Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So I'm basically sold on picking this up after I get my 970 in the next few weeks, as I've loved what little i've played on a friend's setup. Is there any word of Steam workshop support or additional cars coming later on down the line? The roster has a decent variety of stuff from what i've seen but it could really use some vintage JDM, classic muscle, or even old school Trans-Am racers.

Also, Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile is such a blast. Especially in the Zakspeed Capri :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

I agree about the comment made earlier how most all other sim games seem to emulate realism by making everything more slippery. It was always mind boggling how you can make a turn at 30mph and sequel all 4 tires while sliding which was not even a thing my beater Saturn would do let alone a sport/supercar. Project Cars seems much closer to realism from my limited race experience and road going fun. I just can't wait till more cars make it in because I love my road cars.

And this is my current biggest gripe with DiRT Rally right now. I get that these cars are racing on loose surfaces and they're supposed to drift, but it's a bit ridiculous when 30mph around a gradual turn on a gravel road ends with my AWD, offroad prepped Lancia sliding into the trees. Especially considering I drive down gravel roads daily in a regular 2wd Silverado work truck with no weight over the rear end end and even it doesn't go spinning out the instant you so much as glance at a corner. Here's hoping they actually do something and give the cars proper grip in a later patch, since it's Early Access and all.

That being said, yeah, Project CARS feels great from what little i've got to experience. I'm looking forward to picking it up in a few weeks, so far it seems like it really nails that fine line balance of realistic but still fun.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

gently caress yes! Friend gifted me this since it's the last day of the sale and I won't get paid until tomorrow. Can't wait to get in on some multiplayer shenanigans with the PC crew, I recognize a few of you from my Forza 4 days :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Basticle posted:

:siren: Next Goon Event :siren:

Info is here on the same google doc, new tab (maybe put this in OP?)

Group A
Thursday June 25th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Oh man, you guys are running my favorite cars too :(

If I didn't have to work Friday morning i'd totally be down to join in on this, looks like it's gonna be a blast.

Speaking of fun, just did a quick race on Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile with a 20 car grid of Ginetta G40s. That was a total riot, that car is real fun to get sideways through those turns :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I just want more old cars. Give me Vintage Trans-Am, SMS! :argh:

Also, old muscle cars in general. Or classic sports stuff. Or normal road cars. I get that a lot of people enjoy the racing spec LMP and high end GT1 stuff and that's cool, I just want more vintage muscle and touring and road cars :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Kinda wish they'd add in some sort of trackday mode to this. The more I think about it, the more it'd be neat to have something that is essentially one big practice session where you can just hop on with your buddies, do some laps and bullshit with one another while tweaking your setups, and just overall have fun. It'd be kinda rad.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Basticle posted:

You sort of can already, you can set the practice length to 30, 60 90 minutes (probably longer too). Only thing you csnt do is change cars without backing out.

Yeah but at some point you have to race :v:

I was kinda thinking some sort of endless practice mode type of thing would be neat.

e: Like, the way I saw one guy describe it which would work really well, is some sort of server that's always online that you can hop on and mess around in, using the realtime weather setting. Having an always online open Nurburgring server on infinite practice would be super cool.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 28, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Also ya they're def gonna have to hotfix the AI, you can hardly pull in to/out of any pit lane without hitting a wall when in autodrive. I wish they'd get rid of that all together.

Try it on Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile, you straight up drive through a fence when you exit the pits. It's hilarious :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, have any of you guys given the Ford GT a go since this last update that tweaked the handling? I took it out on Watkins Glen for a few laps and it was actually really fun to drive. It was a definite, major improvement over how it used to handle, to the point that I was having a blast throwing it through corners. I can actually recommend driving it for fun now, and not just for some ridiculous challenge to your sanity :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

There's a new unlock pack out if you want to unlock the Ruapuna Park track and a bunch of Audis for £4.49.

I don't give a flying gently caress about any of those LMPs, i'm buying this solely for the Audi 90 IMSA GTO :flashfap:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm telling you guys, Vintage Trans Am. PCars seriously needs a pack of historic racing spec muscle cars. I'd love to fling some Javelins and old Camaros around Willow Springs :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I am way too excited to see this new dynamic rain effect on the windows :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

God drat the new dynamic water looks really cool. It's fantastic in motion.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

No assists club represent :whatup:

Also, if you want something that's fun to practice in without being balls out hard, may I suggest the Ginetta G40 Junior? It doesn't have much in the way of power, but it's a total blast to drive because it means you have to really carry your speed through corners and keep the revs up to get as much out of the engine as you can. It's an absolute riot :v:

The Mustang Trans-Am and the Audi 90 IMSA car are great for learning on as well. The Audi especially, it's really stable from what i've found.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Kaddion posted:

Anybody get the new DLC car pack yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334774

I'm not saying I went and immediately bought it as soon as I found out it had a 60's Mustang, but...

