Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The Audi IMSA 90 is completely bonkers and I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Which of the FFB settings do I need to change so that the 300SL doesn't put about 700 tons of weight on the front tires when I break turning my wheel into an object unmoveable even by god himself? I though it had to be longitudal (Fx), but that doesn't work. In fact, the only thing that seems to work is turning the whole FFB down to nothing.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Cross posted in the PC Sim thread:

Just finished the Caterham series in and man those are fun. The game has so much wrong with it, but when you can finally get to the actual driving bit it's really exciting. The main menu and general UI are infuriating.

The car is a bit of a handful. It is quite finnicky indeed. Any more than ~5 degrees of slip and it's just gone, but if you can get it just a little bit tail happy and keep it under the threshold it's a real hoot to drive. Slow and easy and just a tiny bit drifty. Plus the game is *gorgeous* and the last race was at a really fun track (Snetterton?) at sunset.

Next up was a Ford Focus race in the rain a dark and fog at Sonoma and it felt like a Mad Max Murderthon.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
That Focus race in the rain was such a bitch. I've found driving FWD and AWD cars is a pain. The understeer can be difficult to manage.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Gonna get back in to this now that I have time. Is there anything I can do to stop cars from hitting walls when entering/exiting the pit on autodrive? I see it's still a thing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EDIT: fuckit, not doing anything like that until I can get my wheel set up, my hands cramped just during the practice session.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I cannot seem to figure out how to get my control scheme how I want it. I have a logitech racing wheel with h-shifter and pedals. I basically want it to control like a normal shifting car would, with clutch being necessary to properly shift.

For whatever reason if my car is in neutral and I shift without using clutch, my engine stalls, just fine like how I would like it. But once I am in first gear, I can shift willy nilly, up or down, skip gears, not match rpm's etc, and just completely forgo the clutch and the game doesn't seem to mind. Also it still thinks I would want flappy paddle shifting enabled which I don't (But worst case I guess I can unbind those).

I have automatic clutch set to Off so I am not sure what else I could do to make the game actually care about the clutch...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So I cannot seem to figure out how to get my control scheme how I want it. I have a logitech racing wheel with h-shifter and pedals. I basically want it to control like a normal shifting car would, with clutch being necessary to properly shift.

For whatever reason if my car is in neutral and I shift without using clutch, my engine stalls, just fine like how I would like it. But once I am in first gear, I can shift willy nilly, up or down, skip gears, not match rpm's etc, and just completely forgo the clutch and the game doesn't seem to mind. Also it still thinks I would want flappy paddle shifting enabled which I don't (But worst case I guess I can unbind those).

I have automatic clutch set to Off so I am not sure what else I could do to make the game actually care about the clutch...

Is this a car that actually has a stick/clutch?
For instance, the McLaren P1 has paddle shifters and doesn't use a clutch, you can use the H-shifter to drop it into the gear you want without a clutch as well. Where as something like the Lotus 49 is a stick shift with clutch and won't work without the clutch, even if you use the paddles to do the shifting. Some cars like the Ford GT40 will let you downshift without a clutch also.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Phuzun posted:

Is this a car that actually has a stick/clutch?
For instance, the McLaren P1 has paddle shifters and doesn't use a clutch, you can use the H-shifter to drop it into the gear you want without a clutch as well. Where as something like the Lotus 49 is a stick shift with clutch and won't work without the clutch, even if you use the paddles to do the shifting. Some cars like the Ford GT40 will let you downshift without a clutch also.

I hadn't considered this. I was driving one of the BMW's I can't remember which. I guess I will have to take a closer look at stuff.

