Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cross-posting from the other thread because I haven't seen this one.

I'll be joining a DnD 5e group about to start the Hoard of the Dragon Queen module. Currently the party consists of a bard, a cleric, a monk and a paladin.
I'll be adding a human fighter to this group, despite warlock looking somewhat tempting initially. Going for Polearm Master, Great Weapon Fighting style, and eventually Battlemaster.

Am I hamstringing my group in any way picking this? Is there anything I should watch out for in the module, or in general (without spoiling it?). Is there anything in the general group combat dynamic I should look at?

I know that it's a hard question to answer before I know any of the specifics of the other players' characters. Really the thing I'm most worried about is nobody ending up with an intelligence above 12. Or even 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm no stranger to DnD, I'm well-aware of the existence of caster supremacy/versatility. That said, I think since there's only one full caster in the group, either short rests will be reasonably common, or there's going to be some grumpy players.
e: I also tend to have a higher level of system mastery than the other players, so just generally to avoid being a cock, I think it's better to be a semi-interesting build that does interesting things like polearm Fighter or Fighter/Warlock (although probably not - the cleric and bard should have most of the charisma side of things covered) than just being a full-caster and showing everyone up once the campaign passes beyond level 4.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 16, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This thread has successfully convinced me to go Fighter 1/Warlock x until I die. I'll see how it goes!

I'll still go polearm mastery even despite greatsword being mathematically 'better' in terms of raw DPS, because as it is we'll be loaded up on frontline fighters so I might as well be something a little more unique.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sunlight sensitivity can be extremely rough depending on the campaign you're in - do you know where you'll be spending most of your time?
If it's going to be that Out of the Abyss Adventure, not too bad - otherwise, it seems a little risky.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Covok posted:

So, for whatever reason, I'm kind of interested in trying out the rules for long distance travel, if it happens in my game. Exhaustion and stuff like that. Is this a bad idea? I've never really run D&D before or any game that worries about such things so I don't know if these kinds of mechanics are good or not.

It's something you want to be upfront with your group about and discuss with them. Some people like the challenge and feel of it, some people figure it gets in the way of the story, the combat, whatever it is that actually matters to them.

• Locked thread