Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I was hoping for some notes on a homebrew Barbarian archetype, a dex-based whirling dervish type. Right thread for that? I looked at a few versions of the idea on other forums but I didn't like the way they looked, so I just threw something together cribbing features from other parts of the PHB. Just wondering if anything was particularly overpowered or pointless. In particular I was thinking the character might work out as simply too hard to kill.

quote:

Path of the Dervish

Dancer
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Acrobatics, and you may substitute Acrobatics for any Performance check related to dancing.

Two-Weapon Fighter
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. You also gain +1 AC when using a weapon in either hand, and you can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

Martial Trance
At 3rd level, instead of raging, you may choose to enter a martial trance. In battle you fight fluidly and instinctively in a whirl of blades, as if dancing. On your turn, you can enter a martial trance as a bonus action.
While in a trance, you gain the following benefits if you are unarmored and using a finesse weapon in each hand:
  • You have advantage on acrobatics and athletics checks, enemy attacks of opportunity against you have disadvantage, and you can dash as a bonus action on your turn.
  • When you make a melee weapon attack using dexterity, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the barbarian table.
  • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while in a trance.
Your trance lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your trance on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have tranced the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can trance again.

Reckless Attack
When you make a reckless attack, you can apply the advantage to melee attack roles using dexterity as well as strength.

Altered Consciousness
Beginning at 6th level, you can't be charmed or frightened while in a trance. If you are charmed or frightened when you enter a trance, the effect is suspended for the duration of the trance.

Exceptional Agility
Beginning at 10th level, if you are unarmored and not using a shield, you may use the evasion and uncanny dodge abilities from the rogue ability list.
When an attacker you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.
You can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area affects, such as a red dragon's fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the save throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Fluid Attacks
Beginning at 14th level, while in a martial trance you may attack twice, instead of once, each time you use your bonus action to make an attack with your off-hand weapon. In addition, while in a trance you may increase the damage die of any finesse weapon with the light property by one step (i.e. d4 to d6, d6 to d8).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Honestly that derv is probably fine, it's just yet another class/archetype that eclipses the Fighter and Rogue.

Sure, the barbarian as written in the PHB already does that. I was just looking at an alternative theme for a barbarian aside from hitting stuff with a huge axe. I guess a more appropriate question would be whether it's dramatically better or worse than the barbarian paths already in the PHB--the totem warrior and berserker.

Frush posted:

The way I see it you've essentially got it figured that no armor means twice the hits for twice the damage, so you're hoping that resistances will put that back where to should be.

My expectation was actually kind of the opposite, I think a character with these features would be trading damage potential for survivability and versatility compared to other barbarian paths. Barbarians get unarmored defense to add their dex and con bonuses to AC when unarmored. Conversely, damage from dual wielding scales poorly in comparison with great weapons after you get your extra attacks, but a great weapon user is forgoing dexterity to pump strength. Being dex-based, this guy can get the most out of the unarmored defense feature, and he has better options as far as sneaking out of combat or using ranged weapons.

Ryuujin posted:

The problem isn't that this dex based Dervish is potentially too strong, the problem is the Barbarian uses Con+Dex for AC instead of Str+Con.

More or less.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Then leave the rest alone. Don't give them a bunch of Dex synergy, and the good defensive moves from rogue, and an AC bonus from a feat for free. If someone really wants that stuff, they can buy the feats and multiclass.

ok, thanks, that's very helpful

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lamquin posted:

So currently in my party we have the charismatic Sorcerer, the dexterous sneaky Monk and me, the strong Barbarian. We're fairly even in combat, but I'm in need of some advice what I can bring outside of it. The obvious thing mentioned in the Players handbook is "You can lift a heavy object!", but I don't expect that scenario to come up a lot. Any advice or outside the box thinking on what I can do with my 20 strength? I don't need anything detailed, but some pointers in the right direction would be lovely. :shobon:

grapple with people. at level 6 bear totem gives you advantage on strength checks to break things, grapple a guy and ask your DM if you can roll a strength contest to horribly break his limbs

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lamquin posted:

That's actually... a great idea, not only for out of combat but also combat. I completely blanked on grapple being a thing, and this guide someone has written seems to explain it really well. Thanks for the tip!

Whoops, didn't notice you were looking specifically for out-of-combat stuff. Barbarians honestly aren't given a lot to work with. Pretty much all your class features are explicitly combat related and if you knew what you were doing at character creation you dumped your stats that relate to social skills and knowledge. You're really good at breaking objects! :confuoot:

I would definitely suggest negotiating with your DM on some things. For example, ask if you can use strength instead of charisma on intimidation or performance checks. Impress villagers by bending iron bars and picking up a whole wagon over your head.

• Locked thread