Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Encouraging roleplay is tough, since people can be embarrassed or simply not all that into it. Try to make an obvious roleplay encounter once in a while, and reward anyone who participates a bit.

Put extra effort into room descriptions if you can, since that's where players pull their ideas and inspirations from sometimes. Have bad guys and villains talk to them or to other monsters for a chance at interactions. Or better yet, fold some encounter design into it. Instead of saying "there are five goblins in the room", why not try something along the lines of " The room is covered in mouldy furs and splintered furniture. Four goblins sit clustered around a brazier using pieces of chairs for firewood while a fifth naps in a dark corner." Now, if they catch the goblins off guard, the goblins don't run for their weapons, they grab their pokers or sticks from the fire and use them as improvised weapons that deal additional 1d4 (or appropriate) fire dmamge, ongoing 2 with save ends if you feel particularly vicious. If a player grabs a stick? Same deal. Wizard wants to toss a surprise firebolt into the brazier causing it to flare and deal area-of-effect to all four? Sure. Goblin drops a weapon or the brazier spills? Room starts on fire. If they sneak in? Rogue gets an opportunity to sneak and coup de gras the sleeping goblin and knock one out early. Dont get hung up writing novels about details, but even one little detail tells the players something about the picture of the room in your head that they can work with.

Let them use their character traits. One of my favorite things about this campaign so far is the fighter who took dice proficiency. In the Redbrand hideout in the module, there's a group of guys playing a dice game. When getting ready to burst in the room, they listen at the door and I give the fighter advantage since he's hearing the sounds of dice rattling and people cheering or groaning, etc. They end up having the rest of the party hide, while the fighter puts on a stolen red cloak and just walks in, poses as a new guy and asks to join the game. At this point I play an actual dice game with the player (a bluffing game adapted from a drinking game we have) and essentially roll to modulate how good the gang members are bluffing by making better or worse bluffs in this little minigame. He manages to win all the gold at the table and sees these guys are getting angry, so he offers them all their gold back if they go 'take his patrol shift in town' that starts in a few minutes. They guys all grumble, but grab their gold and file away out of the hideout, clearing the room without the sounds of combat alerting the next room.

I also make use of the inspiration optional rule and its worked great. Basically, if someone does particularly good roleplay or has a good idea, I give them an 'inspiration point' which they can us at any time to get advantage on a roll. It helps them pull off clutch rolls or big attacks, which feels good to them as a player. I also try to actively discourage meta-gaming and number crunching beyond a reasonable level, and will give out disadvantage on rolls that are particularly disingenuous, such as trying to roll for the same thing multiple times without a good reason. Unless it's a skill check of some kind, you don't just get to hammer away at something until you roll a 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I was invited to DM a few sessions for my semi-regular group this weekend. I had been cooking up an idea for a world and a few initial encounters. I haven't played a ton of D&D before. My group has been doing a little bit of D&D and a little bit of Age of Rebellion over the last 8 or 9 months.

Aside from the cheatsheet, the donjon tools and the goblinist encounter generator, is there anything else that's really super useful for DMing? The thing I'm most afraid of is having to spend a ton of time looking things up. Ease of life tool suggestions would be appreciated.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I have found that the Complete Spell Sheets Per Class pdf is incredibly useful for any spellcasters. While it won't help you DM directly, it does cut down on your players looking stuff up, which is always a plus

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=4156

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'm letting my friends play whatever race/class combos they wanted and wound up with Dwarf Warlock, Dragonborn Monk and Tiefling Paladin.

I was planning on using story elements to make the warlock's familiar a little more independent, even insubordinate, but giving it low level rogue and cleric class skills just to sort of fill out a toolkit for the party.

Is this generally considered to be alright to do? Am I risking game-breaking stuff later on, as long as I limit the familiar's power creep and motivating contributions?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Honestly, you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't scale as fast as the rest of the party. This will give it relevant non-combat tools the party can use, but stops the warlock from essentially having two characters. Since it's a familiar (albeit an insubordinate one), you shouldn't have any problems with stealing the spotlight or getting the DM too involved in party decisions.

The biggest thing is that your players are on board with the idea. If so, it sounds like a cool story idea and a tidy solution to an incomplete party.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't scale as fast as the rest of the party. This will give it relevant non-combat tools the party can use, but stops the warlock from essentially having two characters. Since it's a familiar (albeit an insubordinate one), you shouldn't have any problems with stealing the spotlight or getting the DM too involved in party decisions.

