Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Just sort of pondering by post, but has anyone done any kludges to address the M.A.D. aspects of 5e?

Like, the fighter doesn't get much out-of-combat capability to speak of (no expertise AND no spells) and basically you have to pump STR if you want to go melee/thrown or pump DEX for finesse/ranged... and AC :sweatdrop: And CON because really everyone needs it. At that point you're tapped out on ability scores, and you're missing out on the big skill groupings (INT/WIS/CHA). Feats/ASI being an either-or is also problematic, IME.

It also bugs me that Druids and (ostensibly Rangers) want WIS but they moved Nature back to being an INT skill.

The first thing that comes to mind is something like Gamma World, where you automatically get high numbers in the abilities you need and roll for the rest..? or some variation on that.
Actually, it also seems like it'd be pretty easy to get rid of ability scores altogether; the math is pretty transparent (whether it works right is another matter entirely, but)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

I can't think of much off my head that CON is used for besides HP

You're forgetting Concentration checks for spellcasters, which is part of why everyone wants CON.
Maybe to replace that, you could have Concentration key off of the middle of INT/WIS/CHA? :shrug:
The big problem with getting rid of an ability score entirely is it messes up point buy, unfortunately.

AlphaDog posted:

It bugs me too. Let Nature be either INT or WIS, problem solved.

One idea that I've had, which I've posted other places for other editions is to let any Knowledge Skills from your class list use either INT or WIS. For the most part class skill lists don't do much (because of backgrounds) and this makes them meaningful without being a straightjacket.

Basically what I think I was angling at was "Fighters need CON and DEX or STR; You get 18 DEX or STR and 16 CON. Then roll for the rest/get 14 in one of INT/WIS/CHA."
Although I'm sure some munchkin would ruin this with multiclassing.

Slippery42 posted:

What about completely decoupling skills from ability scores. Right now, they're often written as something like "you can make a Strength (athletics) check" which seems to me like that might have been the original intention

I think that was the intent, and I borrowed from that idea for the skill list I'm using in The Next Project; each Skill is a Skillset, and does different things when used with a different ability score. A DM I had in 4e did something similar, where "Appraise" was "Streetwise but with INT instead of CHA" for example. Or, "Climb" could be "Athletics + STR" and "Tumble" could be "Athletics + DEX" or stuff like that.

Maybe, if you want to go DTAS, start by creating a class-based equivalent of Proficiency that stacks with actual Prof. Fighters would always add it to Weapon attacks and probably Athletics. Admittedly I haven't thought about this at any depth, I'm just sort of thinking this up as I type.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
How much should Bards care about their weapon stat? (i.e. STR or DEX)
What builds might you use a halfing or gnome for?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

eatenmyeyes posted:

Did you have anything specific in mind?

Sorta kinda not really.
Like, basically what I'm thinking about is, the Bard's weapon selection is poo poo if you start as one at level 1 (like when you have to be the healer, or whatever). Once you get to level 3, you can go Valor Bard and have some more options (with the added burdenfeature of getting to sell and replace your armor and weapons) :jerkbag:

So starting as a Fighter and then multiclassing Bard can work (hurray for getting all weapon/armor proficiencies) but I dunno exactly what weapon might be most useful in that scenario. Is going heavy armor and dumping DEX any good? Or is it better to not MC and stick with Light/Medium and the limited Bard weapon profs? Or just gently caress weapons, get enough DEX for the +2 AC with Medium armor and use spells all the time?

Alternatively, you can go with a Race that gives you some more weapon proficiencies (Elf, Dwarf) but no CHA bonus... So I guess my question is, would that be even worth playing, as a bard?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Or, how about just throwing darts in a bar?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Trast posted:

What are some creative applications for low level spells you all have seen in your play time? I know a story about a goon playing a druid using heat metal to kill a Roper by feeding it a corpse with armor on it then heating the armor up from inside. I thought that was hilarious and really creative.