Edit: Where does it list this, I am looking all all the cars I can select and I see info for year, engine type, drive type, speed, hp, accel, braking etc but no stats for transmission scheme.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 8, 2015

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GhostDog posted:

Which of the FFB settings do I need to change so that the 300SL doesn't put about 700 tons of weight on the front tires when I break turning my wheel into an object unmoveable even by god himself? I though it had to be longitudal (Fx), but that doesn't work. In fact, the only thing that seems to work is turning the whole FFB down to nothing.
Use the Force Curve Modifier program to test your wheel and tell you what values to set. It'll ensure that you get a relatively linear force progression from 0-100%.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

New patch out today with a number of fixes:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40580-Project-CARS-PC-Patch-5-0-Release-Notes

Also some new textures shows up in my steam folder for pcars; Looks like an evo 6, evo 9, scion fr-s, toyota gt86, and even a modified rocketbunny fr-s are in our future for dlc this month. I guess they've been teasing some of these cars on social media and someone on their forums put together a list of what's being added. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38467-Upcoming-DLC-Tease-from-SMS-and-Speculation-from-Old-Announcement-(Spoiler)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just the other day I was saying how this was the anti-Gran Turismo due to its glaring lack of :japan: cars. Guess that's changing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm torn on the teaser stuff shown / listed. Mad Mike's RADBUL and the various old Lotuses and FR-S variants are rad, but do we really need a Ford Fusion stock car? Can't say I've really seen anyone clamoring for that :v:

I'll keep holding out hope for more stuff like the classic Mustang they released in the Old vs New DLC. Also, the Scottish track looks awesome. gently caress Hockenheim though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

T1g4h posted:

do we really need a Ford Fusion stock car? Can't say I've really seen anyone clamoring for that :v:
If they add more than just Indianapolis for "oval" tracks*, then it might not hurt to have an actual modern stock car (vs. the generic 1990 one we have) for people interested in doing a PCars version of NASCAR (probably awful outside online because their AI will probably only use a single line; but it's kind of an open place in current sim racing given NASCAR Racing 2003 was the last simulation-y NASCAR game). :shrug:

On a related front of upcoming content: is Indy considered base content that didn't make release or is it going to be a DLC/expansion? I'd figure the former based on the "Coming Soon" taunt on the career selection menu, but also wouldn't be surprised by the latter.

* Daytona seems an obvious addition at some point since it has both oval and non-oval variants as well as being a famous track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

If they add more than just Indianapolis for "oval" tracks*, then it might not hurt to have an actual modern stock car (vs. the generic 1990 one we have) for people interested in doing a PCars version of NASCAR (probably awful outside online because their AI will probably only use a single line; but it's kind of an open place in current sim racing given NASCAR Racing 2003 was the last simulation-y NASCAR game). :shrug:

On a related front of upcoming content: is Indy considered base content that didn't make release or is it going to be a DLC/expansion? I'd figure the former based on the "Coming Soon" taunt on the career selection menu, but also wouldn't be surprised by the latter.

* Daytona seems an obvious addition at some point since it has both oval and non-oval variants as well as being a famous track.

The eternal blog post saying they'd licenced Indy said it would be free, but god knows what's happening now. As for potentially having a Sprint Cup car in there, Nascar does do races at Sonoma and Watkins Glen so if nothing else they can race there. Stock cars in general are pretty fun on most road courses anyway. I also wouldn't say oval racing is an open goal in sim terms, since really anyone who wants to do oval racing in a sim does it in iRacing at this point. Though I did find Nascar 2003 recently and that game has been modded so heavily to improve its graphics and add modern series' like Indycar and Nascar Trucks that I think it'd be hard to get the die hards still playing that to go to a different sim for offline ovals.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Wasn't the stock car in the early access/pre release builds and they took it out? I vaguely remember there being more than one Oval track as well, as well as a bunch of Historical tracks (Hockenheim, Monza and I think Spa?)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Mootallica posted:

Wasn't the stock car in the early access/pre release builds and they took it out? I vaguely remember there being more than one Oval track as well, as well as a bunch of Historical tracks (Hockenheim, Monza and I think Spa?)

You're exactly right. It was in the alpha/beta and there were 3 or 4, maybe or oval tracks.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Get your dori dori on with the new DLC, the JDM car pack. Seems that SMS hopes for success by taking a leaf from Gran Turismo's book: include five of the same drat car. In this case, it's the internet's favourite argument-starter – the Toyobaru 86.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41418-Project-CARS-Japanese-Cars-Expansion-%96-Content-Overview

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hello Spaceman posted:

Get your dori dori on with the new DLC, the JDM car pack. Seems that SMS hopes for success by taking a leaf from Gran Turismo's book: include five of the same drat car. In this case, it's the internet's favourite argument-starter – the Toyobaru 86.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41418-Project-CARS-Japanese-Cars-Expansion-%96-Content-Overview

Say what you will, it's worth it to me for the Tommi Makinen Evo and the two Rocket Bunny 86's :h:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Still no indy or oval dlc. Neat.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Norns posted:

Still no indy or oval dlc. Neat.

