Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NameHurtBrain posted:

General tips for character creation and play:

Barbarians:
-The Frenzy Path is not advised. The stacking exhaustion will derail your character fast unless you literally only rage once per day. You may try to convince your DM to remove or at least cap that rule because it makes it unplayable IMO.

I'm playing a Barbarian about to hit 3rd level, so I've been reading the path descriptions pretty carefully. My opinion basically matches yours. Frenzy makes your rage a bit stronger, but it's incredibly debilitating; hopefully you're not also receiving exhaustion for other reasons, otherwise you could be truly hosed. It's also got the same problem that the Fighter's Champion path has: it adds no interesting features to the class and is purely something to take for "I attack" reasons. The whole thing is kind of bullshit, actually; players at level 3 might not have had to deal with exhaustion at all, so they might not realize just how debilitating it is to be at disadvantage to all ability checks, and they might not also realize that a Long Rest only eliminates 1 point of exhaustion. If you use your Fury 3 times during a set of encounters, then you're practically useless until you get about 3 days worth of rest.

The alternative is Path of the Totem Warrior, which either makes you more tanky (Bear), more agile (Eagle), or more of a team player (Wolf). With the Eagle path you can fly for short distances while enraged and you get to use Dash as a bonus action. With the Wolf path you can arbitrarily knock creatures prone when you attack them and you give your allies advantage on attacking any creatures near you. All of these paths also confer some neat out-of-combat capabilities (such as seeing clearly up to a mile away), and you also get some free utility spells (Beast Sense, Speak with Animals, and then later Commune with Nature, all as rituals only). This path give you a lot more flavor and utility, it is arguably just as useful in combat, and you don't have to deal with exhaustion at all.

For further comparison, a 5rd-level barbarian with Frenzy can make 3 attacks (one of which is a bonus action), but then they suffer a point of Exhaustion when their rage ends. A 3rd-level barbarian with Path of the Wolf can only make 2 attacks, but your allies all have advantage against any creature within 5 feet of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Question for anyone with the DMG: What kinds of magical items or item effects are there that are aimed more towards casters?

In my Tuesday game the DM gave all of us weapons that will level up with us, but he's kind of at a loss as to what to do for the Warlock and my Druid. Neither of us really use weapon attacks (or rather, I probably won't starting at 5th level when my cantrips get an extra die of damage). I ended up getting a shotel (reskinned scimitar) and the Warlock got a book (he's a tome warlock). Though if we needed to do something else we could probably retcon it.

I don't suppose there are any items that add +hit/damage to cantrips? That'd be pretty neat, though I suppose not strictly necessary since as a spellcaster I can kind of choose when I get to hog the spotlight.

Any item that gives casters more flexibility is always a good thing. If you give a wizard a Wand of Magic Missile, then that frees up spell slots for other spells (or just more castings of Magic Missile, if that's your thing)

Rod of the Pact Keeper is the warlock equivalent of an enchanted weapon: +1, +2, or +3 to spell attack rolls and and to saving throw DCs of warlock spells. Also lets you regain one warlock spell slot as an action once, an ability that is recharged by a long rest. The +1 variety is only "uncommon". Go nuts. You could arguably make something similar for Druids.

There's the Pearl of Power, which lets you regain a spell slot up to 3rd level once per day. This can be quite useful.

Ring of Protection is a classic, +1 AC is always useful

Ring of Spell Storing is designated "rare", but that's because it's so sweet: it stores up to 5 levels of stored spells. This frees up spell slots like a wand, but the owner gets to choose what goes in to be cast later. You could probably ask your DM for something lower level in order to make the item a little less valuable (maybe up to 3 levels of stored spells for basic utility purposes)

You could also ask for an item that straight up increases an ability score. In 3.5 I recall there were items that set a specific ability to some score like 18 or 19, which makes it a nice boost at lower levels but is something that the player can potentially outgrow.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The DM guide and Monster Manual can be useful for improvisation if you haven't prepared a bunch of extra resources ahead of time or if you don't want to come up up with your own items, encounters, and creatures. For instance, the MM gives you all of the necessary stats, some background, and an idea of how challenging a monster might be for a given party of adventurers. It also gives you a visual aid, usually. This is all really useful. You're paying money to save time, basically.