Minor Illusion bullshit.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Can you use Acrobatics to avoid OA's, just like Tumble in 3.5? One of my DM's seems to think so, but I think that might be a "rulings not rules" thing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Assassin has some cool out of combat stuff and if it can get the drop on some one deals fantastic damage.

Open question: how does stealth work?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Giving the PC's "tokens" to help define when they want rests is actually kind of a cool idea, though it might take some serious effort to fluff in some cases(perhaps an adrenaline surge after the first fight in a chain restores some HP and limited-use powers?), and I don't think it'd be unfair to say the DM is allowed to go: "Hey, PC's, explain to me how you manage to rest/recover here." rather than just making it an entirely free thing to use. Though the GM shouldn't be too aggressive about analyzing their rest-justification, he should just push them to come up with something cool rather than taking it as an instant heal effect.

The way I did something like this in my 4e hack/homebrew was basically that short rests were a Character resource, rather than a Party resource, keyed off an ability mod. So you had like 3-5 per day, or whatever, and each one fully restored your Encounter powers and your HP. it'd be harder to wrangle that into 5e since it doesn't have 4e's Power or Healing Surge structure..

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Indeed I would never go for a negative in Wisdom.

To expand on this, as a general D&Dism, I nevertry not to ever put less than a 10 in any of CON/DEX/WIS (although in 4e DEX was less important)

CON: everyone needs it for HP, casters need it for Concentration, and it's a common save
DEX: everyone needs it for Initiative, non-heavy armor users need it for AC, and it's a common save
WIS: everyone needs it for (passive) Perception, it's the spellcasting stat for some casters and some important skills are associated with it, and it's a common save

On the flipside, the rare saves:

STR: only has one skill associated with it, mostly used for heavier/two-handed weapons or thrown weapons (you can get by using DEX instead, with finesse and/or ranged weapons)
INT: only Wizard and Eldritch Knight need it, has a bunch of skills though
CHA: if it isn't your spellcasting stat (Sorcerer, Warlock, Paladin, Bard), it's just there for social skills

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
One other consideration I might throw in there is that DEX can be a little more valuable if the whole party goes in on having good Stealth.
It's one of those rare skills in that regard; a lot of the time you can basically get by with having one "expert" on each skill, within the party.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

With polearm mastery, do enemies who are already within my sphere of influence, but move around (not disengaging) provoke attacks?

Nope. Basically once an enemy is within your reach, they don't provoke from you unless they leave your reach.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I was just looking at some MC options, and it says you basically combine all your slots together from your spellcasting classes.

So, the Paladin's Divine Smite says you expend one "paladin spell slot" but if you MC with, say, Bard/Warlock/Sorcerer after taking 2 levels of Paladin, would you then end up with a ton more slots you could smite away all the time? There doesn't seem to be any distinction w/r/t slots by class.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Basically, because cantrips don't add an ability mod to their damage, they don't always reliably kill "monsters that are supposed to die in one hit"; if you instead use minions that expressly have 1 HP, cantrips become more reliable. Although once you hit level 5 and they all scale up, it becomes less of an issue to use "monsters that are supposed to die in one hit" (presumably, those will be below-level.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Here's some arrays I came up with a while back, if you're like me and always want even numbers in your ability scores:
(+2s can go onto any number you want, but you usually want to make sure your primary ability score for your class gets to 16)

Races that get +2 to one, +1 to another:
15(+1)/14/14/12/8/8
14/14/13(+1)/12/12/8

Half-Elf or Variant Human (+1 to two):
15(+1)/14/13(+1)/12/10/8
15(+1)/14/12/12/11(+1)/8
15(+1)/15(+1)/14//10/8/8
14/14/14/11(+1)/11(+1)/8

Mountain Dwarf (+2 STR, +2 CON):
14/14/14/12/10/8
14/14/14/10/10/10

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

What happens if you hit a creature with both compelled duel and abjure enemy (frighten)?

Um not much of anything?
Compelled Duel basically gives it penalties when it moves away from you, and Abjure Enemy makes it not able to move :shrug:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
well let's see:
Compelled Duel:
    failed save: disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, must make a WIS save each time it attempts to move somewhere more than 30ft away from you.

Abjure Enemy:
    failed save: frightened = disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while within sight of the source and can't willingly move closer to the source
  • While frightened, the creature's speed is 0

Soooo it seems like Abjure Enemy is the same but better..?
I mean, unless it only has thrown weapons for ranged attacks (or none), it can still hit you from 25ft away.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Well, for "support class" you're pretty much limited to Bard or Cleric, anyway. Ranger might fit, if the campaign lends itself to one.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Your oath spells are always "prepared" and don't count against the number of spells you could otherwise prepare.

So, yeah, not all of them are gonna give you non-paladin spells, but oath spells just guarantee you will always have those spells at your disposal.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
At a glance, everything seems right and your spell picks are solid.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Thunderwave is solid if you rush in, Dodge, and get a bunch of enemies on you (probably better for a Valor Bard, though)
Healing Word you'll for sure want if you're the main healer, but you have a Cleric so maybe not.
Bane is kinda lovely from what I hear but the others are quite good.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I figured I might as well cross-post this from the main NEXT thread, since it's pretty much baseline advice:

How to Build a Spellcaster

P.d0t posted:

Pretty much this; weapons are basically for when you can't be bothered spending slots to make things die.
Magic Initiate[Druid] feat is popular for Shillelagh hijinx (alternately, go Nature cleric. Or MC Druid, but miss out on metal armor.)

Like, ok... General advice:

If you have Medium Armor as a caster -> 14 DEX, pick up some sort of finesse weapon and/or maybe a ranged weapon.
If you have Heavy Armor as a caster -> 14 STR, pick up whatever melee and/or thrown weapon.

The +2 mod for attack and damage ain't gonna blow anyone's doors off, particularly past the first few levels, but if you're using spells (with any frequency) that use your spellcasting mod or spell attack or call for a save, just be pumping your spellcasting mod whenever you can.
Edit: (to add) You'll be a lot happier doing [die+mod] damage with a weapon than doing [die] damage with cantrips, at least until 5th level when the damage scales up.

It's possible to play casters as mostly support (i.e. use any spells that buff your allies and/or don't ever in any way use your spellcasting ability or call for saves) and then just pump the poo poo out of whichever weapon mod fits with your armor (STR for Heavy, DEX for other) and always be stabbing/arrowing people if/when you're spending your turn inflicting damage. If you've got light armor (Lore Bard, Warlock, or Draconic Sorcerer which is actually better than light armor) you can conceivably max your DEX and play like a hybrid, in this manner; you'll probably wanna consider being Elf for the better Finesse/Ranged weapon profs.

If you're a spellcaster stuck with no armor... well, basically you have to use spells or class features in survival situations (Shield, Counter-spell, Minor Illusion fuckery, Invisibility, w/e, etc.)
Or, like the point of this discussion, just dip a class that gives you some drat armor :v:

Maybe add this stuff to the OP?
Also, from earlier in this thread:

How to Prioritize Ability Scores

P.d0t posted:

To expand on this, as a general D&Dism, I nevertry not to ever put less than a 10 in any of CON/DEX/WIS (although in 4e DEX was less important)

CON: everyone needs it for HP, casters need it for Concentration, and it's a common save
DEX: everyone needs it for Initiative, non-heavy armor users need it for AC, and it's a common save
WIS: everyone needs it for (passive) Perception, it's the spellcasting stat for some casters and some important skills are associated with it, and it's a common save

On the flipside, the rare saves:

STR: only has one skill associated with it, mostly used for heavier/two-handed weapons or thrown weapons (you can get by using DEX instead, with finesse and/or ranged weapons)
INT: only Wizard and Eldritch Knight [and Arcane Trickster] need it, has a bunch of skills though
CHA: if it isn't your spellcasting stat (Sorcerer, Warlock, Paladin, Bard), it's just there for social skills

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sharpshooter is more of a character class than a feat, really.