Please let this happen soon :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, the new Rocket Bunny FR-S is absolutely mental. I don't know how many of you care about or are interested in drifting, but that little car is a tail happy monster. Definitely gonna take some practice to handle it, but the default setup with no tweaking lets it go absolutely nuts and it slides out real easily under braking and acceleration. It has no problems kicking the back tires sideways even on straightaways with me barely giving it any throttle :getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is this game playably fun on the XBox One with the controller instead of a wheel now? I remember when it first came out the impulse triggers were not working, and if you had force feedback on then the controller was really wonky. Have those issues been ironed out?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just now realized the free cars that have been coming out, are not apart of the DLC packs. I have not claimed any of the free stuff on PS4 until just now because I thought I had it already.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Rocket Bunny GT-86 is a fun little ride.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
From some quick Googling, it seems the answer to this question is "No," but I thought I'd ask anyway. Does PCars support leagues, similar to Dirt Rally?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Patch 6 is out with some nice things:

quote:

* NEW – Host kick function. The host of an online game can now select to immediately kick a player from the server. Kicked players will be auto-kicked if they attempt to rejoin the same multiplayer session.
* NEW – Mandatory pit stop option. The Lobby admin can opt to force a single pitstop during any race.
* NEW – Option to set race length by time (also available in Quick Race).
* NEW – ‘Allow Ghosted Vehicles’ option added so that the lobby admin can decide if he wants vehicles ghosted or not when they drive the wrong way.
* NEW – Dynamic race-end timer feature. In public races, the timer is 50% of the slowest moving car's lap time. In private races, the timer is 75% of slowest moving car's lap time.
* Fixed an exploit where a player could be awarded a win by jumping the start.
* Fixed an issue where, if the host is forcing realistic driving assists, the player wasn’t able to toggle the allowed assists on or off while in-race.
* Fixed a game crash issue if the client is kicked while typing in the chat box.
* Fixed an issue where, if Forced Default Setup is used, the pit crew would not change tyres until they’re completely worn. The tyres will now be changed when at least one tyre is worn down by 25% or more.

Career
* Fixed a bug where drivers in a simulated series can all end up with ‘INVALID NAME!’
* Fixed a bug where AI opponents would attempt to use DLC cars that are not installed.
* The player will no longer be offered a contract renewal for a DLC contract, if they've since uninstalled that DLC.
* DLC Career contract emails earned while a DLC was installed, are no longer shown if DLC is then uninstalled.
* If the player’s current contract is a DLC contract and the player uninstalls this DLC, the career season using this DLC contract will finish for the player when entering Dashboard and they will have to pick from valid contract offers to continue (or reinstall the uninstalled DLC).
* Fixed an issue where the Modified Cars Pack and Limited Edition DLC Invitationals and Accolades were visible for players who do not own these DLC packs. Entering these invitational events would cause the player and AI to be in non-matching vehicles.
* Fixed an issue where at times the pit crew wouldn’t change the tyre set to the one selected in pit-strategy.

Controls
* Fixed an issue where remapping KERS would stop it working.
* Fixed an issue where changes made to Gamepad Advanced Options were not saved.
* Added Thrustmaster T150 support.

Tracks
* Zolder – fixed a potential ‘landmine’ issue.
* Le Mans – adjusted the 55th garage spot to correct an issue where the cars would hit the pit wall on exiting this spot.
* Donington – all layouts – fixed an issue where cars would make contact with the left side wall when exiting some garages.
* Road America – pre-race camera tweaked to prevent the camera from clipping with the ground.
* Ruapuna Park – all layouts – fixed an issue with the last garage spot being outside garage area.
* Mojave – all layouts – fixed an issue with floating tyre skid marks, fixed an issue with rain being visible inside tunnels, and placed visible barriers in areas where the player is not allowed to drive.

