Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It sounds like it was the publisher's decision this time, and not based on any issues the development. Probably just some sort of scheduling thing or avoiding releasing at the same time as something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Mootallica posted:

Pretty sure the gold release - or at least something very close to it - is on Steam now as well. 11.8GB "patch".

Yeah it looks like the version on Steam now is basically the release version. I played it for a couple hours and still saw a few glitches, mainly minor UI problems and AI cars sometimes having trouble using the pit lane. I hope the online play ends up being decent.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Norns posted:

I heard something about a snow track a while back, did that get cut?

And I assume that Indy and stock car stuff I've heard about is going to be dlc?

There was a point to point track in snowy mountains in development. I don't think it past early concepts, but it caused a big freakout because a portion of the backers believed that snow should only exist in arcade games and snow became sort of a joke on the development forums

Oval racing got moved to a future DLC, there were some WIP ovals in the game at one point but I think all that's in the release version is a road course configuration of a 90s stock car.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

RFactor 2 and iRacing both do, other than the whole murdering pit crew part... But that might possibly be a future update if they can do it with minimal system resources.

You could drive through the pit and toggle the speed limiter in GT Legends as well. And maybe the rest of the Simbin games. The only racing sim I can remember letting you kill people was Richard Burns Rally where it reds out the screen if you hit the spectators and you get penalized or DQ'd.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I've been pretty happy with how the AI turned out, I'm still seeing some traffic jams at race starts with large grids, but once the races get going I've managed to squeeze through packs of AI cars like this without anything worse than occasional nudges.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I really like the AI the AI slider was a brilliant idea. They behave about the same at all levels but are more competent at racing the higher it is. So if it's at 20% ai they will still race you hard provided you can't race for poo poo and are as slow as they are. I find 50-60% to be the sweet spot for me. 70+ they typically are much better racers than me and I get my rear end kicked. 60% get's me a good race as long as I am putting in good clean laps. The AI will do good laps and overtake you when they can. At the start of races it can get kinda crowded and you might get some bumping into each other. But after maybe half a lap things get real good once the pack spreads out a bit. You can even race in close quarters against them and they will behave well.

I don't know the exact details, but the AI strength is also adjusted based on the series you're running, and maybe based on what class you're racing in. So when you move from a regional to a worldwide championship, for instance, the AI racers will get slightly faster.

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait to finally play Project CARS tomorrow morning. How's it been following this game's development for over four years?

I remember paying 5 euro to access the alpha builds (and then upgrading to the full game) with the expectation that the game would be sort of like the initial release of Assetto Corsa, but with the helmet cam system from Shift 2. I'm pretty sure the original proposal was bigger than that but I didn't really expect a crowdfunded game to have 70+ cars, a multiplatform release, or a large career mode. I'm interested to see what the reception is like from people who are just hearing about it and probably have higher expectations.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I don't like how floppy the steering is, can I make it so the wheel is harder to turn somehow?
I like to have no play in the steering at all if possible.

If you edit your car setup there are a ton of options under the force feedback tab. I have only adjusted the master level so I don't know what the rest of them do.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Joink posted:

No, see my post above for a game controller setup.

I think a lot of controller players are conditioned from playing other arcade racers and having trouble adjusting. Also some of the cars default settings are terrible or bad for the track your on. In general the game isn't a set and forget when it comes to handling.

There were also some reports that the Xbox One controller was really screwy with this game if you didn't update the firmware.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I love those gaf and reddit idiots who dispute highly technical physics based on zero experience or academic background.

The race sim thread here is cool, but on most of the internet racing sim players on game physics is kind of like reading audiophiles discussing $10,000 speaker cables.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2015

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I, too, wish the had adjustments stuck between races.

Also, gently caress the RUF GT3. It just wants to murder.

I actually really like driving the RUF GT3. It has tons of grip when you're on the throttle and it's easy to use the lift off oversteer to get it to turn in more. The CTR3, on the other hand, is just crazy.

Goetta posted:

Does anyone know exactly what the AI skill setting does? I had mine cranked up initially because I thought it meant they would take good lines and be aggressive and whatnot but it seems to affect the actual physics of the AI cars. With it cranked up in karts the AI would keep grip in corners at a speed that I could never handle. If I turn it down I feel like I am almost always quicker down straights. I was hoping it would be more of a skill thing than just like changing the CCs in Mario Kart.

It's not supposed to change the car power or physics or anything. Although I think the AI uses a simplified driving model and kart physics in general had been kind of screwy throughout the game's development.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of, how detailed is pcars fuel consumption? Is it actually viable to spend a few laps conserving gas?

You should be able to conserve fuel by driving carefully, I think people were doing it in multiplayer during testing.

I found a list on the old forums of some of the more obscure/confusing things modeled in the game, I thought it might help to pull out the relevant ones:

• KERS systems in Le Mans Prototypes are mapped to percent throttle input as opposed to button press
  • There is a trickle charge to KERS even when you aren't braking
  • Engine performance is affected by altitude; turbocharged cars will have a power advantage at high altitude tracks
  • Default setups are supposed to be relatively conservative for ease of driving on gamepads. This includes cars like the Ariel Atom where an actual OEM setup exists.
  • Tires start cold in practice mode, but pre-warmed in qualifying and race. In time trial mode, tires start heated to optimum temperatures. In some car classes (like GT3 and Formula A?), tires are preheated in all modes.
  • PCars uses a "volumetric" throttle model, i.e. the accelerator pedal controls simulated air flow to the engine, which can feel different from games where % throttle = % RPM
  • Tracks get rubbered in over the course of a race weekend, so you'll have more grip as the race progresses. Rain will remove some of the built up rubber.
  • Some of the road cars are modeled with better brakes than in reality so you don't melt them after a few minutes and crash into a wall
  • It's possible in extreme cases to overheat and destroy your engine depending on the ambient temperature, radiator setting, etc. On race cars you can see the engine temperatures on one of the MOTEC pages.
  • Increasing rear downforce on the C9 Sauber causes front downforce to increase, to model underbody aerodynamic effects on the real car.
  • FFB is driven entirely by simulated spindle forces, so it can feel different depending on how you've set alignment, tire pressure, etc.
  • Cars with high downforce may require you to drive very hard through corners to keep the tire temperatures at optimum levels.
  • If you're driving on rain tires and the track starts to dry, you can keep the tire temperatures down by staying off the racing line.

Also, whatever this means:

quote:

The Mustang (among others) utilizes a live rear axle with a panhard bar. Due to this suspension configuration, the car will actually pull slightly to one side under hard acceleration. To eliminate this pull, 'wedge' can be dialled in, but this is a compromise in that dialling in enough wedge to offset the pull under acceleration will typically make the car pull in the opposite direction when coasting or braking. The exact amount of the effect depends on your throttle %, gear ratio used, setup, and other stuff so it is hardly a constant effect. pCARS not only has some wedge modelled to counter this (doesn't completely remove it in lowest gears), but also dynamically determines the Roll Centre from the resulting angles.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

You should be able to get a fanatec setup for around $350 with the nice pedals though. I think the load cell pedals would be the main reason to buy one over a G27.

• Locked thread