Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Most of my experience with driving simulators comes from Gran Turismo 4-6, so I'm looking forward to getting this for my next-gen racing fix.

I said come in, you probably know a lot about how this game differs from the Gran Turismo series, so if there's anything you think is worth pointing out then I'd like to hear it.

It's coming out in Australia on Thursday 19th March, and in Europe on Friday 20th March, which is also when Final Fantasy Type-0 and the FFXV demo come out. The Wii U and SteamOS versions will be coming later.

Some other interesting things about the game are the fully customisable HUD, which would have been really handy in DriveClub since I prefer to have the map on the left side of the screen, not all the way in the bottom-left. I think it also supports day/night and weather on every track, compared to GT5/6 where only some of them did. The number of cars per track is also only limited by the space available on the starting grid, and on the PS4 version you can hear your team members (one of them voiced by a former Stig) through the controller's speaker.

Can you customise liveries like in the Forza games? In DriveClub you can unlock patterns, which let you choose the four colours and the type of paint each one uses (metallic, matte mettalic, matte, and glossy), but you can't really create your own patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Although the game has been delayed to mid-May, I noticed on my PlayStation account that the release date is Wednesday 6th May, so about a week earlier than expected.

The vague release date might just be due to the need to get the discs made for the console versions, and they need to wait for an opening in the factory's schedule. The same thing happened with Gran Turismo 5 when it was delayed once again, shortly before it was supposed to release.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Someone in that thread unironically said high speed ring was better than Spa. But Neogaf to the ground.

The kinds of things that people on NeoGAF have considered dealbreakers include:
  • An unfinished build of the game not maintaining 60 fps with 45 cars on-screen and torrential rain
  • They're considering making a sequel
  • Karts are being included

Joke's on me for reading that poo poo. The whole site's one giant knee-jerk response.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Karts are also a good entry point for a career in racing, so you'd have to be an idiot to think it doesn't belong in the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm guessing the ghosting bug has something to do with temporal anti-aliasing. This means that each frame is blended with the last one, while having the sample points slightly shifted. This page has a really good explanation about halfway down.

The Xbox One version has been confirmed by the developer to be 4x EQAA.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is DriveClub's 30FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9JgorUkWc This game is a technical achievement in all respects. 60fps would have been nice, but other then that the games graphics are perfect.

It's amazing how consistent it is. They should patch in the option to unlock the framerate, since it could probably run well above 30fps when there's no weather or opponents.

I can't wait to finally play Project CARS tomorrow morning. How's it been following this game's development for over four years?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ethanol posted:

my poor 7950 cannot take it. 60 fps around one turn, 30 fps on the next

I've got a 7850, so I'll wait until I upgrade my computer in a few years to grab the PC version. Then I can slam everything on Ultra and not have to worry about the performance tradeoff of each setting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

So maybe I'm just suddenly poo poo at these sorts of games, but I really, REALLY can not drive without the assists on with a controller. I seemed fine during the karts part of the career, I was pulling fast lap times and on the default difficulty I was ahead by as much as 30 seconds on 10 lap races. But as soon as I finish that and start doing this invitation thing with a mclaren F1 I'm like a loving drooling idiot on this thing. I'll be going down a straight and start veering to one side so I turn slightly to straighten up and I'll oversteer and fly into a wall or do a 180. I'll turn down a high speed corner and oversteer. I'll hit the accelerator too hard and spin out.

The accelerator thing I can compensate for, just gotta be careful there, but I'm oversteering like a motherfucker and I can't figure out what's causing it. I know how not to oversteer, I know how to keep clean lines and find good breaking points. But I just can't control this god drat car.

I've tried a bunch of the controller presets but I can't figure out how to fix it. Is it the steering sensitivity? Is it the deadzone? idgi

I thought about pulling out my old wheel to see if it's the game or the controller loving me up, but my wheel is old and it looks like it's not supported (it's an old logitech driving force EX). Anyone know how I can get it to work?

I've hit the same problem. I never had this much trouble with a controller in Gran Turismo or Forza, so if you find any good presets then let me know.

Kart racing was great except for that hilly track. I was already thinking of doing it for my birthday this year, but now I can't wait to do it for real.

Going back to DriveClub was amazing. If I want to get better at Project CARS though, I think I'll just stick to time trials and free practice instead of slowly struggling through the career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

It didn't exactly fix the problem, but try a high steering deadzone and low steering sensitivity, you can't quite dart through corners but with it set up like that I spin out less.

Ok, so I got my logitech driving force EX set up, turns out there was a button assignment menu I didn't see. Problem now is though the force feedback doesn't work. It looks like it's turned on and everything but I'm not getting anything. Anyone know what the deal is?

I've got a Driving Force Pro, but it's not compatible with the PS4. Probably has something to do with the PS3 being hacked through the USB ports, which means they won't allow unsigned devices to communicate with the PS4.

I could have got the PC version, but I actually had an easier time using the controller in Gran Turismo 4-6, mostly because I could turn more quickly with less effort. However, you also didn't need to be nearly as gentle with the analogue stick in those games to keep your car from spinning out.

• Locked thread