Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alr
May 14, 2009
Depends on your budget. If you can grab a Logitech Driving Force GT for cheap, they're fantastic entry level. Logitech G27 goes for around $250 new and is the only real option at that price range, but it's a really good wheel. The DFGT wheel itself is good, but the pedals are a bit cheap, there's no clutch, and the stick shifter is sequential only and attached to the wheel base if that bothers you. The paddle shift things on the back of the wheel are more like controller triggers instead of proper paddles but you'll get used to it. I paid $80 for mine used and feel like it was a good deal though I don't think it's worth the asking price of like $200 new, just spend the extra $50 for the G27. For higher end stuff I've heard good things about Fanatec but they're expensive and with a waiting queue for manufacturing/ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Anybody with any tips for setting up a G27 for this, either the Logitech profiler stuff or the in-game options? Only had the wheel for a couple days, followed some recommended guide for Assetto Corsa which worked well, FFB in this seems kind of harder to judge, though.

alr
May 14, 2009
Taking the Audi R8 road car out for a practice session at Bathurst has the AI gonk the wall on your way out down the pit lane heh

It's also not too fond of the jumps on that Californian highway run:

alr
May 14, 2009
Ebay or Craigslist a Logitech DFGT. If you're willing to spend $200-$230 or so, a new Logitech G27 when it's on sale. This game is also genuinely playable with a wired 360 controller, so don't feel you absolutely have to get a wheel.

alr
May 14, 2009
Top of the mountain at Bathurst in the Ruf GT3 is so knife-edge. I've found it really doesn't like having zero input, got to commit to keeping throttle or brake held until it's straightened out and balanced. Have to be so aware of the centre of mass moving around through the dipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Any of you guys follow Empty Box on YouTube? He reviewed pCars, saying the AI was lackluster and that the physics aren't that great. I think he generally falls into the sim group that no traction = realism and I think the AI is pretty good considering it's better than racing against bad pubbies. Obviously leagues or with people you know make the game better.

I disagree with that review on the AI, but maybe because I'm not exactly fast (70-%75% AI skill on a track and car I know and I'll qualify mid-high and have a good race with the top 6 or so AI) but I sort of agree on the physics lacking something of an "edge" to them. If I turn off all assists - not just set to "real" but actually all disabled - it doesn't feel like I'm able to get the tyres to lock up as hard as they should, and compared to Assetto Corsa something's off with how cars feel when cornering at speed, like there's a baked in stability control system or something. Maybe it's my FFB not being set up properly, but whatever. Small gripe considering AC seems to be widely regarded as having the best overall car physics out there.

I think the game as a whole is fantastic, I'm using the accelerated weather and time of day options almost all the time, watching Bathurst go from pre-dawn fog to sunrise and clear skies is amazing. About the only things I really want are an improved UI, the ability to make custom career style leagues or seasons, not just quick race weekends, and more cars. Particularly to fill out the existing classes so each car has a rival or two to go against. Sort of like how group A has the E30, RS 500 and the 190E, some of the other classes could use more variety.

• Locked thread