Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tried dusting off my crusty 360 wireless wheel thinking it would work with some minor fussing with settings and I just can't get it to go. :smith:

There's a giant 20% deadzone that makes steering at high speed really difficult. Things feel pretty good going slow. Don't think it's the wheel itself, I ran some calibration software and the wheel itself is plenty sensitive.. the game just won't recognize turn input until I've turned a significant amount.

Googling and their forum is pretty useless right now, does anyone know of any super secret settings or functional documentation for the game on controller config?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So if it turns out I can't get my wheel to work well with the game (and this seems to be the case the more I futz around, it's not going well), what's the feeling about the wheel options out there today? Is Fanatec still top dog?

I have no intentions of buying high end stuff, don't really care about a gated shifter but a clutch pedal would be pretty nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah anything worth anything is going to cost a chunk of change.

It appears a base Fanatec solution would run around $400-500, but it looks like they're out of stock on some of the pedal options anyways.

I've never used the Logitech options, are they actually decent or do they stay popular just because of the price point?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

So what hosed you the most? The corkscrew or the immediate turn after?

That section of the track is a goddamn nightmare.

I haven't done Laguna in this game but in previous sim games it wasn't the corkscrew that was hard, it was the braking zone for the corkscrew. You're climbing a hill and cresting just at the point where most cars need to start braking, which means the car is going to be a bit light. I've hosed up that entry so many times that I don't even bother trying to do it "right" anymore. I just brake before the crest and hope anyone behind me isn't too close too adjust.

Exiting is a lot of fun. Cars tend to get mashed into the pavement and you can really lay on the power. Then you got that left sweeper which is a great corner. Modestly fast cars can take it flat out.. it owns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp a $50 game just encouraged me to drop $250 on a toy steering wheel. That is an expensive week.

Fanatec thanks SMS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have non-fanatec pedals, yes.

Proper fanatec pedals will have to wait a bit. I don't know what rear end in a top hat it was that made money a finite resource but they're a jerk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately the CSR pedals are out of stock. Also they're comparatively poop to the next tier up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never enjoyed city tracks in racing games, no run offs and corners not designed to be taken at speed just ain't fun.

But they're consistently popular so I guess I'm in the minority.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

See you in 15 hours I guess.

I get bored of that track after two laps. It's obviously technically demanding and there's value in that but a lot of tracks are technically demanding and don't strand you 15 minutes from the pit if something goes wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least when you wreck friends you can apologize and they might actually think you mean it. They might even laugh about it.

Randoms? They're gonna treat you to 10 minutes of gory details the ways they're going to defile your rear end in a top hat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Its biggest failing is overuse of stock or b-roll footage, the racing they show you never really matches what's going on. It's a product of its time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I drove at night in a racing game was Rallisport Challenge 2, and I'd invariably slam headfirst into a tree after five corners. Cast into pitch black with the clock still running? Yeah that's not happening.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll be playing on PC once I get my wheel set up this weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the article claims the G27 is "outdated".

It's a steering wheel you can plugin to a computer or console. It has some buttons.

Nothing about that is outdated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's on the console manufacturers for throwing everything out for no good reason with each new generation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy crap going to a 900 degree wheel from a 270 wheel is a mindfuck.

It took me like 20 minutes just to train myself not to shift too low in hairpins because I might not be able to get back to the paddle in time when I hit the gas.

Gonna take me days to get my racing legs back, this is quite a shift from "we call it a sim but it's still bit gamey" Forza. I never realized how much the game was actually doing for the driver.

Tire squeals really need their own audio slider, I can barely hear them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played all of the first four Forza games with a wheel, skipped the xbone one. I can't really put a finger on it but driving in pcars feels "heavier." Cars feel like they have a lot less grip on cold rubber to me, and I think Forza nailed the feeling of speed a lot better. End result is pcars feels slower and more slippery, even though I guess it's probably about the same.

A lot of it is probably acclimating to a 900 degree wheel, but I don't think that's the whole story.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the rpm dial goes nuts whenever he hits a bump because he's unable to keep his foot steady.

Talk about a purgatory for race drivers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How the heck do you switch to wet tires in the middle of a drive?

I've spent the weekend coming to grips with the driving in this sim, but that's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. I get that little menu of options and the top one allows me to create a profile to specify wet tires, which I do, then save it, but it never actually puts wet tires on my car? Dude just cruises through the pits and never stops.

In free practice it seems like the only way to actually put wet tires on the vehicle is to 'exit to pit.'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a homebrew type solution to secure a steering wheel without buying an sim racing chair? I have my wheel bolted to some repurposed ikea furniture and this worked great with my old 360 wheel. With the fanatec though it's another story.. stronger FFB and cranking the wheel quickly to recover from slides means my hack wobbles a lot and it really messes with the driving.

