Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Frush posted:

Ah, this explains so much. I've been so busy with life and prepping stuff as DM that I haven't taken a good look into how all (any, really) the character classes work, and I've told the players to know their own rules since I don't have the ability to babysit six of them.

Neither of them (there are actually two rangers in the group, one hunter and one beastmaster. I know, right?) are doing any of these things. Both are literally just auto attacking. Heck, the beast master took the dual wielding stuff, but is so concerned about keeping her beast alive she just started using a bow and plinking away with no bonuses.

No wonder the party is getting rolled by stuff. No healers, wizard and sorcerer only use firebolt ever (because the sorcerer's wild magic kills them more often than enemies, and the wizard is a necromancer who doesn't really have any necromancy spells yet, I'm probably going to reskin some old ones for him), rangers are doing literally a third of the damage they should be by not paying attention, the monk has been rolling so badly the party just forced him to go buy new dice, etc. The fighter is on his game, but there's only so much he can do with how nerfed they got since 4th edition, and with the slow killing rate from the others he spends a little more time at single digit health than he should be through no fault of his own.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go through every character class they're playing, and start giving advice on how to upgrade the damage. I guess 5e wouldn't be quite as lethal if they were tripling their damage output.

Alternatively, you as DM could scale back the encounters. It isn't actually your job to get the players to play optimally. It IS your job to provide balanced and fun encounters, and if your party is coming in low on the damage scale then you should tweak things on your end. Drop monster HP or ACs. Throw in fewer thugs, "forget" to use some legendary powers or spells. The age of the competitive RPG tournament is pretty much over. The point isn't to make them better at game math, it's to have a good time. If your players are enjoying themselves playing sub-optimally, so what? It's not like that's going to keep you from making it to Regionals.

Now if they ask you for help with the math or their classes, or are frustrated by feeling ineffectual? Sure, give 'em some help. But if they're cool with the way they're doing things, it's on you to adjust to them, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

They've got an Elf variant (Eladrin) in the DMG in the section about how to make your own race that gets a Misty Step every Short Rest.

• Locked thread