Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
If you can justify it, apply the Rule of Cool and let the person use the skill they want. Why penalize the Silent Zorro just because he chose to drop Charisma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Well because you may have someone in the group who took high charisma and boosted their persuasion/deception/intimidate skills at the expense of their combat ability only for you to say to the combat guy "Yeah it's cool you don't need high charisma or anything to intimidate that guy" .

I suppose. I agree that it would suck if you have characters stepping on each others' toes, but at the same time I feel like it's not much of a problem. The high-Cha character is going to have many more situations where he can use his intimidation, and he doesn't need a justification for how it works for the most part.

This is another reason for DTAS, or at least decoupling combat choices from out-of-combat choices.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

All I want to know is how to use the 5E MM to quickly assemble a collection of monsters that won't kill my players' characters but will put up a medium-to-difficult fight. As it is the rugby team I manage as a player-coach gets our butts kicked almost every game; doing the same in my inchoate DM career would prove I am a failure at both sports and dorkdom.

If you run stock monsters you'll have some issues with special abilities and spells. Basically, carefully consider what an average combat looks like against whatever enemy you are going to run. Think about stuff like 'if these kobolds get a bit lucky, what does a turn's worth of damage look like?'. If you're running mostly solo monsters then you shouldn't be too worried. At low levels you may have some issues, since lucky shots from some monsters can insta-kill most players, but past level 3 or so I wouldn't be particularly afraid unless you're hitting low-hp players. The CR guidelines aren't great, but you should get within 'not awful' distance pretty consistently.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Kitchner posted:

The sad thing is I honestly believe you that you don't see the difference between saying you think something doesn't work, or that you simply disagree with someone, and what you do.

I don't understand what's wrong with saying What this person said is wrong, and this is why/how. If a bunch of people give conflicting advice, I find it extremely helpful when they explain why some of the advice is wrong, especially if they give specific examples.

• Locked thread