Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I couldn't find the third one, or the pillars I needed to rotate. I think I need to activate a quest or something to proceed. At least there weren't any Draugr around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i think i broke video games, i dont want to play any right now

help

Just fire up Skyrim.

Finger Prince

I didn't like the time pressures they put into xcom 2. Turn limits are fine, but I didn't like the anxiety inducing doomsday clock. I get that you can pretty much ignore it, but it's like ignoring your alarm clock instead of turning it off. I went through a binge of all the Shadowrun games on steam and really wanted more of that style game, but xcom 2 didn't really do it for me.

Finger Prince

I picked up the ffx remaster on sale and omfg I forgot about all the unskippable cutscenes in this game.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

i honestly think my favourite game is bruteforcing rules.

give me hidden values, pokemon. don't tell me that doing pullups increases my stamina, metal gear solid. stats on horses are different, and you can sorta tell by colour? cool beans botw.

the wish fulfillment i get from games is literally the ability to try the same thing 5 different ways with no lasting consequences. i have more fun dying in skyrim sneaking, then dying magicing, then dying every way till i figure out the perfect approach and it feels so good than i do "playing" "the" "game"

even figuring out nexus mod config stuff was fun for me. everything is a puzzle!

Spend more time trying to jump over the mountain in skyrim than it would to just walk around it.

I love to explore every little nook and cranny in games, looking for secrets. And I'm nearly always disappointed. When you finally manage to get up on the roof of that building that has no obvious purpose or way of getting up there, and there's no treasure or hidden message? So disappointing. That's where games like dragon quest and FF (some of them, anyway) and Borderlands get it so right. Even if it's just a box with a bit of money in it, it's like a reward from the designers who are like, well I'm glad you noticed that map anomaly and spent an hour trying to get at it, and finally did, and there's literally no reason for you to be up here, but we put a box there anyway, just for you. Congratulations.

Finger Prince

Like, no offense to folks who dig it, I'm sure they're great games, and different strokes and all that, but folks were going on about the mass effect games in another forum, about the strong interpersonal relationships you build with the characters and stuff... And I genuinely am more interested in whether I can drive my moon buggy to the top of that precipice over there, and what I might find or see there. Oh, map glitch! Cool! I liked playing Andromeda. It was a fun game, and I don't get why everyone hates it. But I guess if they're looking to develop strong feelings for the characters who maybe aren't written as well as they were the older games (I don't know, I only played andromeda) instead of trying to find secret spots in the mountains, or hidden areas, or doing cool jumps in the moon buggy, they might not like it as much.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

i have a compulsion to ALWAYS check behind waterfalls, and the rare time i find a thing, or tunnel

oooooooooooo that's good video game

gently caress yeah! Even if it's just a useless skull!

Finger Prince

I saw a kid playing a Switch on an airplane recently and it looked really good. I might look at getting one for travel and stuff, then I can actually play breath of the wild.

Finger Prince

I absolutely love the rich, detailed, and beautiful worlds that Rockstar builds, like RDR 2, but I find actually playing them I just get bogged down in the minutae of sub quests, side quests, challenges, and accrual that they just get so boring after a while. Then I'll go back months later and start playing again and be like, goddamn this world is gorgeous, and withing a few hours I'm just trying to catch the biggest fish or explore the hinterlands so far from my next quest object and its like, poo poo why is there not fast travel in this game. It's going to take like half an hour to get back to the trapper at this point. And half way you get distracted by climbing a distant bluff, and fehhh I'm done.

Probably the best most fun open world games I've played (other than skyrim which I will love forever) are Farcry Tribal, which is just so loving fun, and probably the only game in recent memory that I 100% completed, and Horizon Zero Dawn which blew me away with how loving good it was. Probably one of the best games I've played. I missed a few beast hunts in it because they were really tough and annoying, but otherwise you just complete all of it because all of it is so good.

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

This is why I like No Man's Sky, you see something cool you go do it, you can always call your ship down to get out when you get bored. Then you hop to another system and are on a completely different planet seconds later. You can setup portals as of I think the Summer (it was live when I played in July). Loading a planet from space is pretty laggy but other than that transition I couldn't find any performance issues.

If you haven't looked at No Mans Sky since release you should look again, they've released a ton of free content that really could have been 2-3 DLC expansions at $20 each and be worth it (if they didn't feel the need to apologize for the base game). I'm very much on board with them as devs that fix their poo poo and wouldn't have a problem pre-ordering something from them because of it. Solid track record.

