Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

gradenko_2000 posted:

houserules snipped

I really like how those house rules sound. How much play testing have you put into them?

Speaking from the experience as a player new to table top and D&D our group did run into situations as level ones where lucky crits ended up putting us into some difficult situations. I am playing a cleric and was able to keep us upright while some creative game play turned things back in our favor. Having hit points equal to the level one max combined with our CON score would have helped out for sure. As the cleric I'm not the group's dps source but getting to swing my war hammer or use my cantrip nuke instead of healing would have shaved some combat rounds.

The short rests being five minutes instead of an hour is also interesting. Our DM and our rogue are both old school experienced players so they've been really helpful in learning for my brother, the paladin, and I. So while we are using the one hour short rest we learned quickly to be aware of what was going on around us. On both short and long rests we'll make a point to set watches, put out improvised noise makers, etc.

Also regarding the house rule of five minute short rests what happen to thing like the cleric/paladin channel divinity abilities? For example where I am now I have two channel divinities: turn undead and guided strike. Guided strike gives me a plus ten to my hit roll if I announce its usage before the DM declares a hit or miss. Did you find that being able to reset those abilities every two to three encounters made these abilities too powerful or raised their usefulness? I have caught myself holding onto my channel divinity waiting for a big encounter and ended up not using it.

Converting hit dice to reserve points is also a nice idea. It really sucks to roll a one or a two on a hit dice when you need healing. We already roleplayed hit dice as time we took to apply bandages, etc. So now it would just be bandages that don't immediately fall off and burst into flames. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

ImpactVector posted:

Once every 2-3 fights is actually about how often you're supposed to be able to short rest by the book. I think the official guideline is "twice per day between long rests", but if you're not getting that then you're behind the curve. The 5 minute length is just to make it more likely to hit that number.

E: To be fair to your GM though, 1 hour short rests are really hard to fit into the narrative. In both my groups I think we're averaging 0-1 per day in actual play, so it's not just you guys.

In my GM's defense our group has an amazing ability to get ourselves into trouble or prolonged running battles. It turns out our rogue is really into stabbing things while I am trying to talk out a situation. I'm going to bring those suggested house rules up to him and the group and see what they think.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

What are some creative applications for low level spells you all have seen in your play time? I know a story about a goon playing a druid using heat metal to kill a Roper by feeding it a corpse with armor on it then heating the armor up from inside. I thought that was hilarious and really creative.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

:lol: That is great. So the DM has to play that as the enemies seeing a huge energy barrier and not knowing what the gently caress is going on? (I assume the player and DM discussed the viability beforehand.)

ImpactVector posted:

Question for anyone with the DMG: What kinds of magical items or item effects are there that are aimed more towards casters?

In my Tuesday game the DM gave all of us weapons that will level up with us, but he's kind of at a loss as to what to do for the Warlock and my Druid. Neither of us really use weapon attacks (or rather, I probably won't starting at 5th level when my cantrips get an extra die of damage). I ended up getting a shotel (reskinned scimitar) and the Warlock got a book (he's a tome warlock). Though if we needed to do something else we could probably retcon it.

I don't suppose there are any items that add +hit/damage to cantrips? That'd be pretty neat, though I suppose not strictly necessary since as a spellcaster I can kind of choose when I get to hog the spotlight.

That is a good question and would also like to hear about how to solve it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I think Cantrips count as spells if it says "+3 to hit with spells" but I'm not sure though.

The difficulty with the caster based magic items is balancing them against magic swords and poo poo because casters can already be way stronger than say a fighter, for example. Like if your group is playing with 5 minute short rests or you're just allowed to rest a lot in general between encounters then maybe your casters are already killing the poo poo out of anything and everything so maybe the main reason you need something magic is for a lot point.

The caster items to me seem to be a mix of "yeah it's OK I guess" and "loving SHAZAM mother fucker!" in terms of power with not much inbetween. So it may be worth just having custom magic items that mimic the weapons (e.g. If all their weapons give +2 to hit and to damage with melee attack then have a staff that does the same with your spells).

Any DM worth their salt should make a player yell SHAZAM if that is how the weapon is described.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

One of my group brings a vinyl sheet with a grid on it and it is very useful for dungeon crawling and battles in general.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Well it came across as a guy was like "What are these lizard men wearing"

To which the response was "Oh not much, just loin cloths".

The guy then, stupidly, said "Yeah well I'm going to look under them".

Which got "You see lizard dicks"

Then I asked him if I could harvest them to sell to simple village folk as aphrodisiacs and he said I could try to do it, so hence why my inventory has "Bag of lizard cocks" in it.

Down the road I hope this thread becomes "D&D Next Advice Thread: Follow the rules or end up with a bag of lizard cocks."