That said, there are lots of good online resources, and if you have older edition books you can probably repurpose them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, doesn't every class have at least one or more way of casting spells? Even Barbarians and Fighters have some limited spellcasting capabilities

Although, at the same time, I don't feel like the melee classes are completely hosed like they were in 3.5.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Assassin Rogue, Berserker Barbarian are still pretty good classes. Assassin has some cool out of combat stuff and if it can get the drop on some one deals fantastic damage. Berserker is just plain powerful. Though there are big downsides to using it's full power more then once every long rest.

Champion Fighter is rather boring but it still at least does it's job.

Berserker Barbarian: I like the roleplay possibilities of using Intimidating Presence out of combat, and Retaliation basically has no downside and is awesome. But stacking exhaustion from Frenzy is so loving debilitating that it's a feature that you'll probably only be able to use for the final encounter before a long rest (8 hours). It's probably better than taking the Bear Path, but I would argue that Eagle Path offers better roleplaying opportunities and better in-combat positioning capabilities (because you can dash forever), and the Wolf Path's later in-combat capabilities are so good that it probably actually beats the Berserker Barbarian, even if you're fighting alone (because you can knock up to a Large opponent prone every turn as a bonus action so long as you've hit them with an attack that turn)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The great thing about Totem Barb is you can pick different animals at each decision point to suit your taste or the party's needs.

Bingo. The only hard part then is in deciding whether you want to constantly knock enemies prone or if you want to be able to fly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I mean even if you're not TRYING to kill the players. Even if you're a good DM focusing the fighter. If the players don't know what's coming, they might not do the perfectly smart thing. The wizard might not throw out his magic missiles at the first sign of trouble. Players might try to fight the centaur at range (which is a MISTAKE), you drop two arrows into the fighter bringing him down to an average of 12HP- maybe he doesn't pop his Second Wind right away because he doesn't realize that the next turn you're going to charge him and knock him rear end over teakettle. If you hit with both the charge and hooves, HE COULD DIE. He has 34HP to dead and the average of the charge if both attacks hit is THIRTY ONE HIT POINTS. That's the AVERAGE. He could die, turn 2. He could die turn 1 if you charge right away and get a few 6's! The guy whose job it is to take hits dying from a "medium" encounter on turn one because of a bad roll! This is a "medium" encounter for a party of 4 level 2 PCs and the fighter could die with a quirk of the dice just because he didn't pop his Second Wind the moment he took 5 damage.

The Centaur is a good example of something with a hosed up CR. Its melee damage and charge damage is disproportionately strong compared to other CR2 monsters and compared to PCs. 1d10 + 2d6 + 8, plus an additional 3d6 if it charges. This is completely unlike any of the other CR2 monsters, which leads me to believe that it's a misprint; maybe there was going to be some weaker centaur variant that was cut at the last second, or maybe someone just hosed up.

Compare to some of the other CR2 monsters. The Berserker only deals 1d12+3 damage per turn. The Rhinoceros has a 2d8 charge and a single 2d8+5 attack. An Ogre is CR2: 2d8+4 melee, no charge. And none of these fuckers have multiple attacks like the Centaur. All of these are totally within reach of a level 2 party. Take away the Centaur's second attack and it's probably a CR2 creature (on the high end of CR2, but totally possible)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

YOU EARN YOUR XP LIKE GOD GYGAX INTENDED :reject:

Also what's stopping you from having like the same character at multiple levels, so you can play with different level groups?

NO, it has to be as much like a boring MMO as possible: when your character levels that's it, if you want to play lower levels then you have to roll a new character

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

P.d0t posted:

I was just looking at some MC options, and it says you basically combine all your slots together from your spellcasting classes.

So, the Paladin's Divine Smite says you expend one "paladin spell slot" but if you MC with, say, Bard/Warlock/Sorcerer after taking 2 levels of Paladin, would you then end up with a ton more slots you could smite away all the time? There doesn't seem to be any distinction w/r/t slots by class.

Reading the PHB very carefully, spell slots are totally agnostic, but when you multiclass the calculation for spell slots changes.

Here's what the Player's Handbook has to say regarding spell slots and multiclassing

quote:

You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes, and a third of your fighter or rogue levels (rounded down) if you have the Eldritch Knight or the Arcane Trickster feature. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table.

They have a table for spell slots as a function of spellcasting level. If you went Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1, you would only have 2 levels worth of "multiclass spellcaster" slots, which is enough slots for 3 first level spells. But a Paladin 3 also has enough slots for 3 first level spells, so you didn't actually gain any additional Smite casts by multiclassing.

