Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just heard of this game for the first time today looking at racing sims. I'm looking for something really specific in a racing game, and I'm thinking this game might be it, but I wanted to get an opinion or two first. I haven't really played any racing games since GT4, and I'm looking for a fun, engaging single player career mode that I can dump a bunch of hours into like I did in that game. I bought driveclub at full price, where the career mode is godawful, so I'm kind of wary about finding something that I can enjoy playing the poo poo out of. How fun is it to start off in the go kart series and work your way up to the top? And for those of you who play all the racing games, how does the single player career in this game compare to others? Is there something better you'd recommend? The only other game I've found that has piqued my interest is Moto GP 15, but I don't know much about racing games in general. I'd prefer detailed sims, but a little bit of arcadiness is fine so long as the progression and growth as a driver is a long, but fun process. Looking at the PS4 version if that matters.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mainly the starting from the bottom and working your way up aspect of the career mode. That was such a long process with so many different routes to go that I probably spent over 50 hours doing it. I know you can start at the top if you want in project cars, but you don't have to. My bigger concern is the process of working your way up. Like I'm not going to get bored with it because it's really short or dry. I also really liked how you could upgrade cars you bought which gave you a sense of doing good = better chances of winning. Project CARS looks like it does this through switching teams to sort of simulate earning your way up to teams with bigger budgets, better crews, and nicer equipment? If that's how it works, that sounds awesome.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lmao this game is ridiculously hard, but i feel like once i get dialed in, it's going to be awesome. might just be the type of car i'm used to racing from gran turismo, but i can wreck poo poo on higher difficulties in the GT and LMP series, but anything open wheel, i'm lucky if i can complete a single lap without having to shift into reverse, much less finish not dead last by miles on any difficulty. of course, the second it starts raining in GT and LMP, i start spinning all over the place too. maybe i'm just braking late and getting on the throttle early, and i'm used to getting away with it. gonna have to do some research to figure it out. already played this more than i played driveclub though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

No assists club represent :whatup:

Also, if you want something that's fun to practice in without being balls out hard, may I suggest the Ginetta G40 Junior? It doesn't have much in the way of power, but it's a total blast to drive because it means you have to really carry your speed through corners and keep the revs up to get as much out of the engine as you can. It's an absolute riot :v:

The Mustang Trans-Am and the Audi 90 IMSA car are great for learning on as well. The Audi especially, it's really stable from what i've found.

Playing a career starting in GT5, which is the Ginetta, at 100 AI and 100% length, and now nobody can finish within 10 seconds of me. It's weird, when I'm actually driving at practice, I'll put 2 seconds on the AI, but if I choose to skip to the end of practice, the AI times drop a good 4 seconds in every lap that is simulated. Whenever I'm actually racing them, they just can't keep up. I don't want to take off my training wheel assists yet, but that's probably the next step. The second track, I think Donington, there's this one turn that I absolutely dive into and gain about a second on the rest of the field and it's so fun but lol that is not happening without traction control and all that poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to get into this game after not playing it for months, and I'm realizing why I only put 10 hours into it before. It's too drat hard. Even with all assists on cars spin out non-stop. There's nothing fun about coming fully onto a straight after a turn exit and spinning out unless you feather the throttle despite not touching the steering. That completely ruins that feeling of attacking the track, and just brings sheer terror that you're always right on the verge of spinning out. You're racing against the car, not against the AI or the track. I just can't find a way to enjoy driving. If you like the difficulty of it, that's all well and good, but it's really dumb that you can set L3 to be the throttle if you want, but you can't adjust the strength of ABS or traction control whatsoever. And the whole "this is a for real simulation that you MUST take 100% seriously" options style comes off as pretty silly with how mario kart car physics are. I even had a car pass through mine in a kart race, which you won't even see in races in GTA. I might get it later on PC where I can mod that stuff to customize it more how I want, but it's just an exercise in futility on the console. Shame because the rpg style career mode is nearly perfect. If I could enjoy racing I'd play the poo poo out of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

I have some bad news for you if you think the PC version is that moddable.

Is there no database editor? I modded an old F1 game a while ago to make assists stronger, and it was really quick and easy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
well piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AnimalChin posted:

What? My Project CARS career consists of putting me in series of races that I don't have any control over. In fact it's the flat career mode that's turned me away from the game sim. Are we playing the same game?

I want an RPG style racing career game.

idk, i've never finished a season. are contract offers that broken? best one i've found btw is f1 2010. it aged pretty well, although the leveling scale is way too steep. easy to mod that though.

• Locked thread