The biggest thing is that your players are on board with the idea. If so, it sounds like a cool story idea and a tidy solution to an incomplete party.

I tied it into a cataclysmic event. Dwarf Warlock gets a Fae pact. goes to arcane college to learn how to break it, re-pact with great old ones, causes massive explosion that pulls his "fae anchor spirit"-nee-familiar into the world, so it'll be a bit more autonomous and not entirely subservient since it wasn't summoned using the usual binding ritual. The player loves the idea of being responsible for an event like that, the other members got caught up in the explosion and survived. First session this weekend will be the meeting-up, "we need to get out of here" type event that will bring them together and start forming the party.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Frush posted:

Encouraging roleplay is tough, since people can be embarrassed or simply not all that into it. Try to make an obvious roleplay encounter once in a while, and reward anyone who participates a bit.

Put extra effort into room descriptions if you can, since that's where players pull their ideas and inspirations from sometimes. Have bad guys and villains talk to them or to other monsters for a chance at interactions. Or better yet, fold some encounter design into it. Instead of saying "there are five goblins in the room", why not try something along the lines of " The room is covered in mouldy furs and splintered furniture. Four goblins sit clustered around a brazier using pieces of chairs for firewood while a fifth naps in a dark corner." Now, if they catch the goblins off guard, the goblins don't run for their weapons, they grab their pokers or sticks from the fire and use them as improvised weapons that deal additional 1d4 (or appropriate) fire dmamge, ongoing 2 with save ends if you feel particularly vicious. If a player grabs a stick? Same deal. Wizard wants to toss a surprise firebolt into the brazier causing it to flare and deal area-of-effect to all four? Sure. Goblin drops a weapon or the brazier spills? Room starts on fire. If they sneak in? Rogue gets an opportunity to sneak and coup de gras the sleeping goblin and knock one out early. Dont get hung up writing novels about details, but even one little detail tells the players something about the picture of the room in your head that they can work with.

Let them use their character traits. One of my favorite things about this campaign so far is the fighter who took dice proficiency. In the Redbrand hideout in the module, there's a group of guys playing a dice game. When getting ready to burst in the room, they listen at the door and I give the fighter advantage since he's hearing the sounds of dice rattling and people cheering or groaning, etc. They end up having the rest of the party hide, while the fighter puts on a stolen red cloak and just walks in, poses as a new guy and asks to join the game. At this point I play an actual dice game with the player (a bluffing game adapted from a drinking game we have) and essentially roll to modulate how good the gang members are bluffing by making better or worse bluffs in this little minigame. He manages to win all the gold at the table and sees these guys are getting angry, so he offers them all their gold back if they go 'take his patrol shift in town' that starts in a few minutes. They guys all grumble, but grab their gold and file away out of the hideout, clearing the room without the sounds of combat alerting the next room.

I also make use of the inspiration optional rule and its worked great. Basically, if someone does particularly good roleplay or has a good idea, I give them an 'inspiration point' which they can us at any time to get advantage on a roll. It helps them pull off clutch rolls or big attacks, which feels good to them as a player. I also try to actively discourage meta-gaming and number crunching beyond a reasonable level, and will give out disadvantage on rolls that are particularly disingenuous, such as trying to roll for the same thing multiple times without a good reason. Unless it's a skill check of some kind, you don't just get to hammer away at something until you roll a 20.

From this and your other story you sound like a really good DM.

I want to read how this ends when it does.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I managed to get through the first DM session to generally positive feedback from my friends. They're excited to play again (so they say).

I put their characters into a situation to bring them together, but now I'm trying to think up a hook to keep them together. Other than the "we're all friends and want to keep playing, so we'll follow this weird dwarf around", I want to give them a narrative reason not to just all go their own ways, as they probably logically would.

Does anyone have tips on how to work that sort of thing into their games?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You can either go for a plot reason, like all being wanted for the same crime, or sharing the same goal, or inter-character ones such as the fighter being the wizard's sister, the cleric wants to redeem the warlock, etc. with the latter you can get your players to come up with stuff and give out inspiration for meaningfully referencing them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My very first experience with D&D 5th edition may well be as the DM (also my very first time DM'ing a live game). Right now I'm working on forming a small group, and we'll likely be starting with only 2 to 3 players (not including me). Are there any good published adventures for a party that small, and that are fairly friendly to newbie DM's?