Vehicles
* Bentley Continental GT3 – fixed DLC livery windscreen banners.
* Ruf CTR3 SMS-R – increased default tire pressure to work better with tire warmers.
* Toyota GT86 Rocket Bunny – fixed an issue with the windscreen banner.

Physics & AI
* AI – improved awareness and look-ahead to help with situations in multi-class races, where AI in a fast car would fail to avoid the player and AI in much slower cars.
* Tyre updates – fixed an issue on several tyres to prevent FFB buzz when tread becomes worn very thin, re-calibrated most tyres for a carcass heating fix when the tyres are underinflated, adjusted wear rates on GT3, Group C, Trans-Am/GTO, DTM, and LMP rubber.
* Implemented support to remove detached wheels from the track after a certain amount of time.

GUI & HUD
* Vehicle selection – manufacturer page now orders icons alphabetically.
* Improved the French translations for some of the items in the vehicle setup screens.
* Minor updates to Career Dashboard – motorsports & DN Profile buttons are now tiles consistent with other tabs, Inbox is now full screen with clearer indication of highlighted mail, and initial Accept Contract Offer screen now has improved layout and clearer indication of signature button.
* Improved Race Central screen – better balanced background image, removed gradient in top-right corner.
* Track layout map images are now displayed on the quick track selection screens.
* Fixed an issue where ‘Invert Camera Y Axis’ text was being displayed as ‘Automatic Clutch’.
* Updated the Xbox One controller image to the new Elite Controller.
* Fixed an issue where the UI stops responding on ghost selection when player enters the My Garage option.

General
* Fixed an issue during pit stops where the pit crew mistakes ratio was too high.
* Driver name tags above cars can now be turned on for replays.
* Entering the pits during a Time Trial will now invalidate that lap’s time.
* Improved Helmet view exposure for historic drivers.

Oculus Rift
This update is primarily to improve the HUD position/rotation/scaling editor and the custom VR settings system.
* All movement and rotation is now relative to the HUD’s local axis instead of world axis.
* The HUD controls are now all located on the numeric keypad. Toggling between position and rotation modes are done by pressing the NUM-0 key.
* HUD movement speeds are now reduced and we added controls for slow scale control. The movement speed will now also accelerate if you press and hold a key, limited to maximum 10x speed.
* The movement amount per click of the HUD editing controls for placement and rotation are now scaled when you scale the HUD size up or down. This helps a lot as it gives much finer controls when positioning/rotating while the HUD is scaled down.
* Changes to the HUD position/rotation/scale will now only be saved when you confirm to save the edited HUD settings; otherwise it restores the previous settings.

New and improved Oculus HUD movement keys layout

The HUD adjustment now runs in one of two modes - movement and rotation / scale. Num-Pad 0 toggles between these modes.

In movement mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
4 & 6: move left and right
1 & 3: move left and right slowly
8 & 2: move up and down
7 & 9: move up and down slowly
+ & -: move back and forth
/ & *: move back and forth slowly
5: resets position to the default

In rotation / scale mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
4 & 6: rotate left and right
8 & 2: rotate up and down
1 & 3: rotate anti-clockwise / clockwise
+ & -: scale the HUD bigger and smaller
/ & *: scale the HUD bigger and smaller slowly
5: resets rotation and scale to the default

Custom VR settings system
This file is located in your ‘My Documents\Project CARS’ folder, and is called ‘oculussettings.xml’
There are entries to control the position, rotation and scale for each of the following:
* HUD (HUDSettings)
* Main Menus (FrontEndSettings)
* In-game Menus (InGameSettings)
The format for each is identical and the data can be copied between them. While we currently only allow you to edit the HUD in-game using the system documented above, you can freely copy the saved values to the entries for the front-end and in-game menus settings, and these will then also appear at the repositioned placement/rotation/scale settings.
FYI – the rotation part is a quaternion, if anyone wants to try and make sense of it (the names are intuitive, offsetX offsetY, offsetZ, scale, and rotation[WXYZ]).
The other 3 entries are:
* FullScreen – sets the full screen mirror mode. Default is ‘true’. Set to ‘false’ to disable full screen mirror mode.
* HideCrowds – used to hide crowds (performance gain). Default is ‘true’. Set to ‘false’ to enable crowds again.
* LimitCars – not yet used, future addition