At 10th level, you could be Paladin 10 with 9 (4/3/2) spell slots or you could be Paladin 2 Sorcerer 8 with 14 (4/3/3/3/1) spell slots, so you would technically have more Smite casting opportunities... but poo poo, by that point you may as well just be a Sorcerer.

Regarding pact magic, the book says this:

quote:

Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast w arlock spells you know.

So if you go Warlock/Sorcerer, it really doesn't matter which slots you're using for which spells, according to the rules.

Conspicuously absent is the rule for determining the number of spellcasting slots for a multiclass Warlock. So I guess you just add your Warlock slots to your <spellcasting class> slots, with the knowledge that warlocks gain spellcasting slots pretty slowly (they only have 1 slot at level 1 and then 2 slots until level 11, but the slots themselves become stronger).

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 21, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

Not sure what you mean by a spell slot "holding" a spell.

Sorry, I was thinking in 3e spell preparation terms; just ignore that I said that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So, I played my first rpg/ dnd game in several years last week. DM is running the published adventure for levels 1-7. I rolled a monk. He died in the very first combat. I quickly rerolled a half orc barbarian. It was really fun. I like my character, but reading the class I'm not super interested in playing it. So, I thought I'd just multiclass into moon druid, and it'd be fine.

Looking that over though it seems really good? DM has given me free rein to play whatever I want next session, since I didn't have a lot of time to make a new character. My question is will my barbarian moon druid over shadow the rest of the party (warlock, paladin, bard)? Should I just go straight druid? This is assuming I get the barbarian's unarmored defense ability in wild shape?

I've started a barbarian, too, and the class looks really rad to me. But I wouldn't worry about the other members of your party; I don't think that any class is significantly more powerful than the others. Warlock starts off incredibly strong, for instance. Paladin and Bard are pretty well-rounded and great all around, with Bard having a ton of great features

Others in this thread have said that a Moon Druid is basically the best thing in the game right now, although I'm not really convinced. Only getting 2 wild shapes between short rests is pretty restrictive, but those wild shapes do seem pretty amazing.

I think you might be right about the Moon Druid / Barbarian synergy... unarmored defense would be a class feature, right? So at level 6 you can turn into one of those dinosaurs in the DMG and add your new shape's Constitution modifier to its AC?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 21, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jimmeeee posted:

Moon Druids are considered so strong because they are enormous damage sponges. At level 3 they can turn into a Brown Bear twice per fight, functionally giving them an extra 68 HP (albeit with slightly lower AC). On top of that, in Brown Bear form they have access to muti-attack two whole levels before fighters do. Plus, they're full casters! Moon Druids are absolutely nuts.

If by "twice you fight" you mean "twice between short rests" then yes. But yeah, those forms are pretty insane. And at later levels you can stay in the form for so long that you probably only need to use it once before you wind up taking a short rest.

I guess that the only downside is that a Brown Bear can't really wear any equipment (unless maybe if you have a really awesome DM who will at least let you wear a cloak as a bear), so any magic items and the like won't be usable. Still pretty awesome though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 21, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there a way to somehow get more than one bonus action per turn?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been loving 5e, it feels like a more balanced version of 3.5 so far but is mechanically very similar.

The CR stuff isn't as bad as you may have heard; there are many noteworthy examples where a creature's CR is outright wrong, but there are also a lot of monsters with appropriate CR values. We're not even using gradenko's changes, most of the lower tier CR stuff has been just fine for our group (but we didn't fight a Centaur, which is way too powerful for CR 2). As a DM, you just have to review the choices carefully rather than pulling monsters out of a hat

I also wouldn't worry too much about poorly-chosen proficiencies:
1) Under the "Working Together" rules, two characters with the same proficiency can help each other in accomplishing a single task. One character gives the other advantage on the roll, or just +5 if that character takes a Help action during combat. This means that a Rogue with Arcana could help the party's Wizard by giving him advantage on Arcana checks. Being able to help does not require that the helping character roll anything; in the previous example, the Rogue could have -3 Intelligence modifier, but it wouldn't matter for helping purposes.

2) Proficiency bonuses are pretty small, for a low level D&D campaign it will probably never go above +3. It's not really a deal breaker. If you think that this group is going to go into higher levels, offer some coaching if the skill choices are truly bizarre

3) Most of the important proficiency choices are done for you anyway! Armor and Weapon proficiencies are tied to your class choice, and you can usually only choose from a subset of relevant skills for class proficiencies (noteworthy exception: Bards). That at least gives the players a solid position to start from. Yeah, if they choose a bunch of "gaming" tool proficiencies they're probably hindering themselves for no reason, so maybe point that out if they decide to do this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slippery42 posted:

I finally took Find Familiar with my wizard, originally envisioning it as a surveillance drone that doesn't cost me a spell slot. In practice, it seems ridiculously more versatile than that, and I now feel like a complete idiot for waiting until level 11 to take it. Just how much other stuff can a familiar do?

In combat:
-Does communicating orders to a familiar require any sort of action or bonus action? I don't see any in the spell description, but the 7th level ranger/beastmaster ability specifies that a bonus action is required for them to do the same thing with their animal companion. One would assume that a level 1 spell shouldn't be strictly better than a level 7 class feature, but wizard supremacy...

Since your communication is telepathic, and the Familiar is actually some kind of celestial or whatever, I don't think that it would require a bonus action or an action. I have no idea why the Ranger's beast companion requires a full action just to command it to do something other than move; that makes it a pretty dumb class feature, in my opinion.

quote:

-The spell description says a familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal. This includes "help", correct?

I think so, yes. But since that requires being adjacent to an enemy, that puts the familiar at risk.

quote:

-On the "help" action in combat, does the creature taking that action have to end its turn within 5 feet of the target? Or could I command my owl to swoop in on an enemy, use "help" to give our paladin advantage on his next swing, and then fly to safety while avoiding opportunity attacks via "flyby"?

The Help action:

"Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally’s attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack roll is made with advantage."

This strongly implies that moving away from the creature ends the Help action.

quote:

Outside of combat:
-Given the "Working Together" rules, my familiar could theoretically assist on some skill checks, right? I could command my owl to hoot if it notices anything, and that'd be effectively asking for permanent advantage on perception checks. It wouldn't make sense for a familiar to help with most other skills (what does an owl know about history, for example), but considering how often perception checks seem to come up, that's still really powerful.

You can only "Work Together" or "Help" with actions if you both have that proficiency, and it only applies for completing tasks. So you can't use it to boost a Perception check, and you can't use it to simply help someone else move stealthily, but you can use it conceal something with a sleight of hand check. An owl does have Perception proficiency, but it doesn't provide you with a Perception advantage.

That said, you can set the Owl on watch, and if it passes a Perception check then it can hoot. No problem there. An Owl only has Perception and Stealth proficiency, nothing else, so it can't help you with a History check

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

overseer07 posted:

Not really seeing an issue there. Compelled duel says it needs to make a check to move away from you. It doesn't say there's any negative effect if you move away from it.

Yeah you can do both... there just won't be much point, since Abjure Enemy covers everything that Compelled Duel covers plus a lot more

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

The only benefit I see now is with duel, you can pull someone out of an area, potentially separating a leader from a healer or something.

compelled duel doesn't necessarily do that, though. The creature can keep standing right next to the healer, unless the healer moves to be more than 30 feet from you. The opponent may move toward you, since you're the only one that it won't have disadvantage against, but that's not guaranteed. And nothing stops the healer from moving with the leader

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So, Draconic Sorcerers gets an AC of 13 + Dex. If you start as a Barbarian and multiclass into a sorcerer, would you have an AC of 13 + Dex + Con?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

Grappling in general is not very good in 5e as all it does is reduce the target's speed to 0, and the Grappler feat causes you to also grant advantage if you use it's pinning feature; you're much better off inflicting Stun with Monk or Frightened with Fighter.

For items there's nothing that specifically helps grappling or unarmed, really; Gauntlets of Power make your Str equal 19 which would help if you're finding your stats spread thin and is uncommon, as is the cloak mentioned above. Bracers of Defense are rare however.

It's important to remember that in 5e, unlike previous editions, grappling is only inflicted on the target, not yourself. The target's move speed is 0, but you're free to drag them along wherever. This is potentially awesome. There's also the potential to knock a dude prone with a shove and then grappling them; prone gives everyone next to the target advantage (disadvantage at range), and you can't get rid of the prone condition if your speed is 0. Could be extremely useful depending on the situation

The grappling feat is totally poo poo, though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 24, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The grapple rules are almost a direct port from 4e, and they weren't great there either aside from a niche build of fighter. And as in 4e, it's not so much that "grappling is bad" as it is "everything else you have at your disposal is better, so it's not very good in comparison."

