Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Typh posted:

First time player here (and first time DM). My group just finished the Starter Set, which was actually pretty great at holding my hand. Maybe too great, in fact, because now I have zero idea on what happens next. I'm not terribly creative, so I'd like to depend on existing material, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on where to go next, considering I now have a party of 5th level heroes. I do have access to the DM guide/Monster Manual, but I'm unclear on whether or not those are even required with pre-built campaigns. If anybody has any tips or resources, they'd be appreciated. I've spent a bunch of time searching and I'm coming up empty.

While I don't play Next, I will say as a general principle, yes, you need the DMG and MM. Regardless of edition, no pre-written campaign can cover every eventuality. There will be times your players want to go off in their own direction, and times where you read the adventure and go "that's dumb" or "that won't work for my players" and need to revise it. Having those tools on hand will help prepare you to improvise and fill in any gaps that pop up in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread