Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

* The Assassin Rogue, the Path of the Berserker Barbarian and the Beastmaster Ranger are also kind of bad

Just asking because I'm playing my first D&D and picked the shape shifting Druid over the extra spells when in terrain types if I fall into the same *bad* category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I was invited to DM a few sessions for my semi-regular group this weekend. I had been cooking up an idea for a world and a few initial encounters. I haven't played a ton of D&D before. My group has been doing a little bit of D&D and a little bit of Age of Rebellion over the last 8 or 9 months.

Aside from the cheatsheet, the donjon tools and the goblinist encounter generator, is there anything else that's really super useful for DMing? The thing I'm most afraid of is having to spend a ton of time looking things up. Ease of life tool suggestions would be appreciated.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm letting my friends play whatever race/class combos they wanted and wound up with Dwarf Warlock, Dragonborn Monk and Tiefling Paladin.

I was planning on using story elements to make the warlock's familiar a little more independent, even insubordinate, but giving it low level rogue and cleric class skills just to sort of fill out a toolkit for the party.

Is this generally considered to be alright to do? Am I risking game-breaking stuff later on, as long as I limit the familiar's power creep and motivating contributions?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't scale as fast as the rest of the party. This will give it relevant non-combat tools the party can use, but stops the warlock from essentially having two characters. Since it's a familiar (albeit an insubordinate one), you shouldn't have any problems with stealing the spotlight or getting the DM too involved in party decisions.

The biggest thing is that your players are on board with the idea. If so, it sounds like a cool story idea and a tidy solution to an incomplete party.

I tied it into a cataclysmic event. Dwarf Warlock gets a Fae pact. goes to arcane college to learn how to break it, re-pact with great old ones, causes massive explosion that pulls his "fae anchor spirit"-nee-familiar into the world, so it'll be a bit more autonomous and not entirely subservient since it wasn't summoned using the usual binding ritual. The player loves the idea of being responsible for an event like that, the other members got caught up in the explosion and survived. First session this weekend will be the meeting-up, "we need to get out of here" type event that will bring them together and start forming the party.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I managed to get through the first DM session to generally positive feedback from my friends. They're excited to play again (so they say).

I put their characters into a situation to bring them together, but now I'm trying to think up a hook to keep them together. Other than the "we're all friends and want to keep playing, so we'll follow this weird dwarf around", I want to give them a narrative reason not to just all go their own ways, as they probably logically would.

Does anyone have tips on how to work that sort of thing into their games?

• Locked thread