Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
My group of friends are at the very end of the Starter Set adventure (which was great, I enjoyed DMing it) and I'm going to trade places with a player so he gets to DM and I'll get to play a character.

Currently the party looks like this (level 5, we have the PHB/MM/DMG):
- Champion Fighter
- Wild mage Sorcerer
- Monk (rerolling from a Moon Druid, so I'm not sure what kind of monk he'll pick)
- Me (replacing a Arcane Trickster Rogue)

Looking at the current party setup it's lacking a "Leader"/support character, but since I played a Warlord in our previous 4e campaign I'm a bit weary of playing another support unless it's a fun one (I think I lucked out with my Kobold Warlord being hilarious to play).

Any advice on a fun class to pick that suits the party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Why not a Bard?

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I'd say Bard

P.d0t posted:

Well, for "support class" you're pretty much limited to Bard or Cleric, anyway. Ranger might fit, if the campaign lends itself to one.

Hah, a bard it is!

I tried my hand at creating a bard using a pre-made Bard (Collage of Lore) for the groundwork and reading up on class in the Players Handbook.
When it came to choosing spells I probably could have spent more time, but frankly I got tired of browsing that section in the PHB back and forth to compare alternatives. Kinda made me miss the simplicity of the 4e digital character creator.
I'm worried that I might've taken to many Concentration spells, but hopefully they'll all be handy. :shobon:

Behold, Miri Evenwood - the bard who reaches for the sky attempting to be a hero from the old tales, no matter the cost.

If anyone can just do a quick pass through the character sheet and see if I did something horribly wrong, missed something or have some plain advice regarding spells I'd really appreciate it. :)

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
The DM in my current game has subtly hinted that our group will reach level 6 in the next session.

As a Lore Bard, I get a nifty feature called "Magical secrets". I can pick any 2 Cantrips or Level 1-3 spells and add it to my spell book without it counting against my known spells.

The problem is that there are so many spells to choose between and I could really use some help with narrowing it down a bit. The party consists of a Wild Mage sorcerer, Champion Fighter, Elemental Monk and me as the Lore Bard.

What spells should I consider as the sole healer/support? :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Red Hood posted:

Crusader's Mantle, Aura of Vitality, Counterspell (if your game has a lof of caster enemies), Haste, or Revivify are all great choices.

If you feel like you're not contributing to combat enough, Eldritch Blast is pretty worth it; Vicious Mockery starts to go downhill once enemies have more than one attack.

I did not consider that Paladins get their level 3 spells at a later level. Both Crusader's Mantle and Aura of Vitality made me do strange sounds when I checked them out, the Aura more so (20d6 healing! 20d6 :vince:).

I'll probably go with the Cantrip Eldrich Blast for more damage when necessary and the Aura of Vitality for the absurd amount of healing. Thanks a ton for pointing them out! :)

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm going to create a new level 9 character for an adventure with a total of 3 party members (me, a sorcerer and possibly a monk) and after previously playing a Bard I'm leaning towards a [Barbarian (Path of the Totem).

Glancing over the features the Totem path gets I'm getting the impression that I can sort of emulate the "Defender" path from 4E (Hit me and not my friends), especially if I grab the Sentinel feat (an opportunity attack if a target hits an ally within 5 feet, OA even if the enemy uses an disengage and if the OA hits they are immobilized).
Is this viable in 5E, or since our party has no supportive character, is it a really bad idea?

Building a bit on that, I'm curious if a agile Barbarian (Dex, Shield + Finesse weapon) is as useful as a strong barbarian (Str, Greataxe)? While the class features at level 18 and 20 are strength focused, they're very far off.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

None of your features function off attacks using anything but Strength. Reread Rage and Reckless Attack.

Crud, you're correct - didn't read those closely enough. While it's not the end of the world to miss out on Reckless attack, losing the scaling damage (+3 at lvl9 while raging) is a bit of a deal breaker. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
So currently in my party we have the charismatic Sorcerer, the dexterous sneaky Monk and me, the strong Barbarian. We're fairly even in combat, but I'm in need of some advice what I can bring outside of it. The obvious thing mentioned in the Players handbook is "You can lift a heavy object!", but I don't expect that scenario to come up a lot. Any advice or outside the box thinking on what I can do with my 20 strength? I don't need anything detailed, but some pointers in the right direction would be lovely. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

grapple with people. at level 6 bear totem gives you advantage on strength checks to break things, grapple a guy and ask your DM if you can roll a strength contest to horribly break his limbs

That's actually... a great idea, not only for out of combat but also combat. I completely blanked on grapple being a thing, and this guide someone has written seems to explain it really well. Thanks for the tip!

• Locked thread