Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There are certainly movies and other media where a skilled swordsman demonstrates his badass sword skills with some :krad: flourishes and whatnot and it intimidates the mooks that have no chance against him in a fight. I think that'd be a proper use of DEX for Intimidate.

Edit: I think Zorro could pull off some Intimidate (DEX) checks.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Warlocks who use the Pact of the Blade and make melee attacks with their pact weapons still use the normal STR or DEX (for Finesse weapons) score to make attacks, right? So the only time they make attacks with CHA is when they use Eldritch Blast or other spells/cantrips/incantations/whateverthefuckelse mechanics Warlocks have that are spell-like?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
He could also play a Hunter Ranger and just have the animal companion as a non-combat pet flavor type of thing. Or a weak combat pet like an attack dog from the DMG or whatever. Rangers are lousy enough mechanically that it probably wouldn't break the game even if he played a Hunter with a decent pet.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Player Drow get disadvantage on attack and perception rolls if they or their target are in bright light. I don't have a Monster Manual so I don't know if any actual monsters have penalties.

In the play test that introduced Drow there was an item you could buy that was basically a pair of shaded goggles, Riddick-style, to remove such penalties. Don't know if it made it to final print as a non-PHB magic item.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
He's implying :filez: without stating it outright. Hence the "somehow have PDF copies" bit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Really Pants posted:

They made you bring a 1st-level character to a 3rd/4th-level party?

YOU EARN YOUR XP LIKE GOD GYGAX INTENDED :reject:

Also what's stopping you from having like the same character at multiple levels, so you can play with different level groups?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ok, am I crazy or are a ton of Oath of Devotion paladin spells redundant with the base paladin spell list?

Spell level 1, protection from good and evil are base spells.
2, both lesser restoration AND zone of truth are base spells.
3, dispel magic is a base spell.
4 and 5 are fine.

There's also one redundancy for Oath of Vengeance: spell level 4's banishment.

How do you get away with this poo poo? How lazy is your "team" that they never bothered to cross-check the oath spells with the base ones once the lists were finalized? And with some cursory searching I'm not finding anything mentioning these redundancies which is making me question my sanity.

Help.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah I finally found that in the rules. That makes sense I guess. Too bad most of Devotion's redundant oath spells are crap ones.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

If your group is fun and your dm is competent then you'll be fine, but be aware that a lot of old grognards are saying that the fighter is lovely and that casters are overpowered. Won't matter if you have a cool group, although from a role playing standpoint barbarians are more rad

"old grognards"

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Be truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Action economy dickery breaks unbalances the game? Well I am shocked :monocle:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Laphroaig posted:

I forget, are you the one who cuts off dicks and is upset that they can't be sold, or the one that uses fetuses as spell components?

The fetus was the spell's target, not a spell's component :eng101:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So it's like that terrible Pathfinder image of the fighter. You know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Dark Sun in 4E had rules re: distance travel in inhospitable environments. If you're looking to do some "traveling through desolate, hostile lands" then you might want to give the Dark Sun Campaign Setting a look. Also give it a look anyway because Dark Sun loving owns.

I'm going to thumb through my book to check, but I don't think it would be hard to convert the mechanic from 4E to 5E.

Edit: I need to check whether it was the Campaign Guide or the Monster Manual (I think it was the MM) but it also had "environmental encounters" that were mechanically kinda-sorta like a fight but it was basically "try to not die in this super-magical-storm" kinda thing.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 11, 2015

• Locked thread