In regards to the swarm of zombie event we had a bear of an encounter with them during our last game night. The GM kept rolling so high it was triggering the zombie's ability to not die and reset to 1hp. Lucky it was a pretty controlled situation where we had them bottle necked.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ScaryJen posted:

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if it holds up in 5th edition, but one trick we used to do was cast silence on weapons (melee or arrows/bolts) instead of casters and then attack casters with them. It has like a 15' radius or something, and the items don't get a saving throw. Works for non-caster situations too if you want to stop goblins from raising an alarm or something.

I've actually used that already. It wasn't an arrow that I used though it was a copper coin. I cast silence on it and wing it at the bad guys or give it to the rogue so he can make with the stabbing in peace. It's a great suggestion regardless.

We also came up with an environmentally friendly and far less flammable light source then oil lanterns. Since two character in the party have the light cantrip we pop it on a coin and toss it in a shaded lantern. That way we can douse it quickly or focus it as needed.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Old tricks are the best tricks. Casting light spells on coinage has been a thing since at least 1st edition AD&D, since a coin is the perfect combination of size, weight, and disposability for a continual light spell.

3.x got away from this by changing the fluff to a flame that never goes out but doesn't consume the torch or light anything else on fire.

We used to rig up a hooded lantern to mount a coin instead of a wick.

Yeah I figured it was old school because there was no way we were the first to come up with it. Still the DM was happy we thought of it as it showed we were actually playing the game and not just treating it like a PC mmo.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Can't top casting light on a squirrel that belonged to the druid. Looking back, casting it on an animal probably wasn't allowed but gently caress it, we had fun and didn't break anything with it.

Our rogue was being an rear end in a top hat to some DM controlled characters belonging to my Cleric's temple so I cast light on his clothing so he couldn't sneak around stealing poo poo. DM got a kick out of it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kitchner posted:

You can do that if they fail a dexterity save.

As for the squirrel I'm not sure you can just make a glowing squirrel, but if you put a collar on it you can do that.

He rolled a three, Tyr be praised.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Can anyone speak about the 5e monk? I like what I have read in the PHB so far but had a few questions about them. For instance is the elemental branch (aka Avatar mode) limited to picking four of their ki abilities or can they swap through the sixteen total skills available after a long rest similar to a cleric or other divinely powered character? If it is the former that seems really limiting to be stuck with only four elemental abilities the entire life of the monk. Also did I read right that unarmed damage for them starts at 1d4 and then through the martial arts ability it will ramp up in power as you level? I assume you can dual wield your unarmed attacks like a one-two punch combo and still use your bonus strike. Finally would grappling be to the advantage of a monk with good strength? Being able to clinch up and put an enemy at a disadvantage would be nice to use mechanically and as a role play aspect. Thai clinch knees are murder let me tell you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Both these posts cleared up a lot for me. I think my confusion about unarmed strike came from checking out some monk profiles that might have been older and had unarmed strike listed as dual wielding. How you both broke down the attacks fixed that. The advice to go short swords until martial arts boosts to 1d6 was also good. When it finally does hit 1d6 I'm looking forward to punching faces.

It is disappointing that the elemental discipline is made like that. Being able to swap out techniques would be more useful and entertaining. Mind you I am saying this as someone who is a fan of the Avatar/Korra series so wanting to punch someone AND light them on fire at the same time has a real appeal.

In regards to the grappling that was just me trying to think of good ways to add flavor to combat. I'm an MMA fan and clinch fighting can be very punishing. Maybe down the road or through suggestions from players they could add mechanics for monk clinch fighting. Though I suppose that doesn't stop me from roleplaying during combat something along the lines of "I grab the orc in a tight clinch, striking his midsection with high knees then breaking away." It sounds more interesting then "I punch the orc."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Yeah, totes flavor it however you like. And to address E. Monks again, it's not like they're bad, just wonky compared to the other options Monk has. Open Hand and Shadow are pretty front-loaded, giving you good stuff from the start and then giving you yet more stuff later, while Elemental doles out a handful of effects over the entire progression.

Point is though, even as an E. Monk, you're still a Monk, and they're great. Plus with Fangs of the Fire Snake you can nuke poo poo pretty handily, just as I said before, it devours your ki pool to do so.

Fangs of the Fire Snake does look pretty nasty. Do you think lowering the ki costs or opening up their disciplines to a long rest and prepare from the list style would help them out some? Well that would be more theorycrafting and less newbie advice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

You seem to be saying that this thread is not an advice thread, but a 5E hugbox. It's not.

Right. This is for new players (like myself) to ask questions and get advice without worrying about comparisons to different editions or end game theory craft.

