Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, there is a switch for 0.5 and 0.8. Phone posting, so I don't have the reddit URL handy. Though Elite runs on SteamVR/OpenVR now and people claim it performs excellent. I thought iRacing was also updated.

Supposedly the windows 10 November update broke the switch, though I haven't noticed and use it for Assetto Corsa & Alien, all the time.

Now if only the shadows and performance were better in project cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Yes, there is a switch for 0.5 and 0.8. Phone posting, so I don't have the reddit URL handy. Though Elite runs on SteamVR/OpenVR now and people claim it performs excellent. I thought iRacing was also updated.

Supposedly the windows 10 November update broke the switch, though I haven't noticed and use it for Assetto Corsa & Alien, all the time.

Now if only the shadows and performance were better in project cars.

Yeah, that's where I'm stuck - I installed the switch, but had to uninstall the Oculus display driver to get 0.6 to work, so switching back to 0.8 doesn't work.

Never got SteamVR working for Elite (and Horizons doesn't even seem to run through Steam to begin with), and iRacing is still stuck on 0.6 for at least the next couple months.

That's a shame, though not unexpected; I suppose I could just dual boot into a separate Windows install if I really get the itch.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Sometimes Project Cars is neat and cool, and other times its

:shepicide:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Defensive driving, as in staying in the back for the first corner, almost never rewards, either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But if you do that you can at least actually race.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's unrewarding in terms of placing at the end of the race, it's highly rewarding in being able to race!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been perusing the PCARS2 forums for a change. I signed up a while ago and never done anything with the account. They're working on additional tire tech that deals with transitions around the peak grip point and also loose terrain, dynamic track surfaces physics that seems relatively high res (demo looked like something like square foot resolution), some sort of dynamic meshing for the apparently upcoming rally stuff (dirt and snow tracks), and apparently a whole new drivetrain system is coming with proper diff simulation.

Seems like all PCARS1 tracks are in the development builds, cars however not. Probably all this licensing bullshit.

--edit: :words:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Another payout from PCARS1! Put 100€ in, got 210€ out of it. Would do again. :D

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Yup, another 10 euros here. That's paid for the game and then some...

Are they going to keep doing this for a while?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hopefully. I won't complain about more free money. I just figure out what the hell I signed up for in PCARS2, because they didn't have 1000€ tiers and such, IIRC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

gently caress I had changed my paypal email from an old one to my current gmail one and forgot to update it on the website.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently SMS got licenses for these for PCARS2:

- Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
- Lamborghini Huracan GT3
- Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4
- Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo LP620-2
- Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
- Lamborghini Veneno LP750-4

I think they're trying to get Ferrari on board, too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's great news.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Well. The Indy dlc and another stock car are out today. Still no ovals.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

Well. The Indy dlc and another stock car are out today. Still no ovals.
"Coming soon"

Comes out 10 months after release, still incomplete.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hnngh. God I love the C7.R. This alone made the DLC worth it :flashfap:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

bUm posted:

"Coming soon"

Comes out 10 months after release, still incomplete.

They were in the pre-release as well...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Mootallica posted:

They were in the pre-release as well...
Licensing issues.

I really want to race again, anyone interested in getting back into regular racing?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that there are probably perfectly valid reasons behind it. Hell, the money received from being a backer has given me the game free and still have enough left over for the DLC.

I'm just looking at it from the petty point of view that "I have driven an Oval track in Project Cars which they removed and want to sell it back to me as DLC" along with a few other cars/tracks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Didn't they have Indianapolis licenced? I remember that being the now legendary blog post that they'd licenced the DW12 Indycar, all the 2015 season liveries and Indianapolis to go together in an Indy 500 DLC pack.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Falken posted:

Licensing issues.

I really want to race again, anyone interested in getting back into regular racing?

I would be, recently grabbed a bunch of the car/track DLCs

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

goddamn this game is pretty

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to get into this game after not playing it for months, and I'm realizing why I only put 10 hours into it before. It's too drat hard. Even with all assists on cars spin out non-stop. There's nothing fun about coming fully onto a straight after a turn exit and spinning out unless you feather the throttle despite not touching the steering. That completely ruins that feeling of attacking the track, and just brings sheer terror that you're always right on the verge of spinning out. You're racing against the car, not against the AI or the track. I just can't find a way to enjoy driving. If you like the difficulty of it, that's all well and good, but it's really dumb that you can set L3 to be the throttle if you want, but you can't adjust the strength of ABS or traction control whatsoever. And the whole "this is a for real simulation that you MUST take 100% seriously" options style comes off as pretty silly with how mario kart car physics are. I even had a car pass through mine in a kart race, which you won't even see in races in GTA. I might get it later on PC where I can mod that stuff to customize it more how I want, but it's just an exercise in futility on the console. Shame because the rpg style career mode is nearly perfect. If I could enjoy racing I'd play the poo poo out of it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have some bad news for you if you think the PC version is that moddable.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

I have some bad news for you if you think the PC version is that moddable.

Is there no database editor? I modded an old F1 game a while ago to make assists stronger, and it was really quick and easy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Is there no database editor? I modded an old F1 game a while ago to make assists stronger, and it was really quick and easy.

Not that I know of, the game is locked down pretty tight as far as modding goes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
well piss

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This game has a lot of ini file style editing you can do.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Shame because the rpg style career mode is nearly perfect.