It's more like what Fighting Styles should be; as is, Protection is the only one that gives you some buttons to push (albeit pretty dull and situational) instead of just boring +numbers like the others.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Generally full caster is the way to go; more spells to pick from and more slots. Basically means more ways to interact with the game.

EK and AT are just like "have some spells.. and then some niche stuff involving spells" but really, better and more spells is the way to go.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Rogue is great 1- or 2-level dip, for a lot of builds; so no worries there.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Anyone know any good premade adventures for 1st level characters?

Princes of the Apocalypse starts out alright, but the intro encounters "can" be done in any order, but none of them matter to the plot, and DON'T do the necromancer's lair first, because it is largely bullshit. The intro encounters are just there to get you to level 2-3, so you can skip them. If you wanna crop it it your tastes, you can probably make that stuff more campaign-important but as-is there's literally no tie-ins.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

So, for whatever reason, I'm kind of interested in trying out the rules for long distance travel, if it happens in my game. Exhaustion and stuff like that. Is this a bad idea? I've never really run D&D before or any game that worries about such things so I don't know if these kinds of mechanics are good or not.

The problem with Exhaustion and poo poo like that is, IIRC either you grind the campaign to a halt so someone doesn't die, or a wizardcleric uses a spell and solves the situation, like always.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Dipping and Multiclassing

So when you're working on your build, it's important to know what things are decided by your starting class:
  • Save proficiencies: CON is more important than others, if you plan on using Concentration spells (such as paladin smite spells, as well as support stuff) but it's less important depending on whether you intend to be in the thick of combat. Otherwise, every class literally has 1 good common save and 1 good uncommon save. Fighter, Barbarian, and Sorcerer will give you prof with CON saves.
  • Skill proficiencies: Most classes give you 2 but Rogue starts with 4; Bard and Ranger both start with 3, but if you MC into them, you get 1, so if you're multiclassing from anything other than Rogue, it's a wash. If you multiclass from Rogue into Bard and/or Ranger, you start pulling ahead of the curve. Clerics with certain domains will also gain skill profs, and since this is a class feature, you gain it when you gain the class, regardless of multiclassing or not.
  • Class Skills: it's important to keep in mind that the skill profs you gain at level 1 have to come from your level 1 class' skill list. This can be very limiting.
  • Tool proficiencies: Starting as Bard gets you prof with 3 musical instruments; Druid gets Herbalism Kit; Monk gets 1 type of artisan's tools or 1 musical instrument; Rogue gets Thieves' Tools. MC Rogues get Thieves' Tools and MC Bards get 1 type of musical instrument.
  • Weapon Proficiencies: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger all get access to all simple and martial weapons, whether you take the class at level 1 or MC into it later. Monk and Warlock get their same complement of weapons regardless, as well. Any other class will not give you additional weapon proficiencies when you MC into them.
  • Armor Proficiencies: Taking Fighter or Paladin at level 1 gives you Heavy Armor; through MCing, you can gain heavy armor only by taking Cleric with a domain that grants the proficiency (which also works at level 1.) If you MC into Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, or Ranger, you gain light armor+medium armor+shields.
  • Hit Points: you max your HD at level 1, so classes with bigger hit dice get more HP (if not by much) if taken at level 1.

Other than this stuff, you gain all of a class' features when you multiclass into them.
Rogue and Fighter tend to be popular dip classes, so let's examine why:

Rogue, taken at level 1 grants the following:
Hit Points: 8 + CON
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple, hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, shortsword
Tools: Thieves' tools
Saving Throws: DEX, INT
Skills: choose 4 from one of the longer lists available

Class Features
Expertise: double your prof on 2 skills, or 1 skill and your Thieves' tools
Sneak Attack: +1d6 damage per turn with finesse or ranged weapons when your target has an enemy within 5ft (and you don't have disadvantage) or you have advantage on the attack roll.

