Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Uh where the hell is the "optional rule" for feats? The PHB mentions it on p165 but while the gist of it is explained it doesn't get a sidebar or anything, and the DMG index doesn't have any references to feats in the index.

My players chose some weirdass class/race combos and basically I'm thinking I'm just going to give them a free feat where appropriate every few levels to counteract their suboptimal areas. Ex. "Okay so you're spending all of your time in this big city at the library studying old tomes? Take either Linguist or Mage Initiate. You spent a month training in a cave with world-renowned grappling wrestler Valdash the Bald? Take grappl---err never mind, take Athlete." Is that a reasonable thing to do or am I going to invoke the unholy wrath of Gygax? Normally I wouldn't care at all but I haven't really played D&D in like seven years and want to run 5th as close to RAW as possible at least to start so I don't end up breaking it inadvertently.

Also is SCAG any good if I have no intention of actually running poo poo in the FR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I mentioned that with the page number, it just references "the" rule there which made me think it was outlined in detail elsewhere.

You seem to have done a bunch of thinking (and math) regarding 5E balance, is what I said above doable?

e: forget "doable", is that what feats are meant to be if you don't use the variant?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lucky is awesome because it lets you reroll 1s and other low but critical rolls AND it's not actually advantage so you can use it when the odds are against you (or use it WITH advantage if you roll two 3s or something).

• Locked thread