What? My Project CARS career consists of putting me in series of races that I don't have any control over. In fact it's the flat career mode that's turned me away from the game sim. Are we playing the same game?

I want an RPG style racing career game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AnimalChin posted:

What? My Project CARS career consists of putting me in series of races that I don't have any control over. In fact it's the flat career mode that's turned me away from the game sim. Are we playing the same game?

I want an RPG style racing career game.

idk, i've never finished a season. are contract offers that broken? best one i've found btw is f1 2010. it aged pretty well, although the leveling scale is way too steep. easy to mod that though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah something about the career mode in this game put me off. I'm not really sure why exactly, it just feels super tacked on and boring in a way that games like Gran Turismo don't. Probably because the latter locks vehicles away and gives you a sense of progression when you get new cars.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Goetta posted:

Yeah something about the career mode in this game put me off. I'm not really sure why exactly, it just feels super tacked on and boring in a way that games like Gran Turismo don't. Probably because the latter locks vehicles away and gives you a sense of progression when you get new cars.

Gran Turismos and Forzas spoiled me with their career progression. You get lots of choices for which car(s) you want to run in which series. Project CARS feels like "OK now you race this car a few times and you can't upgrade it or paint it or anything we hope you like it."

I got real bored real fast.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got about 150 hours into Project Cars. PCARS most glaring issue is the completely inconsistent gamepad controls. On one car, it's fine. Jump to another and it's a mess.

What Volkerball is describing isn't an issue with the underlying physics system, but the gamepad settings. The overly twitch nature has some cars swapping ends awful fast because of how quick crossover steering is. Basically every turn is a Scandinavian flick in the sense of a drastic lateral weight shift.

Forza has a very good series of gamepad assists that dampen out much of that poo poo.

Volkerball, try cranking the steering sensitivity up to 60-80 and control filtering to 70.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the best config for a 360 controller right now?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got my settings posted in this thread. Check my history.

Also, play with the steering sensitivity. Setting it too low creates a very binary and startling steering feel. Try it at 50 and slide it up or down to your preference.

Another thing I've picked up on is that the cars like the GT3 class seem to respond better with left foot braking.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Trying to get into this game after not playing it for months, and I'm realizing why I only put 10 hours into it before. It's too drat hard. Even with all assists on cars spin out non-stop. There's nothing fun about coming fully onto a straight after a turn exit and spinning out unless you feather the throttle despite not touching the steering.
SMS finally admitted on the PCARS2 forums that this snap oversteer and other tire physics oddities stem from the lovely Hail Mary-type differential "simulation" in the game. Luckily their physics dude, who wrote the realtime quasi-FEM tire model, is working on a proper differential simulation (all the different types, apparently going with the brute force approach for better simulation accuracy). For PCARS2 only, however.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lovely

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

idk, i've never finished a season. are contract offers that broken? best one i've found btw is f1 2010. it aged pretty well, although the leveling scale is way too steep. easy to mod that though.

They are broken. I had to step back to junior formulas after winning the LMP1 championship 3 times in a row to climb the formula ladder.

The controller stuff was fine after I found decent settings, though I was still never able to get those 125cc karts to turn. I'd like PCARS2 to have stock setups that aren't utter garbage, and for rumble strips to not automatically induce spins.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've got about 150 hours into Project Cars. PCARS most glaring issue is the completely inconsistent gamepad controls. On one car, it's fine. Jump to another and it's a mess.

What Volkerball is describing isn't an issue with the underlying physics system, but the gamepad settings. The overly twitch nature has some cars swapping ends awful fast because of how quick crossover steering is. Basically every turn is a Scandinavian flick in the sense of a drastic lateral weight shift.

Forza has a very good series of gamepad assists that dampen out much of that poo poo.

Volkerball, try cranking the steering sensitivity up to 60-80 and control filtering to 70.

This is exactly what made me stop playing altogether, I spent more time unsucessfuly trying to get the steering to feel right than actualy racing. It didnt help that the controls menu had no explanation on what anything did and felt like the game catering to ultrasimspergs. Plus the fact that you had to back all the way out of a race and go back into the settings menu made it incredibly tedious.

I kinda assumed that because the game was getting a console release that it would have decent controller support, infact I recomended it to a friend whos pretty handy behind the wheel irl. He couldnt get on with the controls either playing on xbox. Maybe if I ever have the space for a wheel setup I can go back to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

track day bro! posted:

This is exactly what made me stop playing altogether, I spent more time unsucessfuly trying to get the steering to feel right than actualy racing. It didnt help that the controls menu had no explanation on what anything did and felt like the game catering to ultrasimspergs. Plus the fact that you had to back all the way out of a race and go back into the settings menu made it incredibly tedious.

I kinda assumed that because the game was getting a console release that it would have decent controller support, infact I recomended it to a friend whos pretty handy behind the wheel irl. He couldnt get on with the controls either playing on xbox. Maybe if I ever have the space for a wheel setup I can go back to the game.

It is a lot better with a wheel. It's more fun and feels really good to drive. Unfortunately the other elements of the game (abysmal car selection, terrible career mode) keep it down.

I really tried to like PCars but it just tried everything it could do to make me hate it.

• Locked thread