Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Semper Fudge posted:

I am entirely new to D&D, and table top games in general, as is the entirety of my group. I ended up getting stuck with DMing because I beat Baldur's Gate 2 a couple of times and that somehow made me the most qualified person for the job. So far the learning curve hasn't been quite as harsh as I expected it to be, but the thing I'm struggling with right now is loot. I really have no idea what I should be handing out and what I should be withholding and the whole randomly generated loot hoards aspect doesn't seem to be helping.

I'd reccommend usimg a premade module adventure for your first try. It'll help you get a hang of the mechanics of the game, and avoid the difficulty of designing encounters and gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You can either go for a plot reason, like all being wanted for the same crime, or sharing the same goal, or inter-character ones such as the fighter being the wizard's sister, the cleric wants to redeem the warlock, etc. with the latter you can get your players to come up with stuff and give out inspiration for meaningfully referencing them.

• Locked thread