Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Hoping dedicated servers get a bit more love; preferably with automated track/car rotations instead of the host/lobby model, including joining races in progress (if not only to spectate).

Bonus points for an API to extract race results from the servers so server operators could use it to build an iRacing-style network with a simplified IR/SR system.

Not that I've thought about this too much or anything.

Karts are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Side question - I drive using a Rift so I don't get a HUD.

Seemingly randomly during practice/qualifying my car will just shut down completely. It's happened during a Free Race, too.

I assume it's because I've run out of fuel, but some of these qualifying sessions are 10 minute sessions using the baseline setup, so that doesn't seem right.

Any idea why the car would just randomly shut off on its own?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Halkenguard posted:

I have a question for all yous guys who have already purchased the game.

Is there any kind of system in place (like iRacing's SR) to keep the online racing clean and wreck free?
If not, what is there to keep me from making GBS threads up race servers with bumper car action?

Nope, and nothing whatsoever. Public online games are atrocious like every other non-iRacing sim.

That's why I want proper dedicated server support, so at least then server admins could blacklist habitual wreckers and you wouldn't have to deal with the terrible lobby system.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

ethanol posted:

if you catch a long enough race for a full sunset. my god... they should have sent a poet

Everyone owes it to themselves to do the following:

Watkins Glen
Oreca Nissan LMP2
Real Weather
17:00
15/20x Time Progression
10-20x Weather Progression
Oculus Rift

Going from Day/Night/Day, seeing your surroundings light up as the night falls, having it rain midway through, all while seeing the rain splatter on your helmet is fantastic.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Goetta posted:

Ok, twice now in random online games I've gone through qualifying and then get a black screen when loading into the actual race and have to force close the program. Has this happened to anyone else?

It's happened for every online race for me so far. Prior to launch it worked fine.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
One complaint about the AI that I haven't heard yet - in Career mode the AI drivers' skills either are roughly all equal to each other, or vary from race to race.

I just won the LMP3 US series championship- a 6 race series- with 3 first place finishes, a 7th, a 14th, and an 18th. There's no way that should have been close to enough to take everything down.

It seems that Bob Smith could be a race leader in Race 1, but in Race 3 he's a backmarker, so each CPU will only average about 5 points a race.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yes a weather forecast or a "Hey we're seeing rain approaching in the radar." a lap or two out would be tremendous.

The latter does happen (in the 1% of the time where your spotter actually talks)

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm assuming there's no command line switch to use the old 0.6 Rift runtime instead of 0.8, is there?

Need to keep it at 0.6 for Elite and iRacing, but I miss pretty day-night cycles :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Yes, there is a switch for 0.5 and 0.8. Phone posting, so I don't have the reddit URL handy. Though Elite runs on SteamVR/OpenVR now and people claim it performs excellent. I thought iRacing was also updated.

Supposedly the windows 10 November update broke the switch, though I haven't noticed and use it for Assetto Corsa & Alien, all the time.

Now if only the shadows and performance were better in project cars.

Yeah, that's where I'm stuck - I installed the switch, but had to uninstall the Oculus display driver to get 0.6 to work, so switching back to 0.8 doesn't work.

Never got SteamVR working for Elite (and Horizons doesn't even seem to run through Steam to begin with), and iRacing is still stuck on 0.6 for at least the next couple months.

That's a shame, though not unexpected; I suppose I could just dual boot into a separate Windows install if I really get the itch.

• Locked thread