Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I'm playing a character focusing on grappling and unarmed strike, mixing Totem Barbarian, Open-Hand Monk and Battle-Master Fighter. I don't use weapons and armor due to Monk/Barbarian features. What are some good magic items to support this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I've been focusing on strength for the athletics bonus, and the general idea is just to move things around in combat and prevent them from coming out of prone via the speed reduction caused by grappling. I've already played one session where I jumped into a hole after an Ankheg, dragged it out into the open and flipped it over. The effectiveness of grappling is directly proportional to how many pits and cliffs your DM puts into the environment.

EDIT: One situation I have been curious about is how exactly moving something around while grappling works. If I wanted to move a grappled target from one side of my character to the other while not moving myself, would I spend movement to swing the target around? If so, would it cost 15' to move an enemy diagonally twice, or just 10' to move it directly through my own square?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Even if you have a DM who would let you grapple a swarm (wtf?) or an ooze (wouldn't that cause you to be engulfed?), taking the grappling feat doesn't actually help you grapple things. In 99% of situations it's better to just shove and then grapple, which grants all of the same advantages as the feat but without costing a feat.

30.5 Days posted:

I think it's safe to say that anything which cannot be proned cannot be pinned.

Condition immunity to grappled/restrained is already in the book, ghosts and shades have it. Stuff that can't be knocked prone usually just doesn't have a 'prone' state (If you flip a gelatinous cube upside down, it doesn't care) but you can still grab it. In fact, as written, grappling is very effective against gelatinous cubes; the cube's Engulf action requires it to move into a target's square, and grappled creatures can't move.

The Grappler feat is pretty bad though, and Tavern Brawler loses most of its value if you have a single monk level. If Grappler just had "expertise on Athletics checks that involve grappling" I'd consider it to be worth a slot, but as of now I'd rather have Mobile than either of the two grappling feats on a character built specifically to grapple things, and that seems terrible.

Regarding ranged options for monks, there's always the comedy option of throwing yourself at the target. Step of the Wind (Dash) combined with the Jump spell or Boots of Striding and Springing will let you jump six times as far as normal, which is 18' straight up with another 6' extra per point of strength modifier. If you're dealing with flying creatures, applying grappled/prone/stunned will knock it down.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

In a situation like that, someone should be grounding the flying target, potentially even the monk. At level 9 you can run up vertical walls, and probably convince a DM to let you long-jump off of it. Failing all of that in an open-air environment, there are a few low-rarity magic items that grant flight.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Every class uses the same language. The section Red Metal quoted is from the section about multiclassing, which overrides everything. Multiclassing as a spellcaster trades away access to higher-level spells for more spell variety.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, you could use every spell slot you have casting Cure Wounds if you wanted to. I prefer the way things scale with slot levels rather than having a handful of different "Cure [Severity] Wounds" spells, it's just a little rough that some spells have no scaling built into them.

War Caster, and Resilient are always very powerful choices, but if you're focusing on support, the best choice I can think of would be Ritual Caster (Wizard). Getting Find Familiar at first level is worth a feat slot by itself in my opinion, but you'll be able to get some other cool stuff later on.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

There are magic items with effects that require concentration anyway, and you don't need arcane knowledge to drink a potion.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Favored Soul is really strong because it lets you grab armor and shield proficiency without sacrificing caster levels, while also getting access to spells you normally wouldn't as a Charisma based spellcaster from the domain spells. Healing in 5e is very weak unless you're bringing someone back up from the ground with it, because all it does is burn your action to negate the attacker's action. Command (which is available via the knowledge domain) is a much stronger example of damage prevention, which also has narrative and offensive applications.

Sorcerer/Warlock has always been an incredibly strong combination, especially if your sorcerer levels are from Favored Soul, as the other sorcerer archetypes don't multiclass as well. Just three levels of sorcerer gets you access to a list of 0th/1st/2nd level spells that warlocks wouldn't normally have access to, as well as two kinds of metamagic. Metamagic types are always selected from the same pool with no level requirements on them, so additional selections after the first two are much lower value, as you start scraping the bottom of the barrel. Being low on sorcerer levels means that you'll have a lower maximum number of sorcery points, but warlock pact slots let you reliably fill your pool back up with a resource that recovers on short rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Actually, rangers can reach that amount of damage without bonus action attacks. It's all about the Sharpshooter feat when it comes to ranged damage.

Most people assume that, on average, monsters will have a bonus to their AC that gives players a 60% chance to hit if their primary ability score modifier starts at +3 and increases from ASIs at levels 4 and 8. The archery fighting style gives a +2 bonus to attack rolls, and Sharpshooter gives a +10 damage bonus in exchange for a -5 attack bonus. This means that a level 5 archery ranger that uses Sharpshooter on every attack (as they usually should) has a 5% chance to critically hit, a 40% chance to hit (not including crit chance), and a 55% chance to miss. Assuming 18 Dexterity from the first ASI and Hunter's Mark being used on the target, you can multiply the average damages by their probabilities to find that a single attack will deal an average of 8.55 damage from just the longbow and Sharpshooter, 1.75 damage from Hunter's Mark, and once per turn, Colossus Slayer will deal an average of 2.25 damage. All together, that's 22.85 damage per round with non-magical gear and no external assistance or preparation.

A battle master fighter (or someone with levels in it) will wind up outpacing the ranger in damage because of the Precision Attack maneuver offsetting the penalty of Sharpshooter even further. Sharpshooter is more of a character class than a feat, really.

• Locked thread