Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

QuarkJets posted:

But that should go without saying! The DM is the mediator between the system and the players. It's going to be impossible to write a module that is suitable for every party composition.

What if a party is really lovely at dealing with melee opponents? Should modules not include monsters with melee attacks, either?

They would assume that a newbie DM would at least read the DM's guide, which explicitly states that the DM is in total control and should modify encounters so that they're appropriate for the players.

No, but they should give people advice on what to do when their party varies from the assumed default fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard setup. Something that tells newbies that having a bunch of harpies fly out of reach of their melee-heavy party and shoot them with bows all day would make for a really dull encounter, or that you need to give parties without a cleric a bunch more healing potions or they'll die horribly because they can't heal. Just give them advice that guides people towards being a good dungeon master, you know? That's all anyone can ask for, honestly.

But seriously, if the DMG was better at teaching people how to use the ultimate power of being a DM we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

koreban posted:

I managed to get through the first DM session to generally positive feedback from my friends. They're excited to play again (so they say).

I put their characters into a situation to bring them together, but now I'm trying to think up a hook to keep them together. Other than the "we're all friends and want to keep playing, so we'll follow this weird dwarf around", I want to give them a narrative reason not to just all go their own ways, as they probably logically would.

Does anyone have tips on how to work that sort of thing into their games?

Personally I'd just give them a general goal (say, finding the Lost Emerald of Ixn for Archmage Xavinar) and ask them why they're still traveling together. After all, they're as invested in keeping this group of PCs together as you are. They probably have a reason to stick with the rest of these idiots in their heads that they'd probably like better than whatever you'd come up with.

• Locked thread