Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

Also regarding the house rule of five minute short rests what happen to thing like the cleric/paladin channel divinity abilities? For example where I am now I have two channel divinities: turn undead and guided strike. Guided strike gives me a plus ten to my hit roll if I announce its usage before the DM declares a hit or miss. Did you find that being able to reset those abilities every two to three encounters made these abilities too powerful or raised their usefulness? I have caught myself holding onto my channel divinity waiting for a big encounter and ended up not using it.
Once every 2-3 fights is actually about how often you're supposed to be able to short rest by the book. I think the official guideline is "twice per day between long rests", but if you're not getting that then you're behind the curve. The 5 minute length is just to make it more likely to hit that number.

E: To be fair to your GM though, 1 hour short rests are really hard to fit into the narrative. In both my groups I think we're averaging 0-1 per day in actual play, so it's not just you guys.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Question for anyone with the DMG: What kinds of magical items or item effects are there that are aimed more towards casters?

In my Tuesday game the DM gave all of us weapons that will level up with us, but he's kind of at a loss as to what to do for the Warlock and my Druid. Neither of us really use weapon attacks (or rather, I probably won't starting at 5th level when my cantrips get an extra die of damage). I ended up getting a shotel (reskinned scimitar) and the Warlock got a book (he's a tome warlock). Though if we needed to do something else we could probably retcon it.

I don't suppose there are any items that add +hit/damage to cantrips? That'd be pretty neat, though I suppose not strictly necessary since as a spellcaster I can kind of choose when I get to hog the spotlight.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I did some online searches and this site was pretty useful for finding things that looked interesting.

Wand of the War Mage seems to be at least +hit with spells, but I'm not sure if that's enough to make it worthwhile since it's just my cantrips that are spell attacks. My actual spells are all saves.

And yeah, Rod of the Pact Keeper looks perfect for the warlock.

Otherwise it looks like a lot of the typically spellcaster-y weapons are mostly "x charges, cast y spell, recharge z charges per day". Maybe I'm missing the cooler ones though since I don't actually have the book in front of me. I'll see if I can take a look at one this weekend.

Apparently all the weapons are sentient. So that'll be interesting.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

I think Cantrips count as spells if it says "+3 to hit with spells" but I'm not sure though.

The difficulty with the caster based magic items is balancing them against magic swords and poo poo because casters can already be way stronger than say a fighter, for example. Like if your group is playing with 5 minute short rests or you're just allowed to rest a lot in general between encounters then maybe your casters are already killing the poo poo out of anything and everything so maybe the main reason you need something magic is for a lot point.
Yeah, I knew that, but as a druid I don't have many attack spells. So +hit doesn't do a whole lot when most spells call for saves. And the ignoring cover thing only works for one of my two cantrips.

But like you said, I don't really need a whole lot of extra juice to steal the spotlight. A good Entangle spell does that. And without any +hit stuff, the cantrip attack math does start to fall behind.

So far we've actually not been resting much at all between fights, so I actually have been leaning pretty heavily on cantrips. I don't think I even got to use my land druid arcane recovery thing last session (which was extra brutal for the warlock). That may change going forward though, since we seem to be transitioning to a more sandbox-y game style.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I think you might be right about the Moon Druid / Barbarian synergy... unarmored defense would be a class feature, right? So at level 6 you can turn into one of those dinosaurs in the DMG and add your new shape's Constitution modifier to its AC?
Not quite. RAW, if you have multiple features that set your AC to a certain number your have to pick between the two. Technically animals don't have an AC calculation, so you have to assume they're just setting your AC as well.

It's still pretty good, since you're still likely going to come out ahead. And it saves a spell slot/concentration because you're not having to fix your animal form AC with Barkskin (which you'd probably lose once in a while until you get Warcaster, since you're up at the front lines taking hits). You're just delaying a bunch of stuff by a level for it, which isn't really that bad in the long run. And nobody plays to 20 anyway, so you're not likely missing out on the capstone (which is actually really good for a moon druid).

@GG: With that party, I don't think you're going to overshadow anybody regardless of what you pick. Bards are amazing, paladins hit like trucks when they want to, and warlocks have a lot of utility. The moon druid's claim to fame is basically "doesn't die". They often get to roll a lot of attacks in wild shape, but their to hit numbers are generally pretty low.

If you were going to reroll completely and want to keep the AC fixer, you might also look at monk/druid. There's a lot of synergy there since you'll likely want a high WIS, and not all animals have good CON. Or else there's nothing wrong with going straight druid.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

So, Draconic Sorcerers gets an AC of 13 + Dex. If you start as a Barbarian and multiclass into a sorcerer, would you have an AC of 13 + Dex + Con?
Nope. AlphaDog is right. Both features set your AC to a value, so they don't stack. As opposed to something like a shield, which is specifically worded as a "bonus to AC".

e: Here's a guy nerding out on this stuff in depth.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Captain Walker posted:

How badly does a 16 matter in your primary stat? I'm starting my first 5e game ever with intent to play a fighter, and I don't immediately hate the game, but I do miss the ability score bonus coming from both class and race, since I want to be a tiefling.
You will likely want to get your primary score to 20 ASAP, but a lot of characters start off at 17 because of the spreads of the current race selection. So you're only missing out on like 1/2 of a feat compared to them (or really a full feat compared to a +2 Str race).

• Locked thread