However it looks like the question of making monsters generated a lot of discussion and that is good. Just remember to keep it positive and try not to overwhelm the new folks. :rolldice:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

So my Paladin just hit 5, any reason to multiclass into something else? Any cool combos to consider?

From what I have read that is when the paladin really starts ramping up in power. You're getting an extra attack now along with a lot of other goodies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

Hey King of the Thread,

Most monsters have average damage values next to dice values. Most of the time you want to use those average values instead of rolling dice.

I don't want to overwhelm new folks so I won't bother to explain why the above statement is true though :tipshat:

No need to be snarky dude. I just meant that a lot of new players aren't going to be able to wrap their heads around the higher end things yet since they are just learning the basics.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Naw, don't really have a reason to multiclass, just pondering ideas.

Last session a villian was monologuing and I stood in a belltower and pelted him with crossbow bolts to punctuate his sentences, it was pretty fun.

"Tough crowd."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

P.d0t posted:

To expand on this, as a general D&Dism, I nevertry not to ever put less than a 10 in any of CON/DEX/WIS (although in 4e DEX was less important)

CON: everyone needs it for HP, casters need it for Concentration, and it's a common save
DEX: everyone needs it for Initiative, non-heavy armor users need it for AC, and it's a common save
WIS: everyone needs it for (passive) Perception, it's the spellcasting stat for some casters and some important skills are associated with it, and it's a common save

On the flipside, the rare saves:

STR: only has one skill associated with it, mostly used for heavier/two-handed weapons or thrown weapons (you can get by using DEX instead, with finesse and/or ranged weapons)
INT: only Wizard and Eldritch Knight need it, has a bunch of skills though
CHA: if it isn't your spellcasting stat (Sorcerer, Warlock, Paladin, Bard), it's just there for social skills

That is a really nice breakdown to have, thank you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

NO, it has to be as much like a boring MMO as possible: when your character levels that's it, if you want to play lower levels then you have to roll a new character

Going to need to sign up for the buddy leveling system or purchase double experience tokens from the game store. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Our DM was using older edition monsters and modifying them to 5e. We ran into some issues where a large swarm of lower level mobs could overwhelm a party due to 5e hps and damage. It's something he had to work on balancing. So it is certainly something to keep in mind.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

I'm playing a character focusing on grappling and unarmed strike, mixing Totem Barbarian, Open-Hand Monk and Battle-Master Fighter. I don't use weapons and armor due to Monk/Barbarian features. What are some good magic items to support this?

Cloak of Protection would be good. It's an uncommon with plus one to AC and saves. There is an uncommon bracer that gives two AC as well. Did you plan on using strength or dexterity for your damage?

Also there is some good discussion about grappling and what is offer earlier in the thread. The general discussion thread had some too but a lot of it was related to theory crafting and how 5e grappling compares to other editions. It seems 5e's much more limited as far as the advantages it can grant. Both are worth a look.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Are there any feats that you guys think are under powered or don't really work as intended?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I wanted to quote this here because I found it to be a useful breakdown and others might too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As I understand it, the spellcasting paradigm now seems to be:

Clerics and Druids always "know" all of their possible spells, then "prepare" a subset, then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells.

Wizards do not "know" all their spells right away, but they eventually can, and then "prepare" a subset, and then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells

Sorcerors and Bards will only ever "know" a small subset of all their possible spells, but every spell they know is also always "prepared", and then can spend their spell slots on any of their known/prepared spells

Sorcerors justify their smaller spell list through their metamagic and Dragon/Wild magic abilities/modifiers, and the Arcane spell list vis-a-vis the divine casters

Bards justify their smaller spell list through their non-Arcane-spellcasting abilities such as Inspiration, better combat capability or school-dipping spell selection, and Bard-specific spell list

Whether or not this is actually "balanced" I leave up as an exercise to the imagination, but that's certainly what it the idea of it seems to be

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

monkeyboydc posted:

So, I want to get in on some D&D.

The starter set seemed like a good place to begin, but here's my problem: I know my group isn't going to want to play with completely pre-made characters. They'll probably want to put their own goofy spin on them and have some choice with their abilties. Does the starter kit give players the option to tweak the pre-made characters to any degree - mainly their abilities - or is that something I'd have to get the Player's Guide for?

Unless it was changes recently the free player guide online is going to be missing classes and abilities (example the other cleric domains.) So if you want to be flexible with making your characters the full player handbook would be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

monkeyboydc posted:

Gotcha. Thanks for the help! I'll probably pick that up before we get started then.

It's a nice looking book. There isn't as much art as say the DM guide or the Monster manual from what I understand but you should get the bulk of what you need from it. Some stuff isn't worded quite as well as it could be but that is where this thread comes in handy.

• Locked thread