Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I'm going to be starting up in a local group here in the next couple weeks, and I'm pretty torn about how to build my character. So far there is a Fighter and Ranger in the group, though we'll have 5 or 6 people playing including myself. I've been looking at a Sorcerer to start, maybe taking Storm origin. Either that or Favored Soul with the Life domain to get some clutch heals if necessary. With everyone being so new to the game, I'd like to optimize my character without going entirely too overboard into munchkin territory. I've read mixed about Favored Soul being overpowered, though. Would a Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass of some kind be better? Am I pigeonholing myself too much into damage-dealer territory?

Our DM is allowing any and all official source material. He's even open to converting some 4e things if we need to, but no homebrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is the Arcane Domain for clerics out of the new SCAG a good choice for Favored Soul Sorcs?

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
What's the best way to get a character going that teleports around and slings damage from ranged?

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

slydingdoor posted:

Class: Take Sorcerer to at least level 5 before dipping Warlock 2 (any subtype from either), spam Misty Step with Eldritch Blasts. Maybe take Spell Sniper if your DM is being rough about cover bonuses and you're always fighting high AC enemies.

Race: Be a half elf and beg the DM to let you trade Skill Versatility for the Eladrin subrace's 1/rest Misty Step.

Nothing else does ranged, damage, and teleports. Conjurer Wizards don't do damage, they control. Rangers can't teleport. Paladins can't ranged well. Warlocks can't really teleport and damage more than once a fight.

Why Sorcerer to 5?

What I was looking at was something like Sorc 1 for the Con save, Lock 1 for Hex/Eldritch blast, Lock 2 for Agonizing Blast. Maybe Lock 3 for the Chain/Familiar? Then Sorc levels again, using Lock spells to restory Sorc points before rests with Quickened/Twinned spell for Agonizing EB. If I can get the Eladrin part of Half-Elf going, would that work?

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 11, 2015

• Locked thread