Is there a SA thread for sim nerds that talks about this stuff that I don't know about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So really the failure of this game is it doesn't simulate corner crews accurately. I want a refund. :colbert:

Also I get that Monaco is a "tradition" but goddamn that place is a terrible place for a race, considering the speeds modern cars are capable of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna try popping my pcars online cherry.

Where's the mumble secret info?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I noticed that by the time I got everything set up. Oh well, I went and did laps on more unfamiliar tracks to get and get used to them. :angel:

Zolder is an amazing track, talk about some badass corners.

I really wish free practice started you with warm tires. Though I guess in some respects it's useful for figuring out how cars behave when they have no grip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just means the game is poo poo at quick-simming physics. I bet if you had parked your car in a sandtrap somewhere and let the qualifying session run out on its own the AI never would have beat you.

This is also probably why AI doesn't lose speed when they go offroading, they're using simplified physics to save CPU cycles for your physics and the game forgets to slow them down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make it a checkbox like every other option is. Let the spergs live out their Lewis Hamilton fantasy (even though you can bet Hamilton hasn't put rubber to asphalt without warmers for ten years) and let the rest of us normal people drive some cars fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm curious how you got a formula rookie car fast enough to flip it. :v:

(ramped off the other guy's wheel, right?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Join the steam group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub

I already forgot the mumble info, someone posted it a page back or so.

But if dudes are racing, you'll see them active in the group or group chat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My CSR has worked flawlessly, but I bought the Forza one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hamilton said something similar in Monaco after that hosed up pit that lost him the race. It was a sulky "please stop talking" if I remember right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, more tracks all the time please.

They should also crank out fantasy tracks, rip off all the good ones that showed up in the Forza series over the years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The original Forza had some pretty cool custom tracks too, which were largely riffs on real world tracks they couldn't get licensing rights too. There was a fun Bathurst one, for example.

I'm not sure what Alpine Ring was based on but that was another enjoyable track.

Sunset Peninsula had a really good infield course too.

And then there was Camino Viejo. :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just do quick race weekends every other day or so. It's a perfect way to play the game, get to choose whatever car suits my mood, a track, and pretend I'm a real live racer.

I do leave the dynamic weather off though, there's no point to it if the AI doesn't lose grip in the wet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spaced God posted:

I've been following this game for a while and am thinking about pulling the trigger during the Steam sale. How big is the disparity between NVidia and their respective ATI/AMD counterparts? I have an HD6870 so I'm not expecting blazing performance, but I'm at least hoping for a playable experience :v:

I'm running a 6870 and it's fine. I don't think I've even bothered to look at the video settings, maybe I should do that.

But no framerate issues on default settings at least.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like some pixels in the shape of Ferrari cars, please. Also dedicate some of those pixels to sound waves that sound like Ferrari cars.

I don't need all the Ferraris, just a representative sampling would be great. It would really round the game out.

This could be the best class action settlement ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which 360 wheel do you have?

If it's the OG wireless 360 one from Microsoft, it doesn't work with this game. No FFB (they never made FFB drivers for Windows) and there's a giant 30 degree deadzone that you can't eliminate when you use it with this game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if there's a le mans thread floating around, but goddamn did Fox Sports' coverage go from awesome shitheap in a hurry.

Had a pretty great web stream going all day off their website and in about the past 30 minutes it turned in a "lol you're not authorized to watch this jerk" crapfest. Then I finally get it working again and it's constant commercials and Corvette dashcam.

I used to think you guys were cool. :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

widespread posted:

Wait, there's an actual 24 hour race of actual Le mans? poo poo. I need to get a Le Mans run in. Maybe with the new paid DLC for this game.

It's the only reason anyone has ever heard of the track because it's the best race ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The last few hours are incredibly intense.

Which Fox sports decided they didn't feel like streaming anymore. Because why would anyone want to watch the end of 24 hours of racing. :downs:

I hate fox sports so drat much, anything that isn't nascar gets the absolute bare minimum attention. Their motogp coverage is absolutely atrocious.

co199 posted:

Yep, in the footage from yesterday (especially going into the evening) sparks were flying out from under the R18s and 919s.

Specifically, when they move over a crest in the road. The mulsanne straight is a public road most of the year and has a high point to assist in drainage like most public roads do. So when the LMP cars move over it.. pretty sparks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

While Forza 6 looks very good, PCARS is pretty much my default racing sim now. I can't go back to the lovely grind of earning money to unlock cars mechanic.

Or buying DLC to earn the privilege of grinding money to buy those cars.

Forza did too good and now Microsoft is forcing them to be a flagship title, along with all the pitfalls that entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Main thing I didn't like about Forza 2 is they really put no effort into the tracks.. the available circuits was almost identical to the first Forza.

They really hit their stride on track availability with FM3.

• Locked thread