If you find yourself needing to grapple/prone something though, better off using Open Hand Technique than Shove so you get some damage.

The rules don't actually have anything to cover that scenario, so it's up to your table. In 4e when you moved you could slide the target 1 square to a square adjacent to you for every square of movement you took, but not actually pivot/rotate its position like that.

Many melee subclasses don't have an ability that does something akin to grapple, or if they do then it requires some limited resource. A barbarian, for instance, only has grapple as a foe stopper (as well as an optional prone-applying subclass ability, but that's at 17th level, and you have to forego two other really great abilities!)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trast posted:

Are there any feats that you guys think are under powered or don't really work as intended?

The worst offender has to be Grappler. Having advantage on attack rolls against creatures with which you are grappling is great, but you can use a Push action to get the same benefit. Restrained is just weird, since you're also inflicting the condition on yourself, so it's really only good if you're going 1v1 (in which case you can still just Push them). The third effect actually does nothing, since you can already grapple with creatures one size larger than you

Weapon Master also seems dubious; you're giving up an ability point for 4 weapon proficiencies.

Skilled seems underpowered. I think 2 skills + an ability point or maybe just 4 skills would be more appropriate

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well sense also dictates that if you push someone your grappling you are no long grappling them, because you pushed them. Restrained is fine you have allies to take advantage of it and no opponents to take advantage of you having the same condition.

But yeah the feat needs work.

Not going by a literal reading of the rules; shove either knocks a creature prone or moves it away from you, not both. But even if you want to rule it that way, you can Shove an enemy prone and then Grapple them in the same turn. Once you've got them Prone and Grappled, they're basically stuck that way until they can break your Grapple. This is basically the same as Pinning but you don't have to give up 2 ability points to do it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

That why I said sense dictates it. It's not really covered in the rules. But I don't think you can shove an enemy prone and grapple them in the same turn. They both cost an action don't they?

They each cost an attack, not an action. Note that this actually makes Shove + Grapple the more economical move if you have at least 2 attacks, since Pinning requires an entire action (IE, 1 attack + 1 action vs 2 attacks)

slydingdoor posted:

Grappler isn't a trap feat. Advantage and immobilizing something is great. The last thing it does is weird, though. Nowhere else it is mentioned that a grappled target larger than the grappler normally automatically succeeds at grapple escapes. The pinning is going to be a sideways move most of the time. It's not super bad defensively, because since releasing a grapple is not an action you can just let go if something targets you while you're restrained and you don't want to give it advantage on the attack or have DA on a save or whatever. That a sideways move costs an action and takes a check is pretty lame, especially since if want that advantage that the feat gave you on attacks back (it's canceled out by your DA on attacks from being restrained yourself) you have to let go and grab the thing again, which is more actions down the drain.

It would be a great feat if you needed it to immobilize things, but you don't; the Grappling attack already immobilizes things without the Grappler feat. The feat only grants you attack advantage and the Pinning move. But I do agree with everything that you said on the Pinning movie; overall it's kind of a lovely feature, since you're giving up the ability to move the target and you're losing attack advantage in exchange for making the target a little more susceptible for your buddies. But in most circumstances you could accomplish the same thing by just shoving and then grappling. The whole Pinning thing is just a terrible waste of an action, it seems

So if you agree that Pin is a lateral move at best, then really you're just gaining advantage on attack rolls while grappling. You get this instead of 2 ability points. It might be an okay feat if Pin was an attack instead of an action, if the third part of the feat actually did something (seriously, that has to be a misprint), and maybe if the feat gave +1 Strength. A new type of not-great attack and advantage on attacks while grappling? Yeah, I might be able to justify spending one ability point on that, but not two.

quote:

"Why not just shove things prone if you want advantage" is valid mostly, but more things are immune (Swarms and oozes) or resistant (quadripeds) to prone than grapple. You can grapple a swarm. You can also grapple when poo poo is really going bad and you're blind or something and don't want it to just stand up and walk away.