Thieves' Cant: fluff

2nd level Features
Cunning Action: hide, dash, or disengage as a bonus action

Fighter, taken at level 1 grants the following:
Hit Points: 10 + CON (2nd only to Barbarian)
Armor: all armor, shields
Weapons: Simple, Martial
Tools: none
Saving Throws: STR, CON
Skills: choose 2 from a pretty short list

Class Features
Fighting Style: a big boost for anyone wanting to use any kind of weapon, or if you wear armor
Second Wind: bonus action heal on yourself, recharges on any rest

2nd level Features
Action Surge: take an extra action, recharges on any rest

So broadly, Rogue is the choice if you want to have a skillful character, Fighter is largely for having your pick of any equipment in the game and particularly if you plan to specialize with a certain weapon.

Multiclassing requirements
In order to MC you need to meet the minimum ability score requirements (13 in whichever score.) Notably, Wizard is the only class that requires INT, but you'll also want INT if you go for the Arcane Trickster rogue or Eldritch Knight fighter.

Classes basically fall onto a couple of axes, based on this.

STR/CHA requirements
  • Paladin: STR and CHA
  • Fighter: STR or DEX
  • Barbarian: STR
  • Bard: CHA
  • Sorcerer: CHA
  • Warlock: CHA

DEX/WIS requirements
  • Monk: DEX and WIS
  • Ranger: DEX and WIS
  • Fighter: DEX or STR
  • Rogue: DEX
  • Cleric: WIS
  • Druid: WIS

Depending on your secondary stats, you can kinda branch out, but it's generally very hard to bump both a weapon ability and a spellcasting ability, so keep that in mind when planning characters. You need to decide fairly early on whether your Actions will be primarily spent attacking with weapons or casting spells.

Another thing to remember is that you must meet the requirements for all classes you MC into; if you don't MC, you can even ignore the requirements for your solo class.

It's worth noting that Paladins and Rangers get Fighting Style at 2nd level, so if you start as a Fighter and can meet the requirements for either of those classes, you can end up with 2 Fighting Styles by level 3. Defense fighting style fits with any other style, while Dueling and Protection can also pair up well.
Similarly, Bard gains Expertise at 2nd level, and certain Cleric domains give skill profs or Expertise, so consider those classes if you are making a skillful character with a Rogue as its base.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 18, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Keep in mind, the Advantage from Reckless Attack can be used to make low-STR more viable, but even then you usually want to pump CON rather than DEX; Barbarians effectively get AC and HP from pumping CON so it's a good investment.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

You seem to have done a bunch of thinking (and math) regarding 5E balance, is what I said above doable?

e: forget "doable", is that what feats are meant to be if you don't use the variant?

I'm of the "yes" opinion. Particularly if you're doing stuff to give characters more breadth, rather than just unlocking stuff along some degenerate feat-chain.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Are there any feats actually worth bothering with for a Lore Bard, or is it all about the ASIs?

It's basically been answered already, but the broad generalization on feats is that they fall into a few categories:
  • Trap
  • Awesome for any character
  • Good for specific weapon loadouts
  • Situationally good/campaign-dependent aka Trap

Feats kind of have the same problem as Maneuvers; you have a limited number of picks, but you get more as you level and they're all in one big pool, so you end up taking the best ones early, and then (contextually) the lovely ones start to seem ok (or still just as-lovely) except that in those cases the ASI starts to look pretty good, if it didn't already.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Apparently the concept of "Halfling with a Druid mount" is space that has been explored (and it owns). Mounted Combatant feat lets you do some fun stuff like never be hit ever again, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
For high damage and always being able to target the enemy, Sharpshooter with either Ranger or Fighter (for Archery Fighting Style), then mix in Rogue.

• Locked thread