Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

thespaceinvader posted:

If you're houseruling short rests anyway, be prepared to house rule it further than that - short rests are fundamentally a narrative convenience for 'mechanically, some limited resources refresh and you get access to some others' - any time it could be reasonable for them to take a short rest, and they're due one, it should be possible for them to take one. Even if it's 'you stop and drink from the enchanted pool' or 'your god smiles on your recent success and you feel reinvigorated'. Don't feel hidebound to 'you must sit and do nothing for x minutes', however big or small x is. Same for long rests.

I'd also like to point out that quite a number of the officially published material from the early 5E encounters did exactly this. It was also done heavily in 4E too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

NameHurtBrain posted:

Multi-Classing:
-The first class you take for Level 1 is the most important, because it determines your full array of proficiency. IE: You only get the save proficiency of your first class, as well as your skills. You cannot gain heavy armor proficiency from multiclassing. If you want to be an Heavily Armored Wizard with a sword, your first level should be Fighter, not Wizard.

This is not true. If you multi-class as Cleric, you gain the domain feature as a normal class feature, which includes the ability to gain proficiency in Heavy Armor from Life and War domains.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

NameHurtBrain posted:

Ah, loophole. Didn't notice. Advice still stands for the standard Wizard Knight, though. By RAW you need 13 WIS to multi-class cleric, and said Heavily Armored Artillery Wizard is looking at serious MAD from STR(need for Armor if nothing else)/INT/CON alone without tacking WIS on there.

Alternately get a cool DM who just lets you have Heavy Armor proficiency for a level of fighter. If your character takes up a sword and armor as a wizard, it seems pointless to say NO YOU CAN'T GET THIS THROUGH NORMAL FIGHTER TRAINING. (Cause I look at the armor proficiency feats as traps really. The martial weapon one too.)

You don't need any STR; the strength requirement is just so you can move at 30 feet instead of 20 feet. Barely matters. Use your familiar to deliver your touch spells if that is an issue, or just don't worry about it because 2 less squares of movement doesn't matter.

You don't multiclass Cleric. You start with your first level in Cleric, because WIS/CHA are better saves than CHA/INT, and the Cleric proficiencies are slightly better. Your first HD is maxed at 8 instead of 6 so its 2 free HP.

Going a level of fighter lets you take +1 AC from the fighting style, but I think the spell slot progression, basic healing spells, and other goodies from the Cleric are superior.

If you want to be a Wizard who is also a fighter go Fighter 10 / Wizard 10, or play a Bard.

quote:

After DMing a ton of 4e games and having to deal with all the maps/minis hassle, I've been running my 5E game without and minis or maps whatsoever. It seems to be going alright, but I was wondering if people other than myself have had any success in doing it? I started up with a new group this time and while nobody seemed to have an issue with it, one guy brought a ton of minis with him and sorta assumed I'd be using maps. I like running sandbox-style games it is a real pain to have to quickly come up with maps and layouts during a session.

Get a bunch of cheap poster maps. I have a collection from running D&D 4E and from 3.X dragon magazines, so I am a bit spoiled. I also bought and have a dungeon tile collection.

Need to go cheaper? Buy gridded map paper: http://www.gamingpaper.com/index.php

You can probably pick this stuff up at your FLGS. Get one of your players with SKills of an Artist to draw out various Factory Standard fantasy areas. Village. Cave. Temple. Wizard Tower. etc. Repeatedly reuse this stuff they way you would a poster map.

Basically you are right, having to quickly come up with maps and layouts is hard. Instead, you should do it ahead of time and since you run sandbox quote en quote, you will need to prep more to cover more stuff.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Wizards get plenty of good magic items, there are tons of varieties of magical full plate and shields.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Bitterness posted:

Or get a vinyl one that you can use a whiteboard pen on.

He doesn't want to have to draw maps on the fly. This is for making them ahead of time and then re-using them for different scenarios and situations.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Elendil004 posted:

So my Paladin just hit 5, any reason to multiclass into something else? Any cool combos to consider?

Dunno, do you want to go Paladin 5 / Whatever else 15 for some reason?

Just go Paladin 20 if you want to play a Paladin. This edition is not really about multiclassing, unless you are a Wizard and want to bump up your AC, or are doing some Warlock thing.

As for combos? You could take feat combos. You could take Resilient (DEX Saves) for CHA + DEX + Prof. Modifier. Honestly there are not a lot of options. You choose "Paladin" and the type of paladin at character gen. Honestly you could go Paladin 5 / Cleric 15, but I am not exactly sure why you would.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Trast posted:

Right. This is for new players (like myself) to ask questions and get advice without worrying about comparisons to different editions or end game theory craft.

However it looks like the question of making monsters generated a lot of discussion and that is good. Just remember to keep it positive and try not to overwhelm the new folks. :rolldice:

Hey King of the Thread,

Most monsters have average damage values next to dice values. Most of the time you want to use those average values instead of rolling dice.