:perfect:

Seriously, holy poo poo the sound this thing makes. It's so good! Really tail happy too.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

SanitysEdge posted:

Yes! More road cars! Old road cars!

:agreed:

I've been hoping for more older stuff in car packs for a while now (see: half my posts in this thread) so this is an awesome start. Also, this could definitely lead to more Old vs. New packs. Camaro ZL1 versus old Yenko? Charger Hellcat and '69 R/T? Anything to bring more American muscle into the game :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm kinda surprised none of you guys are talking about the new DLC that came out the 28th. I can't speak for the cars because I haven't had a chance to try them, but holy poo poo that new Mojave Test Track is really fun to drive on. It has a skid pan so you can do sikknasty drifts which is fun by itself, but I think the best part is the Boa Ascent area. It's this incredibly steep twisty section that winds up and then back down and around a giant hill and has some corners that are really reminiscent of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. The only downside is apparently you can't use the full open Test Track in multi, but I imagine you could probably use some of the blocked off variants?

They also added 3 new Aston Martins with the new DLC: The 1959 DBR1, a 2009 DBR1-2 LMP car (Yay more LMP :rolleyes: ), and a 2014 Vantage GTE. Supposedly we're getting a special, fan-requested car pack in October and then a huge track expansion later. Oh, and they recently added the Mercedes Gullwing as a free DLC car it seems.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hello Spaceman posted:

That was out on the 28th?
Because I only saw mutterings about it this morning...

According to the Steam store, it released on the 28th. I only just got it yesterday, hence me posting about it :v:

I'd honestly say it's worth it for the Test Track alone. Some of the layouts are great.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm torn on the teaser stuff shown / listed. Mad Mike's RADBUL and the various old Lotuses and FR-S variants are rad, but do we really need a Ford Fusion stock car? Can't say I've really seen anyone clamoring for that :v:

I'll keep holding out hope for more stuff like the classic Mustang they released in the Old vs New DLC. Also, the Scottish track looks awesome. gently caress Hockenheim though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hello Spaceman posted:

Get your dori dori on with the new DLC, the JDM car pack. Seems that SMS hopes for success by taking a leaf from Gran Turismo's book: include five of the same drat car. In this case, it's the internet's favourite argument-starter – the Toyobaru 86.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41418-Project-CARS-Japanese-Cars-Expansion-%96-Content-Overview

Say what you will, it's worth it to me for the Tommi Makinen Evo and the two Rocket Bunny 86's :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, the new Rocket Bunny FR-S is absolutely mental. I don't know how many of you care about or are interested in drifting, but that little car is a tail happy monster. Definitely gonna take some practice to handle it, but the default setup with no tweaking lets it go absolutely nuts and it slides out real easily under braking and acceleration. It has no problems kicking the back tires sideways even on straightaways with me barely giving it any throttle :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I still need to try the F1. Apparently it's in the same class as the 2015 Mustang GT, which seems mildly unfair.

Also, good news on the DLC front! This month the free car is the Falcon V8 Supercar, and the paid pack has that awesome Scottish road course SMS has been teasing us with, plus Mad Mike's 26b quad rotor Miata drift car :flashfap:

E: Also, holy poo poo the F1 is definitely a handful. I think i've got it figured out though, you just have to make use of its twitchy nature and use braking + liftoff oversteer to whip it through corners. It's hilariously fun to nail an apex while powersliding the entire time :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 20, 2016

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

H13 posted:

Wait. How do you get those free cars? Are they downloaded automagically?

Yeah, they come with the big rear end 1 - 2GB patches that the game downloads around DLC release time. I think this one is supposed to release the 26th of this month from what i've been reading. It's gonna be the Stance Works track expansion or something like that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hnngh. God I love the C7.R. This alone made the DLC worth it :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

whsa posted:

So it's on sale on steam right now. Do I buy the base game for 11 ($11 thanks brexit) is GOTY with the DLC worth 32. The DLC isn't in the sale except with GOTY.

Buy the GOTY, thrash on the Audi 90 IMSA and Corvette C7.R. There's also a really fun road course set in the Scottish highlands, as well as the Rocket Bunny FR-S. Lots of good stuff.

• Locked thread