I guess Phandelver would be the ideal one for someone DM'ing for the first time, but is it workable for a smaller group?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Phandelver is workable for smaller groups with a bit of effort from the DM. Your major issue is going to be the fact that 5e is extremely lethal towards lower level characters, even in a group of five. They simply don't have the HP to deal with the monsters at low level or the damage output to finish fights before they take damage. That realistically leaves you with three main options. First, you could play as is. It'll be a rough go that way until about level three at least. Second, you could remove monsters from each encounter. That first fight has four goblins if I recall, so make it two. It's a little less epic, but makes sense if you buy into the whole 'XP budget' concept. Third, you could fudge the HP/Damage the monsters are doing a bit. This is my preferred option, and works especially well if you are rolling from behind a screen. Savvy players who are metagaming heavy might eventually pick up on this, but that's just another reason to discourage metagaming.

To put it in perspective, in our current campaign (I'll throw up another post eventually when I have more time) our level four wizard has a whole 15 HP, while those goblins in the first encounter do 1d6+2 damage, even at range. And there is four in an ambush situation. With 2-3 players and if you roll well, you could have a total party kill in the round after the surprise round easily. Also, unless one of your characters is a healer, I suggest that healing potions are now a more frequent drop, or have gone down in price in towns.

There doesn't seem to be a huge abundance of published adventures for 5e yet. Princes of the Apocalypse and Hoard of the Dragon Queen seem to be the other common ones, but admittedly I'm not keeping track. If you're willing to do some conversions (not the most beginner friendly), I also liked the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure from 4e. You can also look up free ones online (both for 5e and other editions) and just put in the monster stat blocks from 5e, but you never know who designed them and some of those old DMs are hardcore. Seriously though, google search 'D&D critical miss table'. They'd have you roll a the percentile die on a fumble, and the 100 is literally 'you decapitate yourself' on some of them.

TL;DR - Phandelver is fine, but fudge some rolls/ alter HP & damage for the first couple dungeons or you'll wipe the party.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

koreban posted:

I managed to get through the first DM session to generally positive feedback from my friends. They're excited to play again (so they say).

I put their characters into a situation to bring them together, but now I'm trying to think up a hook to keep them together. Other than the "we're all friends and want to keep playing, so we'll follow this weird dwarf around", I want to give them a narrative reason not to just all go their own ways, as they probably logically would.

Does anyone have tips on how to work that sort of thing into their games?

Personally I'd just give them a general goal (say, finding the Lost Emerald of Ixn for Archmage Xavinar) and ask them why they're still traveling together. After all, they're as invested in keeping this group of PCs together as you are. They probably have a reason to stick with the rest of these idiots in their heads that they'd probably like better than whatever you'd come up with.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Frush posted:

Seriously though, google search 'D&D critical miss table'. They'd have you roll a the percentile die on a fumble, and the 100 is literally 'you decapitate yourself' on some of them.

With certain groups I could see this being kinda fun though. I think Nerd Poker plays with a houserule like that.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I think it could be fun under the right circumstances too, notably if its a game where people aren't too attached to their characters. A friend of mine has a campaign where they used such a list. It was an evil campaign, and one of the characters was brand new. He was an orc character and as part of his introduction to the campaign was challenging a rival for leadership of the clan. So they set up the fighting ring, make their taunts and show off...

...and the character fumbles his first ever combat roll, severs his own leg, and has his skull crushed as he lies prone by his rival. Reroll a character.

So yeah, I can see it going either way in terms of fun, but it'll never benefit the players at all mechanically.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I was hoping for some notes on a homebrew Barbarian archetype, a dex-based whirling dervish type. Right thread for that? I looked at a few versions of the idea on other forums but I didn't like the way they looked, so I just threw something together cribbing features from other parts of the PHB. Just wondering if anything was particularly overpowered or pointless. In particular I was thinking the character might work out as simply too hard to kill.

quote:

Path of the Dervish

Dancer
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Acrobatics, and you may substitute Acrobatics for any Performance check related to dancing.

Two-Weapon Fighter
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. You also gain +1 AC when using a weapon in either hand, and you can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

Martial Trance
At 3rd level, instead of raging, you may choose to enter a martial trance. In battle you fight fluidly and instinctively in a whirl of blades, as if dancing. On your turn, you can enter a martial trance as a bonus action.
While in a trance, you gain the following benefits if you are unarmored and using a finesse weapon in each hand:
  • You have advantage on acrobatics and athletics checks, enemy attacks of opportunity against you have disadvantage, and you can dash as a bonus action on your turn.
  • When you make a melee weapon attack using dexterity, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the barbarian table.
  • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while in a trance.
Your trance lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your trance on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have tranced the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can trance again.