I don't want to overwhelm new folks so I won't bother to explain why the above statement is true though :tipshat:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Ryuujin posted:

It was Adventurer's League, you always start with a 1st level character, and I was going to bring it to a 1st level newbie group that was mostly a bunch of little kids. You can bring the character from game to game, table to table, though.

Does Adventurer's League really have no League rules for starting a character at higher XP totals?

As an FYI, in 4E Living Forgotten Realms the level band was set up such as that:

* No PC could be greater than 3 levels apart, so the max you could have would be a level 1 PC in a party of level 4 PCs.
* Additionally, the level of the adventure had to obey this rule as well, so a level 1 PC could playing a level 4 Adventure (playing up).

Are Adventurer's League adventures level gated? AKA are there adventure tiers? My FLGS is setting up an Adventurer's League, and if its just a set of organized play problems waiting to happen I want to warn them in advance.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

mrbass21 posted:

I have never played DnD, but have always wanted to. I read through the players basic guide, did an interest check with some friends, and picked up the starter set.

I'll probably end up starting as the DM, knowing my friends. Will the starter kit baby me through it, or is there some extra reading or tips I should know to help me not make it suck?

I read the starter kit takes you to level 5, and I think the basic takes you to level 20. What do you do after that point? Does the player/DM handbook tell you how to level forever, or do you just kind of make it up?

Best advice I can give is always ignore the rules when something would be fun, and be permissive with your players. Do you have RPG experience in other games? I feel like going in blind to D&D NEXT can be a bit rough.

Are you going to run the published adventure, or are you going to make things up yourself?

Oh and also advice since these threads seem to be full of crazy fuckers: avoid weird and terrible poo poo like rape, murdering babies, using children as spell components, and the sale of the harvested dicks of slain enemies.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 10, 2015

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I think its also silly to care about out-of-combat healing capacity (20d6 total over the minute duration) when there is literally nothing to spend gold on other than potions of healing.

Like the only healing you need is a bonus action spell to get people up from negatives/0 to positive HP. Healing in-combat should otherwise really only be done with the Heal spell.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 12, 2015

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

isndl posted:

Depending on the campaign, you might be getting dicked on gold and potion drops. In those situations, the option of everyone standing around basking in a cloud of health after a fight to save time/HD doesn't look so bad. It also counts as the bonus action heal to get people up that you mention, although it does cost a standard action to start it up.

if you are getting dicked on gold and potion drops then why are you spending spell slots to heal people instead of taking long rests or something.

like, as a piece of advice to newbies, healing is really broken in D&D 5E except as something you do in an emergency to get someone back up. if your DM is not giving you gold/letting you buy potions of healing, just take long rests so he can live out his gritty fantasy vietnam pastiche, don't try to fight it by using your spell slots to heal.

because the end path of that road is the DM throws some encounters at you, and you burn your spells dealing with it, and then people go into the fight at half HP, and the giant rolls a crit with its club and now you have a TPK. Healing spells are not for healing people to full HP outside of combat - you can use them for this, but its a bad idea when you could be using those spells to do useful things instead. This is kind of hard to explain other than "really just trust me, don't get your DM in the habit of presuming you use this resource each day in this specific way", because it scales really poorly vs. monster damage (so its going to vary wildly depending on how encounters are built), its random (you roll dice for the healing, so you have no clue if your spell slots represent "enough" healing or not), and the variance is HUGE. 20d6, after all, is between 20 and 120, probably somewhere around 70. At level 8, my Wizard has 60 HP. I think you can see the problem here; how many Wizards are you going to be able to heal? How many 3rd level spell slots become dedicated for healing? How does the DM balance this out over the course of the day to test your resources?

Its really crappy and it doesn't work in practice, so the best method is to let people heal via potions or a modified hit-dice system. Then you can throw encounters at the players with a higher variance and know that, on average, one encounter isn't going to have a chance to really throw off the session and force the players back to town to rest because the DM had lucky dice.

Unless you want VERISIMILITUDE of course in which case may St. Pelor have mercy upon your soul, your game is well and truly hosed in so many ways its not worth counting.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 12, 2015

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

isndl posted:

You're spending spell slots because you already spent it during the fight to start it up and you might as well use it to its full extent? It's not even a bad spell for picking people up in combat, since odds are they're going to go down again with only the 2d6 HP they received and you can repeat the healing for free across multiple turns. I'm not advocating it as a replacement to hit dice or potion healing, I'm saying it works as a supplement if those two fall short.

Sometimes you won't have time for a short rest, let alone a long rest (especially if you're using hour long short rests). Not because the DM is being a dick, but because the plot demands it or the encounters are structured in a way to require this. This was true even in 4e, where the healing mechanics were much more rigorously defined and short rests only took five minutes.

You edited in a bunch of stuff about variance while I wrote that and yeah, I agree it sucks. Not every DM is going to rework the system to account for its failings though, whether that means changing the healing mechanics or showering the players in gold and potions.