Even if you have a DM who would let you grapple a swarm (wtf?) or an ooze (wouldn't that cause you to be engulfed?), taking the grappling feat doesn't actually help you grapple things. In 99% of situations it's better to just shove and then grapple, which grants all of the same advantages as the feat but without costing a feat.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 28, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you really want to start examining feats that immobilize things, I think the best choice is Sentinel. Consider the scenario where you really need to keep one guy locked down. Grappling is what you should do in this situation, but the Grappler feat doesn't help you with grappling checks, it just makes you more likely to attack successfully while already grappling. Even the Pin action doesn't actually further restrain the target, it just makes your friends more likely to hit the target. Sentinel doesn't help you with grappling checks, either, but if he escapes then it does give you a chance to knock the guy's movement to 0, and there's nothing that he can do about it without teleporting or being one of the rare creatures that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity or having some ungodly AC

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sentinel only lets you lock down one guy, because it costs your reaction. I don't think that's enough to prevent an entire group from fleeing, or an entire group to focus fire when they otherwise wouldn't

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

"A flying monster when the party is pretty bad at hitting flying monsters" is, I would imagine, an incredibly common encounter-balance problem, and the onus shouldn't be on the DM to detect that as a potential problem, but rather on the writers of the module to give the DM an out by officially stating, within the book, to modify the encounter if needed.

But that should go without saying! The DM is the mediator between the system and the players. It's going to be impossible to write a module that is suitable for every party composition.

What if a party is really lovely at dealing with melee opponents? Should modules not include monsters with melee attacks, either?

quote:

I mean, we figured it out, why didn't the writers? Why would the writers assume that a newbie DM would know that he's allowed to go outside the boundaries of the written book, AND that the newbie DM is going to be able to modify the encounter "appropriately"?

They would assume that a newbie DM would at least read the DM's guide, which explicitly states that the DM is in total control and should modify encounters so that they're appropriate for the players.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 1, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've always been kind of disappointed with all of the existing dice apps, so I've been working on my own. If you just need something that rolls d20s they pretty much all do that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, I'd say Bard

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It might be better to have a high natural intelligence rather than a high natural strength. If you find yourself without your equipment, I'd rather be a wizard with low strength than a wizard with low intelligence.

Keep in mind the various rules of spellcasting. Cloud of Daggers requires Concentration, so it can be dropped due to damage; shouldn't be much of a problem with your Con score. And you also can't have two Concentration spells up at once, meaning that you can't have Haste and Cloud of Daggers up at the same time; this is particularly bad if you used Haste to move into position, since you lose a turn once Haste ends.

As far as spells go, it seems like you're unsure of whether you want to be a sword-wielding wizard or a wizard who happens to have a high strength value. If you want to basically be an awesome Fighter Wizard then you should probably grab Longstrider and Mirror Image

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mirror Image is one of those spells that is just deceptively, incredibly good for its spell level. Back when I played a sorcerer in 3.5 it was one of the first things that I'd cast if it looked like combat was going to be serious

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If your group is fun and your dm is competent then you'll be fine, but be aware that a lot of old grognards are saying that the fighter is lovely and that casters are overpowered. Won't matter if you have a cool group, although from a role playing standpoint barbarians are more rad

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, if you really want to be a battlefield control melee character then barbarians seem to be the new sexiness. You can just use a one hander with the Sentinel feat plus grappling constantly to keep control of a small number of enemies, not as effective as a caster could but still really well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Got killed in my 5th edition game last night, so was looking at making a sorcerer bard, end goal something like 14/6 or 12/8

My reading of the sorcerer rules is I can pick up spells of levels for which I get slots (am I wrong?) so does it make sense to go something like: Bard, Sorcerer, Sorcerer, Bard, Sorcerer then alternate picking up Bard at even levels and sorcerer at odd levels. I'd hold the (5th and) 6th level of bard back for the magic secrets feature.

Probably Wild Magic sorcerer + lore bard.

Is that a correct reading of the rules, and is that a sensible leveling plan?

More specifically, when you learn a new Sorcerer spell (by gaining a Sorcerer level) that spell can be of any level for which you have slots, which is going to be multiclass full caster slots in your case.

I don't see any problem with your leveling plan but I don't really see any advantage to it, either, unless you're going for specific class features, so go nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

How badly does a 16 matter in your primary stat? I'm starting my first 5e game ever with intent to play a fighter, and I don't immediately hate the game, but I do miss the ability score bonus coming from both class and race, since I want to be a tiefling.

It's pretty drat important

• Locked thread