I liked it when it came out, even though it was really rough, and I really liked all the improvements. I still play it occasionally. I still don't really understand the objective, or if there even is an objective. I think you vaguely are supposed to head to the galactic core? But that's sort of the game. They put a vague objective for people to do if they are inclined, but in no way is the game built implying that you should do that. The only thing I find is that resource extraction is still tedious as heck, especially when it comes to building your base. The planetary buggies/hoverbikes/trucks seemed an unnecessary addition except you need them to break certain rocks to get special resources. And there's never enough storage space! You see a cool ship with loads of cargo space and check the price, and it's like holy crap how much rock am I going to have to grind just to afford that, just so I can store all the rock I ground? And I don't even know wtf to do with the convoy ships you can get. It's a good game and very chill, but I get frustrated with it after a while.

Finger Prince

Yeah I totally get the stagecoach and train based fast travel from an immersion point of view, which is kind of the whole ethos of those games. I get it. It's just annoying. Even if you black screen and fast-forward the clock (even consuming resources like food and getting cold because you didn't pack your winter clothes) to get to previously visited waypoints, with a chance of random encounters interrupting you, that would help a lot.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

It's definitely a slow game, but I wanted to make sure you knew that you don't have to sit through the stagecoach or train ride and wait for it to travel. It instantly loads you to the destination point. By instant I mean you get a load screen but it's still much faster than traveling by horse most of the time. I originally thought that you had to physically ride the train and wait for the ride to finish.

Haha, it's good slow though, but I can only take so much of that. I have actually ridden the train and stage for a whole journey just to see what it was like. Sometimes I'm like, yeah gently caress it, I've got time for a game or two of dominoes, and it's like a loving real-time game of dominoes which is like an entire day/night cycle in the game and now its morning and I was supposed to be hunting for nocturnal animals and I've been playing for hours and accomplished precisely jack poo poo both irl and in game.

Finger Prince

I got elite dangerous on ps4 and holy crap it's not console friendly. I tried and tried, but there's just so much annoying stuff in that game that gets hand waved off as "well its a space sim, duh". Like, you can get a Hyundai with auto parking today, you're telling me in the distant star-faring future, auto-docking is an expensive add-on that takes up a valuable inventory spot on your space ship?? I never did figure out how to land on a planet. I get that it's deliberately "old school", but Privateer is old school and did all the inferface and control stuff better decades ago.

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

Elite is all about docking your ship, that's where all the skill is. You automate that and there is no game

There's a hell of a lot of no game attached to a docking simulator.

Finger Prince

Civ VI is on sale on steam. It's still $20 though. It looks pretty much the same as Civ V. I should just play Civ V right? (or IV)

Finger Prince

Thanks guys, that's kind of what i figured. I passed on it, and hello what's this? Star Control Origins?
Yes.
Oh my yes.

Finger Prince

ToxicFrog posted:

Note that SC:O is the prequel made by the litigious bullshit merchants at Stardock and does not actually use any of the Star Control setting except the name; the SC2 sequel the original devs are working on (working title Ghosts of the Precursors) is still in development.

If you already knew that and are genuinely excited about it, please try it and report back!

I did not know that, and I am happy to report that SC:O is great. I've spent half a day playing it. The fact that it's so instantly familiar means they did something right with it. It honestly feels like a modern SC2, like an actual sequel (prequel). I don't know anything about the other one, but I really like this one. They've done a good job with it from what I've seen so far.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

this brings up a broader videogame discussion point i think a lot about :
in a lot of games where you control a "CHARACTER" there is an insane level of disconnect between gameplay behaviour and their personality, etc.

gta tried a few tactics here, from claude being basically a non character, to cj being "in character" no matter the circumstance, and in 5 they literally gave you 3 dudes so you can try and still be like "well this guy i like and he mostly drives, and has a dog" and "this guy is mentally ill and an addict and stuff, but VERY violent, but it's okay"

gta4 gave niko a strong singular characterization, provided justification for his combat skills and blase attitude towards life and death in a reasonable way, but by strongly defining the character clearly some people aren't going to like it.

it's a weird as poo poo thing, like how in fallout 4 they wanted you to have power armor from the start, so you don't make a character anymore, you are an ex military guy, so you have power armor training. and a wife. and a kid. and a story that you should care about, but don't.

That's why GTA3 was the best one imo, and the only one I actually completed, because I was invested in the character. And that character was just a blank slate, you projected your own wants and desires into it. It was an actual avatar. Playing as Nico or CJ or any of those guys, the game would sometime punish you for not adhering to their character. I don't mind games with a scripted lead if they're well written (they usually aren't), but I much prefer a mute player character that I can play as me, as I like, with well written NPCs/supporting cast.