Its a standard action to use it, and its concentration and your bonus action. So the opportunity cost is that its a 3rd level spell that precludes you from casting other concentration spells, and you have to somewhat consider it in that context.

Look at two other concentration spells that do stuff in combat and are applicable here.

Bless - add 1d4 to hit. Level 1, 3 targets, a 3rd level bless would hit 5 targets. In this game of bounded accuracy, boosting to-hit via bless is very huge (unless the stuff you are fighting has like 11 AC, in which case who cares).

Haste - extra action, some buffs. Primarily, gives another attack as its main offensive ability.

Neither consume your bonus action - which as a bard you might actually want to use to throw out inspiration during a fight. At first, the spell does look really good - but it does come with an action cost and an opportunity cost. You are not doing stuff in combat which could make the combat end faster - you are just throwing out 2d6 per round.

Let me explain in another way: Lets say Monster X hits for 27 damage. That represents 3.8 rounds of you maintaining the spell, to heal that damage away. This game system is biased against offensive action to remove a threat - if Bless had let one or two more attacks hit, the chances are the fight would have been over faster, meaning the monster has less chances of getting hits in. Healing is reactive, you have to understand - you use the spell, and you standard action, AFTER your ally has been hit. By the time PCs are dropping, you need to be using your standard actions to end the fight ASAP, by taking the remaining enemies out - you cannot out-heal their damage output. Especially since, when hit, you have a high chance of losing the spell, and this a Lore not Valor bard, so no medium armor and shields (unless you dipped a single level into cleric for heavy armor. btw this is a good idea, gives you bless and the bonus action healing word thing).

It just never makes sense to heal in combat since you want to be removing the threats taht deal more damage than you can possibly heal away.

If you can't rest enough to drink potions/spend hit dice, then you can't rest enough to sit there casting spells. You are also robbing from peter to pay paul - by spending spell slots on healing, you are not spending them on making the next fight easier/end faster. In fact, by spending them healing you reduce the options available to solve problems via combat to hoping the maths of your party's effective HP (total HP X chance to be hit from the monsters) is greater than the monster effective HP (total chance for you to hit them X their HP). Without abilities (spells, special actions like fighters) it does become a simple dice rolling game where a bad streak can make you lose. Spells are generally exceptionally good at throwing the odds in your favor via buffs and debuffs. Healing is the crudest way to do this. Most players instinctively pick up on this in gameplay.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

mastershakeman posted:

So your solution to a DM that doesn't hand out healing potions and also sticks to time pressure is to say gently caress it, we'd rather suicide our characters?

I forget, are you the one who cuts off dicks and is upset that they can't be sold, or the one that uses fetuses as spell components?

slydingdoor posted:

Do note that dipping Cleric 1 for the Life domain gets you heavy armor, shields, and 5 more healing per round on AoV, 50 more hp over the whole channel. 20-120 avg 70 becomes 70-170 avg 120. That helps with the variance. That 27 damage per round monster gets pretty much outhealed if it doesn't hit every round consecutively, or if you have a Heavy Armor Master, or a Rogue with Uncanny Dodge, or a raging barbarian.

If you want to run a "buff the barbarian" strat, this spell owns, because they lose their Rage buff if they get KO'd, and their buff is really good at letting them fight through focus fire (resistance) and disadvantage granting status effects (advantage cancels it out).

If you want another idea for a fun spell to take with Lore, take a look at Conjure Animals and the stats of the Constrictor Snake, Draft Horse, Elk, Flying Snake, Giant Poisonous Snake, maybe the plain Wolf. Imagine having 8 of those guys, mix and match if you want. 4 Warhorses ain't bad either against a low AC prone target. They suck against nonmagical resistant enemies though and a lot of things ignore poison damage. In that case, an 8 segment wall of meat spamming Shoves or Helps or readying dashes or disengages to bodyblock enemies is pretty funny.

Dipping Cleric 1 for the Life Domain is like the absolute best thing bards and Wizards can do at level 1. Its pretty amazing overall, giving you bless, basic healing, more cantrips, better saves, and heavy armor + shields.

That being said, I had totally missed how the disciple of life feature is worded; a channeled heal certainly benefits from it on each pulse. The combination of 20 AC (Full plate + shield) and healing 2d6+5 (avg. 12) per pulse vs. a straight 2d6 (avg. 7) actually makes the scenario of out-healing an enemy possible. I don't think a normal bard should take this, but I think Cleric 1 (Life) + Lore Bard makes it viable.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Burglar posted:

The fetus was the spell's target, not a spell's component :eng101:

Please remember that the whole topic came up because the evil sorceress was going to use the human fetus as the spell component, as it required a 'living person', and the "does the baby-bump get hit by lightning bolt?" question was a Real Issue in the game mastershakesman plays in. and he was proud of this, and told us.

Which is why any opinion or advice he has on how newbies should play D&D next is hot garbage and safely ignored

• Locked thread