World. I haven't read any of that. Hopefully it's not required.

It is absolutely masterful for the first, what, six issues and then it is just a pretty Simonson/Workman comic.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It is entirely possible to do a homage to Killing Joke without being creepy as gently caress

Good call on Albuquerque and the Batgirl creative team, it is quite warming that the creators understand the concerns and react accordingly.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Better analogy would be Tarantula and Dick Grayson

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Way better to free the character from the stigma of being an eternal victim.
DC has done way too many stories exploiting psychological trauma, abuse, body mutilation, sexual assault - to the point that it became one of the prime subjects of mockery, especially when Geoff Johns tried to criticize the tendencies by revelling in them. In my opinion, DC writers are better off exercising their freedom of expression in more dignified and safe ways

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

JLΔ

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cry for Justice/Rise of Arsenal are the best comedy books DC has ever published

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Isn't Harley Quinn the DC Deadpool now

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

I just read Green Lantern: Rebirth for the first time. I know people have said that Geoff Johns has a hard-on for Hal Jordon, but Jesus, this poo poo was like some fan fiction writer jizzed all over the pages, especially at the end.

"AND THEN HAL JORDAN PUNCHES BATMAN IN THE FACE, GIVES HIM THE FINGER AND WALKS OFF LIKE A BADASS!!!!"

Should I even continue with this run if I didn't like rebirth? (I was also not a fan of the art. At the beginning of issue one, I wasn't sure if I was looking at Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner...)

Just read Sinestro Corps War, it is the only good part.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Not drawn by Miller/Varley, co-loving-written with DC staffers, movie tie-in - not real Dark Knight.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are they not supposed to make new Batman comics in the next two years?

The announcement could easily have said "See the epic conclusion to the inspiration for the upcoming mega blockbuster BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE." I'm sure it's nice to have in the lead-up to the movie, but they're not clearly capitalizing on that yet.

I wish the art was Frank's. He's probably too dying to do it, but just picture if the progression carried on from DKR to DRK2 and DKR3's art was just unintelligible garish abstraction.

The teaser shows the bloody Supernan symbol and it seems that Frank is going to put Batman and Superman against each other for no reason (where can you possibly go after Kryptonite Hulk Hands?)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fcbd divergence:
Ha, I called Batman being reborn as the New God the last time he died, when the Morrison super-speculation was in full force.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 4, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

no wonder the screen is scratched and broken, look at those sharp fingers

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

To be honest, in the Superman/Batman preview he is wrapping his cape over the knuckles and drives a bike into Robatman's face :krad:
But i find it genuinely funny and amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Constantine is a bit too much of a "HERE IS OUR NEW DIRECTION THAT IS OLD BUT IN TRENDY CLOTHES OKAY", but I am interested in the ongoing, hope for more bastard Constantine.

Black Canary is amazing.

• Locked thread