Reckless Attack
When you make a reckless attack, you can apply the advantage to melee attack roles using dexterity as well as strength.

Altered Consciousness
Beginning at 6th level, you can't be charmed or frightened while in a trance. If you are charmed or frightened when you enter a trance, the effect is suspended for the duration of the trance.

Exceptional Agility
Beginning at 10th level, if you are unarmored and not using a shield, you may use the evasion and uncanny dodge abilities from the rogue ability list.
When an attacker you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.
You can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area affects, such as a red dragon's fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the save throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Fluid Attacks
Beginning at 14th level, while in a martial trance you may attack twice, instead of once, each time you use your bonus action to make an attack with your off-hand weapon. In addition, while in a trance you may increase the damage die of any finesse weapon with the light property by one step (i.e. d4 to d6, d6 to d8).

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

I was hoping for some notes on a homebrew Barbarian archetype, a dex-based whirling dervish type. Right thread for that? I looked at a few versions of the idea on other forums but I didn't like the way they looked, so I just threw something together cribbing features from other parts of the PHB. Just wondering if anything was particularly overpowered or pointless. In particular I was thinking the character might work out as simply too hard to kill.

I'm not sure which is the right thread either, but in my opinion you're right; you've made it too hard to kill. Resistance to all physical damage types? To make meaningful damage against any player using this you'll have to be doing the type of damage that'll be crippling to any other class, and would one-hit casters. You'll likely end up having to find ways around your own class build, which kind of ruins the point.

The way I see it you've essentially got it figured that no armor means twice the hits for twice the damage, so you're hoping that resistances will put that back where to should be. And if you're careful and design encounters around it, it might. What I predict will actually happen here is that your player will find ways like feats or high dex to just grab a bunch of AC anyway, rendering him nigh-unkillable, or he'll have a low AC and take so many more hits that even half damage isn't going to ameliorate the extra incoming damage he's going to wind up taking. +1 AC while dual wielding isn't going to scale enough to save the player a world of hurt for long, and making it scale would just make him more unkillable. Then you later get evasion and uncanny dodge? And this whole thing looks set up to use dex as a primary stat?

I would play this class multiclassed with bard so that my laughter as weapons bounced off me and the DM got increasingly frustrated managed to somehow damage enemies as well.

Edit: Reading it back again, this sounds a little scathing when its not meant to be, sorry. There are some fun ideas here like the dancing bit and trancing and whatnot.

Frush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Frush posted:

I'm not sure which is the right thread either, but in my opinion you're right; you've made it too hard to kill. Resistance to all physical damage types? To make meaningful damage against any player using this you'll have to be doing the type of damage that'll be crippling to any other class, and would one-hit casters. You'll likely end up having to find ways around your own class build, which kind of ruins the point.

The regular Rage ability of the barb already does this. At level 3 a Bear barb has resistance to everything but psychic damage while raging.

Honestly that derv is probably fine, it's just yet another class/archetype that eclipses the Fighter and Rogue.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 12, 2015

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The regular Rage ability of the barb already does this. At level 3 a Bear barb has resistance to everything but psychic damage while raging.

Honestly that derv is probably fine, it's just yet another class/archetype that eclipses the Fighter and Rogue.

Oh, just looked it over and I guess it does! Shows you how often I've looked at the barbarian stuff. :P
I still think it's not a good idea to encourage a high dex here as a tradeoff with strength. It's too survavable with the barbarian bonuses to unarmored AC. You'll end up with a CON/DEX tank who can also rage for resistances, gets advantage on reckless attacks, etc. Trying to have your cake and eat it too, I think.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Which is exactly the same as a regular Barbarian, except the regular Barbarian will be stretched thin on stats, unless they roll for stats and do well.

The problem isn't that this dex based Dervish is potentially too strong, the problem is the Barbarian uses Con+Dex for AC instead of Str+Con.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Sure, the barbarian as written in the PHB already does that. I was just looking at an alternative theme for a barbarian aside from hitting stuff with a huge axe. I guess a more appropriate question would be whether it's dramatically better or worse than the barbarian paths already in the PHB--the totem warrior and berserker.

