Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Regarding creating your own monsters:

(This is hacked up information from several different posts I made in the other Next thread)

When I created some monsters for the (other) thread before the MM came out some of the things I did were:
Focus on synergistic abilities,
Give the elite enemies priest buffs to use,
Give some enemy groups a single spell to unleash to make them slightly more interesting.

LFK posted:

The system supports interesting and synergistic monster abilities like 4e, so that part of monster design is still fun.
This is true.
I think the conditions I feel work best in combat are poisoned; frightened; and strangely enough, charmed. Not coincidentally, those are the ones I used in the monsters I created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Do you mean "this group of monsters casts this one spell once in the fight", eg 5 kobolds collectively getting to cast one Web?

Not like "wondertwin powers activate', I was merely trying to come up with a happy medium between one of them being a full caster and none of them having any unique powers.

Although if you were thinking 'wondertwin powers activate' that is a cool idea, but it is not a unique idea. In D&D 3e, there were thunder lizards who could collectively create a lightning bolt, and I know there is an example of that type of power in 13th age as well, I think duergar have it?

Now I sort of want to make a thunder lizard in 5e, but unfortunately I do not have a DMG.

Generic Octopus posted:

I can't think of much off my head that CON is used for besides HP, so you probably could just ditch it and just make hp a function of class pretty much like you say (Fighters get X, Rogues get Y, etc.) while rolling the other functions into STR.

Con is a pretty important save, but if you were going to remove Con, Str would be the place to move it.

Kitchner posted:

My own personal opinion is that generally a short rest should happen when the DM thinks it should, and should last as long as they think it should.

It sounds like you are suggesting that players should be restricted from attempting a short rest when they choose. Perhaps I am misunderstanding. How do you think a DM should determine when short resting is possible? Would the DM inform the players after each encounter whether short resting is allowed?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, you didn't have to write all that. I was only really interested in what your answer was if it was 'yes'.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Now I sort of want to make a thunder lizard in 5e, but unfortunately I do not have a DMG.

Here goes.

(If somebody with the books wants to fix this stuff up for me, that would be good, I'm working from assumptions based on the basic rules.)

GigaLizard*
Small beast
AC 12
HP 20 (6d6)
Speed 30
-
Dex 14
-
Senses Darkvision** 60ft.
Damage Immunity: Lightning
-
Actions
Bite +4, 4 (d6+2) P

Conduct Charge
The Gigalizard produces a up to 60 ft. line of electricity from it's extended neck frills from itself to another Gigalizard or field of Electrofungus.
Creatures that pass through the electricity take 4 (d6+2) lightning damage. (No Save)
The line of electricity remains in place until the Gigalizard moves or takes a different Action.
The Gigalizard may produce up to two lines of electricity at once (over two consecutive turns).

Electrical Discharge (Recharge 6)***
Trigger: If the Gigalizard is adjacent to at least two other Gigalizards it can use this ability.
The Gigalizard shoots a 30ft line of electricity from its extended neck frills that deals 10 (3d6) lightning damage, dex save halves.

Instinct: To defend its 'territory'
Tactics: Gather in groups of 3 in order to use their Discharge power, then spread out to separate invaders using their conduction power
Grouping: Always combine with Electrofungus, at low levels add giant fire beetles or bats instead of multiple Gigalizards

*In consideration of it being 2015, please remember to pronounce Gigalizards starting with a soft g sound.
** Gigalizards lose darkvision if their Action "Electrical Discharge" is not 'charged'.
*** A Gigalizard's 'charge state' is clearly visible to both characters and other Gigalizards.

Electrofungus
Medium sized patch of fine plants?
Creates a 30 ft radius of dim light
Creatures touching or standing in Electrofungus take 2 (d4) lightning damage per turn.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

How do the monster stat blocks from the basic pdf compare to those in the MM? Is there a significant difference between the stat blocks in the MM and the results of creature creation using the DMG rules?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Did the guidelines for fan created content ever get released? I vaguely remember hearing that the would be announced "early in 2015".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lifg posted:

I played a one-off adventure at a con, and one guy summoned 8 wolves, and it was devastating. It looks like a bunch of simple CR 1/4 beasts, but every wolf has a chance to knock its opponent prone, and it significantly altered the battlefield.

Wolves also have packtics which is a supremely powerful passive for low CR creatures.

• Locked thread