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

Open world games do so much better when you can roleplay with the character. If you want to tell a story, then by all means have a deep character but giving a character a back story and the play a lot of choice just seems counter intuitive. Games try too hard to be two things open world and story driven. They are two very different types of games and I don't think either group is all that satisfied with current gen games. I recently played a bit of Pathfinder Kingmaker and that game gives you so much choice while providing world building. There's well defined NPCs and yeah you're a bit railroaded with your 5-6 dialog options but I can just pick the one that kind of does what I want. Okay I have to pick a direction I'm pissed at this dude because this guy has low int and of course doesn't realize it's a trick. So let's lead the party into a trap in a bullheaded run.

You want to have a cinematic experience? Okay you can make a game designed around being a character but the game should be more on rails if you want to tell a story. If it's open world each player is getting a different story that just doesn't work out. Your vision is to make money on buzz words if you want a deep backstory for the character and freedom of choice. (might actually be my main problem with Witcher, it tries to be open world with a character I don't want to RP as, I'd love to have him as an NPC companion though).

There's nothing wrong with liking both types of games, but a game should try and lean more into one or the other and stop trying to middle road everything. I was never really into the GTA games after they went 3D (GTA2 is still a great game). My brother was always really into them but finds the character back stories tedious so he doesn't play them anymore. GTA always seems like a go do dumb stuff don't care about the story, like Postal. It shouldn't have a plot it should just be fun. I mean you need the token bare bones plot but just enough that there's some end goal reason you are doing it.

I think Rockstar did a good job balancing Arthur's character and story in RDR2 (I never played RDR1 so don't know or really care about his backstory. There's enough exposition in RDR2 to get by). He's got enough personality to be like you're playing an authored character, but he's quiet enough that you can feel like it's you playing in the world. I'm still slowly chewing through that game, it's very beautiful, but there's soooo much to do and explore you almost never interact with the main quest. I started deliberately railroading the main plot just to advance it along since I was still at the second camp after who knows how long in-game months/years of play. They got the characters really right, but the extreme open world aspect means you never really interact with them.

Finger Prince

okiedoke posted:

The Forest is kind of boring so I'm downloading Witcher. Haven't played it myself, though feels like I have since it's been out forever.

Which Witcher?

Finger Prince

okiedoke posted:

Witcher 3. Wild Hunt version that's on sale in the playstation store.

I really liked that game when you play it as Geralt: Monster Detective. I just rushed through the main plot once I ran out of mysteries to solve.

Finger Prince

Just finished the hammerlock add-on for borderlands 3. It was vastly more fun and enjoyable and engaging and better written than the main campaign.

Finger Prince

Ixion from FFX is a goat.

Finger Prince

I just got this game called Stranded Deep on PS4. It's kind of buggy and glitchy and terrible and yet oddly addictive. You basically have to survive on a desert archipelago with what you can salvage from shipwrecks and flotsam and whatever plants are around. I don't think there's actually any victory scenario so I'll probably play until I'm bored or get to the point where I'm relatively sustainable or run out of palm trees to chop down. It's very different to most games I've played. Some try to add elements of survival to them, like try to remember to eat once every few days, but this one is like, wake up, get your still prepped for water. Get some fish. Eat a coconut, cook the fish, get more palm leaves for the still. Ok, got a bit of spare time, maybe I'll craft some encampment stuff. Need fibrous plants for lashing. Running out of fibrous plants. Drink water. Now it's dark., etc. You slowly exhaust the resources of your first island and have to start thinking about when you're going to have to move, what you can take with you, etc., then row out to another island, step on a snake in the dark and get poisoned.

Finger Prince

Yes, yes I would.

Finger Prince

I started playing death stranding. It's, ahh, I'm not sure yet.

I restarted playing no man's sky again. It had been many months. Every time I play it its better than the last time. It's really gooder now.

Finger Prince

vanisher posted:

death standing and the baby thing was just too crazy for me so I didn't buy it

and for no mans sky I just read so many negative reviews. I'll play Elite Dangerous all day long so its probably up my alley.

It's equal measures hosed up weird, Serious Story, and like, post ironic fetch quests. Ok so let's dispense with this whole "I'm a hero on an epic adventure" trope, and let's get to nitty gritty. You need 20 widgets delivered to the next base. I'm a courier. The main character is a courier.