Frush posted:

The way I see it you've essentially got it figured that no armor means twice the hits for twice the damage, so you're hoping that resistances will put that back where to should be.

My expectation was actually kind of the opposite, I think a character with these features would be trading damage potential for survivability and versatility compared to other barbarian paths. Barbarians get unarmored defense to add their dex and con bonuses to AC when unarmored. Conversely, damage from dual wielding scales poorly in comparison with great weapons after you get your extra attacks, but a great weapon user is forgoing dexterity to pump strength. Being dex-based, this guy can get the most out of the unarmored defense feature, and he has better options as far as sneaking out of combat or using ranged weapons.

Ryuujin posted:

The problem isn't that this dex based Dervish is potentially too strong, the problem is the Barbarian uses Con+Dex for AC instead of Str+Con.

More or less.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
It's basically "all the twf feats and class features from every class in one." Which is overpowered, and not how ACFs work anymore. Take a look at the Swashbuckler rogue, which basically exists to get rid of rules restrictions on cool stuff, like TWF with a character who has really good bonus actions already. The barbarian has the same problem where they can't use the Charge feat or TWF on their big first turn, which is emphasized for them because of their initiative buffing features, because they have to blow their bonus action on entering rage. That's the core of the reason for this ACF, so just solve that.

An easy way would be make it so they can trade shield proficiency and the ability to wear a shield and benefit from Unarmored Defense for something like: once per turn when they hit with a weapon attack they can add their offhand damage dice if that weapon can reach the target. At level 5, twice per turn.

That way you have a barb that can TWF and enter rage, or use their bonus action dash, or whatever on the same turn. Also they'll have a better off turn attack if they pick up Riposte or Sentinel or something.

Then leave the rest alone. Don't give them a bunch of Dex synergy, and the good defensive moves from rogue, and an AC bonus from a feat for free. If someone really wants that stuff, they can buy the feats and multiclass.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Then leave the rest alone. Don't give them a bunch of Dex synergy, and the good defensive moves from rogue, and an AC bonus from a feat for free. If someone really wants that stuff, they can buy the feats and multiclass.

ok, thanks, that's very helpful

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Here's an old question that I cannot seem to find a equitable solution to.

Polymorph turns a guy into a sheep (goat statistic block) due to Wild Surge. He had a concentration spell up (the very spell that produced the wild surge). The surge itself does not break concentration due to a recent errata saying as such, but what about Polymorph itself? It says the new form cannot speak or cast spells and is limited to only it's own stat block for actions/etc. Concentration isn't an action or a skill, but just a duration of a spell.

Since he can't cast a spell in this new form, does that mean he can't maintain a pre-existing spell? Is Concentration (the mechanic) something a sheep can do?

For a different scenario, what about a Wizard that polymorphs himself willingly, like a Transmutation Wizard would do with his level 10 class ability?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Polymorph doesn't break concentration, but they'll have a new Con save that might suck and can't use feats anymore.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

slydingdoor posted:

Polymorph doesn't break concentration, but they'll have a new Con save that might suck and can't use feats anymore.

I would also interpret polymorph as not breaking concentration.

I don't think it's a stupid question though, since I don't see anything in the spell description that mentions concentration. Is there a rule elsewhere that mentions it, or was it clarified or erratad at some point?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It tends to generate arguments whether it should or shouldn't because a "naturalistic" interpretation might lead one to think that it should break concentration simply by virtue of being friggin' polymorphed, especially if the resulting form is a creature that cannot cast spells in the first place.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
My own findings suggest that, as the rules are written, you cannot be polymorphed and continue to concentrate. You lack the arcane knowledge in which to continue invoking your spell - that was lost when your brain and body became a toad or whatever.

Rules as Intended, simple logic deduces that polymorph can't break concentration. Otherwise that wizard ability is entirely non-functional. As well, Wild Shape has something specifically about this very issue, yet Polymorph does not. It is reasonable to take from Wild Shape and apply it to Polymorph, although that does fly in the face of "specific beats general" as Wild Shape is its own mechanic. Yet, we have nothing else to work with. The only counter to this being, is the wizard ability a mistake? A hold over from an older edition, like how Grappler feat's third bullet point about grappling larger creatures is? We ought to have been given an answer to that by now.

I'm ruling it in favor of the player because I already don't like thinking about this for as long as I have. I'll make him take the standard DC check because shifting bodies unexpected is still a speed bump to the mental processes, I would say. In the end, Up To The DM shenangians, I just wanted to be sure I was not missing anything obvious.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

especially if the resulting form is a creature that cannot cast spells in the first place.

