Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!
First time player here (and first time DM). My group just finished the Starter Set, which was actually pretty great at holding my hand. Maybe too great, in fact, because now I have zero idea on what happens next. I'm not terribly creative, so I'd like to depend on existing material, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on where to go next, considering I now have a party of 5th level heroes. I do have access to the DM guide/Monster Manual, but I'm unclear on whether or not those are even required with pre-built campaigns. If anybody has any tips or resources, they'd be appreciated. I've spent a bunch of time searching and I'm coming up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

Hello Sailor posted:

If you're going to run pre-existing material, such as published adventures, make sure to switch things up a bit. It's almost a given that at least one of your players has read the material and will make decisions for their PCs based upon it. Sometimes they'll out themselves by getting mad when you deviate from the material, which is a hoot.
That definitely is not a problem in my group. We're all pretty clueless, and don't put in much time outside of game time (DM prep excluded).

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you want a module you can go into after lost mines. Princes of the Apoaclypse is pretty good for that. It even has info on how to continue from Lost Mines as the locations they take place at are very close. As your characters will be Level 5 they will be ready on the spot for the main story line.
This is exactly the information I was looking for online, but failed to find. Thank you.

• Locked thread