Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So got to play my first in person game in 10 or 11 years on Tuesday. Played a Bard, had a good time and got set up with a DCI number for Adventurer League.

Found one of the players runs another game at another store on Wednesdays. So I made a Half-Elf Chaos Sorcerer, because it sounded like that group might have needed some more ranged spellcasting, though I may have misunderstood.

Got there and that group had six people, but another group that usually has more only had four, so I brought my Sorcerer to that group instead.

Apparently they had recently fought a dragon, and were trying to deal with some goblins. The stoned druid NPC got carried away and we went to find him.

We get to a keep sneak around and spot a half dozen or so goblins, so I try to cast sleep and put only one to sleep, apparently the DM beefed them up. We kill a few, including the big fat goblin that was ordering them around. At which point the rest flee while, uh, thanking us. Also when I woke up the one I put to sleep it apparently decided to follow me.

The barbarian takes point and at various points gets hit for like 15 or 12 damage, and I just look on in shock with my 8 hp. Come to find out most of the others are already up to 3rd level, and he brought a 4th level barbarian.

Eventually, an hour and a half after the store was supposed to close I think, we finish a fight with four hobgoblins, who hit for 12 damage a pop everytime they hit someone while adjacent to another hobgoblin.

I get enough xp to level. I believe I should probably switch out Sleep for something else. I also have Thunderwave. So if I switch out Sleep I can pick two first level Sorcerer spells. Any suggestions?

Also before leaving one of the players in that game invited me to a game he runs, Sunday after next. That game however is D&D 1e, which I have never played so that might be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It was Adventurer's League, you always start with a 1st level character, and I was going to bring it to a 1st level newbie group that was mostly a bunch of little kids. You can bring the character from game to game, table to table, though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not that I have seen, still it is better than the 3rd table which was particularly high level.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dick Burglar posted:

YOU EARN YOUR XP LIKE GOD GYGAX INTENDED :reject:

Also what's stopping you from having like the same character at multiple levels, so you can play with different level groups?

Not sure if you can have the same character at different levels, but you can have multiple characters. Maybe you have a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th level character. Bring them all with you and use whichever one is closest in level to the group. You just have to earn the xp on each character separately. I now have two characters, from two different games. One is still 1st level and I can't use at other tables because they had me roll for stats instead of use point boy. The other got to 2nd level because he was traveling around with a group of 3rd and 4th levels. Still not sure which spells I should take for him at 2nd though. Which I was hoping to get some suggestions on.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It does seem like adventures might be level gated, or at least the tables were at different levels running different adventures. I think the higher level table might have been running Tyranny of Dragons, possibly Hoard or the follow up. The table I ended up at was running Lost Mines of Phandelver. And the newbie table I almost played at was going through Defiance in Phan.

quote:

Character Creation
To create a character for the D&D Adventurers League,
follow the steps below. Special exceptions and unique
rules as applicable to the D&D Adventurers League are
noted within each section.
Characters begin play at 1st level.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

P.d0t posted:

I was just looking at some MC options, and it says you basically combine all your slots together from your spellcasting classes.

So, the Paladin's Divine Smite says you expend one "paladin spell slot" but if you MC with, say, Bard/Warlock/Sorcerer after taking 2 levels of Paladin, would you then end up with a ton more slots you could smite away all the time? There doesn't seem to be any distinction w/r/t slots by class.

Like in many cases multiclassing Warlock is nice for this, because then you have a couple slots that you can use for low level smiting every short rest.

Hmm still not sure what spells to pick for my Chaos Sorcerer that is level 2 in a group of level 3 and 4s, and who has already found that sleep puts only one thing to sleep now.

Also I may be joining a 1e game in a week and a half and I have no idea what to expect.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

slydingdoor posted:

Tavern Brawler is for rich adventurers who want to throw oil pots, alchemists fire, holy water, and acid all the time for sick damage. Improvised thrown weapons deal 1d4+dex, and on top of that oil increase future fire damage by 5, alchemists fire deals 1d4 fire per round until doused, and the other two deal 2d6 typed damage on top of that. The bonus action grapple can synergize with the Grappler feat, too.

Was this your plan? Throw oil for 1d4+Dex damage, then throw alchemist fire for 1d4+5 per round?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Generic Octopus posted:

There's a difference between "Weapon's damage dice" and "attack's damage dice" as seen for things like critical hits. It rerolls the 1dX on your weapon, not the whole sneak attack or divine smite or whatever extra damage.

That is not how critical hits work. Critical hits reroll and add ALL of your dice. This is why the Champion sucks at critical hits. They get the greater threat range but miss out on the extra dice that Battlemasters, Rogues, and Paladins have on occasion. Also attack spells for spellcasters, especially big cantrips like Fire Bolt by 20th level. Also Barbarians when they get the feature to add extra weapon dice on crits.

This is why a Paladin can unload a huge Smite when they know they have crit, and just decimate something.

That said Savage Attacker is only for the weapon dice, not for sneak attack, smite, etc.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Which is exactly the same as a regular Barbarian, except the regular Barbarian will be stretched thin on stats, unless they roll for stats and do well.

The problem isn't that this dex based Dervish is potentially too strong, the problem is the Barbarian uses Con+Dex for AC instead of Str+Con.

• Locked thread