That's the part that makes me really unsure what the actual intention of the rules is.

Also saying that Polymorph doesn't end concentration spells kind of clashes thematically with "The creature can’t activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its equipment", which I'm assuming causes rings of protection and similar items to stop functioning for hte duration of the polymorph.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/22/polymorph-concentration/ There are no stupid questions only stupid overpowered legacy spells. I guess casting the spell is one thing and concentrating on it afterwards is another. Once its cast it doesn't matter how smart or wise or charismatic you are anymore, just how well you can take a punch.

e; Adventure hook: poisoned sickly wizard polymoprhs self into some high Con healing factor monster to stave off death, becomes too stupid to want to let the spell end when the illness/poison have passed. Turns into the incredible hulk. Only the Mage Slayer martial guy has a chance in hell of knocking some sense into them.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 16, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Well.. poo poo. I'll revised my ruling and clear the air then.

I really don't like not getting some kind of reason or rational behind it, especially after reading so many good arguments for it being one way or the other all over the internet (not that I wanted to do it, but I'd rather kill half a day to make sure my players are not being shafted than gently caress up a ruling because I half-assed my research). All we are left with is our own opinions. Lame, but what can you do.

e: though I appreciate the info, thank you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My guiding principle as a GM tends to be to favor the ruling that the players prefer or is more beneficial to them, since I can always pull more rabbits out of my hat.

The Wizard can turn themselves into a dragon, and if they want to be able to retain concentration through the polymorph, I guess that's okay, because there's always another more problems where that came from.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
There are magic items with effects that require concentration anyway, and you don't need arcane knowledge to drink a potion.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Looking for low level Spell ideas for my Half-Elf Bard (Lore when I hit level 3) doing Out of the Abyss, party consists of me, Cleric, Paladin, Monk, and sometimes a Wizard who frequently has to work but will come when he gets the chance.

I feel like my party role should be somewhere between Wizard and Rogue but I dont have a ton of options for the first few levels, and also Drow being immune to sleep is/was annoying.

Right now I've got:

Cantrips:
Prestidigitation
Vicious Mockery

1st:
Faerie Fire
Bane
Sleep
Dissonant Whispers

At level 2 now thinking about getting Healing Word, Disguise Self, or Thunderwave maybe?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Thunderwave is solid if you rush in, Dodge, and get a bunch of enemies on you (probably better for a Valor Bard, though)
Healing Word you'll for sure want if you're the main healer, but you have a Cleric so maybe not.
Bane is kinda lovely from what I hear but the others are quite good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Made my first 5e character, is it all in order? going for lore bard when I hit level 3

Imnolu
Drow Bard 1
HP 10
Prof Bonus +2
Spell Save DC = 13
Spell Atk Mod = +5
Speed 30ft
Initiative +3 (add prof mod after level 2)
Bardic Inspiration = 3
Saving throws: 0, 5, 2, 0, 0, 5
Worships Eilistraee
8, 16, 14, 10, 10, 16
Criminal: Spy
Chaotic Good
5'6'' 105 lbs.
Passive Wisdom 12

Skills: Acrobatics, Deception, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth

Languages: Common, Elvish, Undercommon

Black Skin, White Hair, Gold Eyes

Personality Trait: I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy

Ideal: Freedom

Bond: Someone I loved died because of me.

Flaw: I turn tail and run when things look bad.

Stuff my bard does: Ukelele, Singing and Riddles

Cantrips: Vicious Mockery, Friends

Spells Known

Level 1: Dissonant Whispers, Faerie Fire, Bane, Sleep

Drow/Elf Traits

+2 Dex/+1 Cha
Trance 4 hours sleep = 8 human hours
Can cast Faerie Fire 1/day
Darkvision 120ft
Sunlight Sensitivity
Immune to magic sleep, advantage against charm.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sunlight sensitivity can be extremely rough depending on the campaign you're in - do you know where you'll be spending most of your time?
If it's going to be that Out of the Abyss Adventure, not too bad - otherwise, it seems a little risky.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, we are doing Out of the Abyss which I heard is 90% underdark, otherwise I would have just gone with variant human (half elves are banned for some reason)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I figured I might as well cross-post this from the main NEXT thread, since it's pretty much baseline advice:

How to Build a Spellcaster

P.d0t posted:

Pretty much this; weapons are basically for when you can't be bothered spending slots to make things die.
Magic Initiate[Druid] feat is popular for Shillelagh hijinx (alternately, go Nature cleric. Or MC Druid, but miss out on metal armor.)