As for NMS, compared to elite dangerous, if you like E:D because of how deliberately obtuse and difficult it makes things because Serious Space Simulation, you might find NMS too casual. If OTOH you like bright colours and pretty scenery, mining minerals, building a house, chill vibes and weird creatures, and not needing a special auto docking module just to land on a space station without crashing, you might enjoy it.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

death stranding is a good game with a lovely setting and theme but oh my god the dialogue

I was carrying hundreds of kilos of stuff on my bike and person to bring to the wind farm and it got stuck on a log and then BTs showed up and I got stuck in their tar and dropped everything and I just shut the game down and haven't played it since.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

One thing I figured out where you can sorta cheat is that the game doesn't autosave all that often. You could probably have loaded your last save and avoided a big hassle.

Hopefully it saved at the distribution center when I loaded everything up. Last time I went to the wind farm, I skirted the whole BT area by clambering along the mountains (skyrim skillz), but I was only lightly encumbered. This time I figured I'd max out my risk/reward by loading up, but being light and mobile is way easier. But then you have to do a bunch of tedious and time consuming trips to make up for it, and there must be a point where you just say gently caress it, throw everything in a post box and take your 10%, which seems to run counter to the point of the game, but I'm wondering if you could actually just play it that way.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you can crouch to negate the falling over mechanic and you can throw bottles of piss at the bts to make them go away

Yeah I got the piss poop and sweat grenades, but haven't used them yet. I was kind of hoping to just avoid the BTs on the bike, but I failed pretty badly at that. Getting stuck in their tar makes all your poo poo lootsplosion everywhere and I just start button mashing cuz I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm bad at these kind of video games.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

Which grenade would you least like to get hit by, piss, poo poo, sweat, or blood?

I had a howler monkey fling poo poo at me once, and honestly it wasn't that bad. But their poop is just chewed up leaves though.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

if you can accept that the balance / walking mechanics are where the challenge is, and that after the first few bt encounters you get weapons that can get rid of them, you will be fine

its sort of like elite dangerous but with legs

Oh come one, it's not that bad!
(I really dislike elite dangerous)

Finger Prince

A space ship with a leopard head on the front would be pretty badass.

Finger Prince

I picked up Generation zero on ps4 on sale. It's pretty good. Fps, with strong stealth, strategy, and story aspects. Set in Sweden in 1989, the world seems pretty realistic. Pretty fun figuring out what the hell is going on, why is everyone dead and there's aggro robots everywhere? It's pretty tough on normal mode because you're really resource poor and if you're a lousy shot (I'm a lousy shot), you run out of ammo in a hurry and then you're fuuuucked. But you can always try to avoid the robots. Much more chill in adventure mode.

Finger Prince

Evil Bob posted:

I'm just jumping into this thread.

Stoked that Horizon: Zero Dawn finally dropped on PC. Not entirely sure what I was expecting from it, but I am thoroughly enjoying it so far, and its beautiful, and my PC purrs like a kitten while I play it. All around good stuff. Sure wish God of War and Last of Us would come out on PC >.<

It is probably the best game I've played on ps4. When it first came out there was a lot of hype, and I was like ehhh, but I picked it up on a greatest hits sale and was like, this game is absolutely incredible and if anything the hype wasn't strong enough.

Finger Prince

I picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on sale a week or two back, figuring even if it was crap, it should at least be a cheap distraction.
Well turns out its super addictive. The characters are all hilariously caricature-y, which suits this kind of game perfectly, and I just get fully sucked into the story and side quests. Good mix of detective puzzling, stealth, and action, and so far the setting is cool (future Prague right now). I like how, unlike in other stealth shooters, you don't get punished for going hot. On the one level my guy accidentally vaulted a table trying to be sneaky and fell into the lower floor full of bad guys I'd just snuck past by creeping through the vents. Well poo poo, pull out the shotgun, run for cover and start blasting! Worked out great. Did another mission fully stealth and non-lethal and that worked out great too. Anyway, good game I overlooked for a long time, and worth a play if you get it for cheap.

Finger Prince

nut posted:

find me a puuzzle game that aint am i right

Portal is highly sexual if you think about. I try not to because I am chaste.

Finger Prince

I kind of wanted to try out Pokémon Go since it came out, and I figured it would be kinda neat because I used to travel a lot in the Before Times, but I don't know. It seems like the kind of thing that's not really designed for casual laziness.

Finger Prince

I try to walk a bunch on the weekend and go for bike rides but the weather is turning for poo poo now so it'll just be walkies mainly through the winter. Can you play it just as a collection and PVE game? Or do you have to battle tryhard randos and maintain the pokes like tamagochis and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

can I kick it?

*waits patiently*

Yes you can!