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Eyud posted:

Patch 6 is out with some nice things:

quote:

* NEW – Option to set race length by time (also available in Quick Race).

loving finally, this should have been in on day loving one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's a great patch

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
2 Hours of Goon Mans, coming soon to a pCars server near you.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Looks like investors are getting another payment sent out on the 7th of December. Awesome.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tehsid posted:

Looks like investors are getting another payment sent out on the 7th of December. Awesome.

Just got it, I guess it's roughly half of what the last payment was. I got the e-mail but couldn't be arsed to find my username/password to log in to their forums. :v:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I picked this up again.

It does have it's problems, but the driving is really excellent for the most part. The AI is dumb as two bricks, your success in the karting championships is directly proportionate to how much of an arse-nugget the AI feels like being on a race-by-race basis, it's buggy and the menus explain bugger all.

But when you put your foot down? It's pretty glorious.

Has anybody EVER managed to get the Mclaren F1 Road Car around a circuit in anger? The moment I put my foot down with that thing, if there's the SLIGHTEST bump in the road, it lifts off too far and the car just spins. It's fast as all poo poo, but I can't keep it on the track!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I still need to try the F1. Apparently it's in the same class as the 2015 Mustang GT, which seems mildly unfair.

Also, good news on the DLC front! This month the free car is the Falcon V8 Supercar, and the paid pack has that awesome Scottish road course SMS has been teasing us with, plus Mad Mike's 26b quad rotor Miata drift car :flashfap:

E: Also, holy poo poo the F1 is definitely a handful. I think i've got it figured out though, you just have to make use of its twitchy nature and use braking + liftoff oversteer to whip it through corners. It's hilariously fun to nail an apex while powersliding the entire time :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 20, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

H13 posted:

So I picked this up again.

It does have it's problems, but the driving is really excellent for the most part. The AI is dumb as two bricks, your success in the karting championships is directly proportionate to how much of an arse-nugget the AI feels like being on a race-by-race basis, it's buggy and the menus explain bugger all.

But when you put your foot down? It's pretty glorious.

Has anybody EVER managed to get the Mclaren F1 Road Car around a circuit in anger? The moment I put my foot down with that thing, if there's the SLIGHTEST bump in the road, it lifts off too far and the car just spins. It's fast as all poo poo, but I can't keep it on the track!

It's a bastard to control. It's one of those cars you need a lot of practice with, and just need to start slow and slowly build up speed until you know where your limits are.

They patched it to be more controllable a while back, too.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

Also, good news on the DLC front! This month the free car is the Falcon V8 Supercar, and the paid pack has that awesome Scottish road course SMS has been teasing us with, plus Mad Mike's 26b quad rotor Miata drift car :flashfap:

Wait. How do you get those free cars? Are they downloaded automagically?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

H13 posted:

Wait. How do you get those free cars? Are they downloaded automagically?

Yeah, they come with the big rear end 1 - 2GB patches that the game downloads around DLC release time. I think this one is supposed to release the 26th of this month from what i've been reading. It's gonna be the Stance Works track expansion or something like that.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Patch 8.0 came out today, so the new stuff is probably already downloaded but yeah it'll be out on the 26th.

The patch also seems to have fixed the tire heating issue, I did a few races today and didn't have any problem keeping them warm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big-rear end patches, which is why the DLC packs are "only" 1.1 mb or so on PS4. that whole setup is probably the best for multiplayer (means there are no missing assets if you play online against somebody with all the DLC and you haven't purchased it yourself).

and ugh, the F1 is such a wonderful street car and after messing around with race cars doing free practice sessions I just don't want to go forward with the race I have in it. And adding to it that Zolder is not a great track for the F1, either. Ugh. 30 minutes of soft, squishy rocketship racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm assuming there's no command line switch to use the old 0.6 Rift runtime instead of 0.8, is there?

Need to keep it at 0.6 for Elite and iRacing, but I miss pretty day-night cycles :(

• Locked thread