Like, ok... General advice:

If you have Medium Armor as a caster -> 14 DEX, pick up some sort of finesse weapon and/or maybe a ranged weapon.
If you have Heavy Armor as a caster -> 14 STR, pick up whatever melee and/or thrown weapon.

The +2 mod for attack and damage ain't gonna blow anyone's doors off, particularly past the first few levels, but if you're using spells (with any frequency) that use your spellcasting mod or spell attack or call for a save, just be pumping your spellcasting mod whenever you can.
Edit: (to add) You'll be a lot happier doing [die+mod] damage with a weapon than doing [die] damage with cantrips, at least until 5th level when the damage scales up.

It's possible to play casters as mostly support (i.e. use any spells that buff your allies and/or don't ever in any way use your spellcasting ability or call for saves) and then just pump the poo poo out of whichever weapon mod fits with your armor (STR for Heavy, DEX for other) and always be stabbing/arrowing people if/when you're spending your turn inflicting damage. If you've got light armor (Lore Bard, Warlock, or Draconic Sorcerer which is actually better than light armor) you can conceivably max your DEX and play like a hybrid, in this manner; you'll probably wanna consider being Elf for the better Finesse/Ranged weapon profs.

If you're a spellcaster stuck with no armor... well, basically you have to use spells or class features in survival situations (Shield, Counter-spell, Minor Illusion fuckery, Invisibility, w/e, etc.)
Or, like the point of this discussion, just dip a class that gives you some drat armor :v:

Maybe add this stuff to the OP?
Also, from earlier in this thread:

How to Prioritize Ability Scores

P.d0t posted:

To expand on this, as a general D&Dism, I nevertry not to ever put less than a 10 in any of CON/DEX/WIS (although in 4e DEX was less important)

CON: everyone needs it for HP, casters need it for Concentration, and it's a common save
DEX: everyone needs it for Initiative, non-heavy armor users need it for AC, and it's a common save
WIS: everyone needs it for (passive) Perception, it's the spellcasting stat for some casters and some important skills are associated with it, and it's a common save

On the flipside, the rare saves:

STR: only has one skill associated with it, mostly used for heavier/two-handed weapons or thrown weapons (you can get by using DEX instead, with finesse and/or ranged weapons)
INT: only Wizard and Eldritch Knight [and Arcane Trickster] need it, has a bunch of skills though
CHA: if it isn't your spellcasting stat (Sorcerer, Warlock, Paladin, Bard), it's just there for social skills

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I'm going to be starting up in a local group here in the next couple weeks, and I'm pretty torn about how to build my character. So far there is a Fighter and Ranger in the group, though we'll have 5 or 6 people playing including myself. I've been looking at a Sorcerer to start, maybe taking Storm origin. Either that or Favored Soul with the Life domain to get some clutch heals if necessary. With everyone being so new to the game, I'd like to optimize my character without going entirely too overboard into munchkin territory. I've read mixed about Favored Soul being overpowered, though. Would a Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass of some kind be better? Am I pigeonholing myself too much into damage-dealer territory?

Our DM is allowing any and all official source material. He's even open to converting some 4e things if we need to, but no homebrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Favored Soul is really strong because it lets you grab armor and shield proficiency without sacrificing caster levels, while also getting access to spells you normally wouldn't as a Charisma based spellcaster from the domain spells. Healing in 5e is very weak unless you're bringing someone back up from the ground with it, because all it does is burn your action to negate the attacker's action. Command (which is available via the knowledge domain) is a much stronger example of damage prevention, which also has narrative and offensive applications.

Sorcerer/Warlock has always been an incredibly strong combination, especially if your sorcerer levels are from Favored Soul, as the other sorcerer archetypes don't multiclass as well. Just three levels of sorcerer gets you access to a list of 0th/1st/2nd level spells that warlocks wouldn't normally have access to, as well as two kinds of metamagic. Metamagic types are always selected from the same pool with no level requirements on them, so additional selections after the first two are much lower value, as you start scraping the bottom of the barrel. Being low on sorcerer levels means that you'll have a lower maximum number of sorcery points, but warlock pact slots let you reliably fill your pool back up with a resource that recovers on short rest.

• Locked thread