Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Here's an old question that I cannot seem to find a equitable solution to.

Polymorph turns a guy into a sheep (goat statistic block) due to Wild Surge. He had a concentration spell up (the very spell that produced the wild surge). The surge itself does not break concentration due to a recent errata saying as such, but what about Polymorph itself? It says the new form cannot speak or cast spells and is limited to only it's own stat block for actions/etc. Concentration isn't an action or a skill, but just a duration of a spell.

Since he can't cast a spell in this new form, does that mean he can't maintain a pre-existing spell? Is Concentration (the mechanic) something a sheep can do?

For a different scenario, what about a Wizard that polymorphs himself willingly, like a Transmutation Wizard would do with his level 10 class ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
My own findings suggest that, as the rules are written, you cannot be polymorphed and continue to concentrate. You lack the arcane knowledge in which to continue invoking your spell - that was lost when your brain and body became a toad or whatever.

Rules as Intended, simple logic deduces that polymorph can't break concentration. Otherwise that wizard ability is entirely non-functional. As well, Wild Shape has something specifically about this very issue, yet Polymorph does not. It is reasonable to take from Wild Shape and apply it to Polymorph, although that does fly in the face of "specific beats general" as Wild Shape is its own mechanic. Yet, we have nothing else to work with. The only counter to this being, is the wizard ability a mistake? A hold over from an older edition, like how Grappler feat's third bullet point about grappling larger creatures is? We ought to have been given an answer to that by now.

I'm ruling it in favor of the player because I already don't like thinking about this for as long as I have. I'll make him take the standard DC check because shifting bodies unexpected is still a speed bump to the mental processes, I would say. In the end, Up To The DM shenangians, I just wanted to be sure I was not missing anything obvious.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Well.. poo poo. I'll revised my ruling and clear the air then.

I really don't like not getting some kind of reason or rational behind it, especially after reading so many good arguments for it being one way or the other all over the internet (not that I wanted to do it, but I'd rather kill half a day to make sure my players are not being shafted than gently caress up a ruling because I half-assed my research). All we are left with is our own opinions. Lame, but what can you do.

e: though I appreciate the info, thank you.

• Locked thread