Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I am creating a level 5 character for a campaign starting soon, and want to go with an Abjuration Dwarf Wizard. My plan is to load up on defensive and reactive spells and medium armor, and be a front line caster. We're allowed to each start with an Uncommon item and was looking at the Sentinel Shield (the DM is letting me engrave runes on my shield to use it as an Arcane Focus). The item gives advantage on Initiative and Perception checks. I already have advantage on Perception checks from my background, and have the Observant feat from level 4 (I started with 15 int, so I wanted a feat with +1 int attached, since that's the same benefit as +2 int from the ability increase)
Since I already have a 19 passive perception, is it still worthwhile getting advantage on active perception, or would something like a Warning Hammer be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I have found that the Complete Spell Sheets Per Class pdf is incredibly useful for any spellcasters. While it won't help you DM directly, it does cut down on your players looking stuff up, which is always a plus

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=4156

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Honestly, you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't scale as fast as the rest of the party. This will give it relevant non-combat tools the party can use, but stops the warlock from essentially having two characters. Since it's a familiar (albeit an insubordinate one), you shouldn't have any problems with stealing the spotlight or getting the DM too involved in party decisions.

The biggest thing is that your players are on board with the idea. If so, it sounds like a cool story idea and a tidy solution to an incomplete party.

• Locked thread