Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is it just me, or is the rain frequency absurdly high in career mode? It's a sunny day in Sonoma for practice and qualifying, but a lap and a half into a 3 lap race it's going to start pouring. The last month worth of races have had dry practice/quali and then rain halfway through the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Where's the option for accelerated tire wear? And how else would I force a pit stop in an AI race? Is there a way to change how much fuel the AI carries, or is it based off of what I have?

It's in options under gameplay, but the AI doesn't pit properly so relying on them to do so is a great way to lose a lot. They usually wait until the last possible lap to pit, and will drive perfectly fine laps on the wrong tires until then. Pitstops in general are completely broken right now, and especially broken when it comes to AI.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Cars should turn on their headlights for heavy enough rain, I did a race at Imola on the last patch that had rain for a few laps and AI headlights went on when it rained and off when it stopped.

E: I may be wrong but I'm 90% sure you get split times on/after invalidated laps now :toot:

E2: anyone have a guide on how to set up a pit stop for when it rains? I'm terrible in the rain and I'm pretty sure part of it is because when I go out on wet tires they overheat super quickly and I don't know how to fix it.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2015

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Volkerball posted:

lmao this game is ridiculously hard, but i feel like once i get dialed in, it's going to be awesome. might just be the type of car i'm used to racing from gran turismo, but i can wreck poo poo on higher difficulties in the GT and LMP series, but anything open wheel, i'm lucky if i can complete a single lap without having to shift into reverse, much less finish not dead last by miles on any difficulty. of course, the second it starts raining in GT and LMP, i start spinning all over the place too. maybe i'm just braking late and getting on the throttle early, and i'm used to getting away with it. gonna have to do some research to figure it out. already played this more than i played driveclub though.

I found what really helped was just taking it super slow. Playing it safe by braking early, taking turns slow and being gentle on the throttle coming out of turns and just speeding up as you go. Practice sessions are your friend, as are lower tiers of racing. Karts are tricky because they're almost too responsive, but superkart is a good middle ground.

Rain is a pain but the big things are to make sure you have wet tires and have a feather touch. Wet laps are always super slow. you might also want to try turning on some of the assists since having a little traction control or whatever is still less than forza/gt generally have, iirc. I played a bunch of forza and slowly weaned myself off of assists, but had to have stuff on medium when i started pcars. I think I just have ABS and traction control now since I'm really bad at braking and starts, and they're far, far less effective than their forza counterparts.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

H13 posted:

So I picked this up again.

It does have it's problems, but the driving is really excellent for the most part. The AI is dumb as two bricks, your success in the karting championships is directly proportionate to how much of an arse-nugget the AI feels like being on a race-by-race basis, it's buggy and the menus explain bugger all.

But when you put your foot down? It's pretty glorious.

Has anybody EVER managed to get the Mclaren F1 Road Car around a circuit in anger? The moment I put my foot down with that thing, if there's the SLIGHTEST bump in the road, it lifts off too far and the car just spins. It's fast as all poo poo, but I can't keep it on the track!

It's a bastard to control. It's one of those cars you need a lot of practice with, and just need to start slow and slowly build up speed until you know where your limits are.

They patched it to be more controllable a while back, too.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I play with a controller without issued, but I do have to gently caress with steering ratio constantly if I switch cars. What works for f1 does not work for street cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

You can turn down the length so it's a much more manageable length, but there's no way to save and restart, nor do I think you can let ai drive for you. Whenever the 24 hours races pop up I turn them all the way down and pause and alt+tab a lot.

• Locked thread